General Resumption and next season

I think whoever is in the top 4 from league two get promoted the top 3 from our league the top 3 from championship and then whoever is in relegation zones in those league get relegated I mean the season is nearly finished so those teams are obviously the best and worse in the respective leagues otherwise the scousers still won’t win a league and what would happen about bury
why top 3 in our league because it suits us as things stand?

the correct way is promotion for those in the autos scrap the play offs and adjust relegation accordingly, there is no promotion for 3rd place it's a play off system so nobody loses out

I think whoever is in the top 4 from league two get promoted the top 3 from our league the top 3 from championship and then whoever is in relegation zones in those league get relegated I mean the season is nearly finished so those teams are obviously the best and worse in the respective leagues otherwise the scousers still won’t win a league and what would happen about bury
Wycombe have a higher points per game than we do, so they should go up then?

why top 3 in our league because it suits us as things stand?

the correct way is promotion for those in the autos scrap the play offs and adjust relegation accordingly, there is no promotion for 3rd place it's a play off system so nobody loses out
How would you suggest the relegation system would work if you don’t promote enough teams from one league to fill the spaces left from the teams that get relegated and yes I would promote the top 3 just to suit us why not we deserve some luck ?

2) with the world cup already planned for winter 2022, then why not move the Euros to winter 2021, which would leave plenty of time between the resumption of this season and October/November 2021, to get this season done and complete another full one. The following season could then run for the 2021 calender year up to the world cup, with the one after that to get back to the normal routine.

If the epidemic stretches on for 2-3 months or more, then I think this is a really sound option. Although I think you could play the Euros in December 2020 as follows:

Let's say everyone is clear to play again in July.
Well, then we can play a couple of friendlies to get the players warmed back up, and start meaningful fixtures in August, as we usually do.
But instead of starting a new season, we instead finish the old season from where we left off.
Including the Cup, European fixtures, playoffs etc. then that would finish sometime in October/November.
Then take another break and play the Euros.
Then have the following season start in January and span the whole of 2021
Then have the season after that start in January 2022, but take eighteen months to complete it because we'll all take a couple of months out for the World Cup. If people are complaining because there's not enough fixtures, add another one-off cup competition.
Then we're back to normal.

It'll mean some really odd scheduling......but these are really odd times.

The only problem with this is player contracts.
Maybe you could get the PL, EFL and PFA together and try to negotiate a one-time blanket contract extension for everyone for six months?
Otherwise you would have to accept that when the current season restarted, teams would have very different squads than they do now.

The only problem with this is player contracts.
Maybe you could get the PL, EFL and PFA together and try to negotiate a one-time blanket contract extension for everyone for six months?
Otherwise you would have to accept that when the current season restarted, teams would have very different squads than they do now.
I am not sure that some players would go for an extension in their contracts.
And legally it couldn't be enforced.
The best bet is to try and finish the season by the end of June (if that's at all possible)

Just ban any transfers before the end of the current season regardless of when that is? Those out of contract before the current season ends can decide whether to play out the season or not - no play no pay - it would be ridiculous if players were snagged away with a couple of games left when their club is challenging of promotion. The EFL needs to use the cash it has scammed from clubs (tv revenues etc) to create a wages/operational costs fund to cover the downtime

Last edited:
I am not sure that some players would go for an extension in their contracts.
And legally it couldn't be enforced.
The best bet is to try and finish the season by the end of June (if that's at all possible)
Loan players could be the killer for many. Loan deals only tend to run until the end of May as the season doesn’t finish any later, including playoffs. So in principle if the season were to resume and end beyond May, a lot of clubs could well see players on loan not being able to complete the season due to the change in dates. In our case we could lose several players including Browne and... yes... my beloved Matthew.

There are a hell of a lot of potential headaches in play, both for clubs and the authorities who are going to have to find a way to rule on things. The more you realise just how many things could be impacted, and the more complex certain situations become, the more likely it is that they’re just going to pull the plug on the season.

How would you suggest the relegation system would work if you don’t promote enough teams from one league to fill the spaces left from the teams that get relegated and yes I would promote the top 3 just to suit us why not we deserve some luck ?

as stated you adjust accordingly it's simple really

If the season was made void and we would hopefully start up again in August, how will it affect every clubs revenue?
Our FD said we would lose £100k a week, I presume that would be to the normal end of the season when contracts etc expired.
If this happens how many of the lower league clubs survive, its going to take some brave decisions under the circumstances at the time to help football clubs move forward.

Too much money involved at the top level to place teams on current standings promotion, relegation without fulfilling fixtures, there would be court cases abound trying to avoid the dreaded drop as the situation stands now.

Anyone else see the national league just carrying on like nothing has happened and wasn’t surprised one bit? This is the same league that docked us five points for not sending a fax.

The fact the bbc are covering their games to a much higher degree shies exactly why they didn’t want to stop games - extra media coverage. Utterly reckless.

Anyone else see the national league just carrying on like nothing has happened and wasn’t surprised one bit? This is the same league that docked us five points for not sending a fax.

The fact the bbc are covering their games to a much higher degree shies exactly why they didn’t want to stop games - extra media coverage. Utterly reckless.
'City are currently 0-1 up in their Nat League South away match

It's absolute madness and I suspect that the heads of the National League who made this decision could be out of a job pretty soon. Or even legal cases brought against them.

Chesterfield have quite rightly hammered the decision due to the fact it turns out one of their recent opponents now has 4 employees that are self-isolating who their own players and officials possibly had contact with.

Other teams have stuck 2 fingers up to the league and postponed anyway.

'City away to 10 man Hampton & Richmond is 1-1 at HT ( home side scored very much against the run of play apparently)

Two more suggestions, one of which has already been mentioned elsewhere:
- stop this season now, promote those in auto places but no relegation. EPL runs with 22 teams, current 20 plus Leeds and West Brom; cov and Roth up from L1 to keep championship at 24; top 3 from
L2 to get L1 to 24, then barrow up to get L2 to 22.

Major relegations at end of season but everyone would be aware from the start. Biggest negative impact would probably be the League cup cancelled to allow extra league games and then not reintroduced.

- another idea suggested was to finish the current season once the all clear is given, then to create smaller leagues next season to get calendar back on track.
This would see something like the following: top 12/14 of prem in league A, rest of prem+top 8 of champ to league B, rest of champ(+/- prom/rel from L1) to league C; then similar for L1/L2 split into three.

Back
Top Bottom