Respecting Tiger

Frankie

The link below covers aspects of doing business with Thai people and some understanding of their culture. If you have time it is a good read and will maybe give some insight why Tiger does not rush into or make rash decisions. From reading it I believe there should be no surprises if other partners (investors) become involved with oufc. Plenty of other insights in this piece too when linking that information to his buyout of OUFC and communicating to fans.

http://www.leadershipcrossroads.com/mat/cou/Thailand.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops.. there’s a para in there that says “be patient and control your emotions”

He’s clearly in the wrong business ?

"In Thailand’s culture, ‘saving face’ is very essential. Harmony must be maintained at all cost, and emotional restraint is held in high esteem. Every person’s reputation and social standing rests on this concept."

Arriving late for the opening presser and having a winding up order from the tax authorities publicised in the media must have caused some serious 'loss of face!'

Whilst it's useful to be aware of cultural differences, Tigger should remember the maxim "When in Rome..." when it comes to dealing with the Oxford community.

"In Thailand’s culture, ‘saving face’ is very essential. Harmony must be maintained at all cost, and emotional restraint is held in high esteem. Every person’s reputation and social standing rests on this concept."

Arriving late for the opening presser and having a winding up order from the tax authorities publicised in the media must have caused some serious 'loss of face!'

Whilst it's useful to be aware of cultural differences, Tigger should remember the maxim "When in Rome..." when it comes to dealing with the Oxford community.

I'd assumed that the press conference counted as a social engagement hence the late arrival.

Interesting that in a thread about respecting our owner, you refer to him as Tigger! Can't wait for more hilarious posts!!

Interesting that in a thread about respecting our owner, you refer to him as Tigger! Can't wait for more hilarious posts!!

I think it’s amusing that offence can be taken at me calling charlie- Charles, but nothing about others calling our owner - tigger or ex owner - slippery.

I think it’s amusing that offence can be taken at me calling charlie- Charles, but nothing about others calling our owner - tigger or ex owner - slippery.
I think some of the playground name-calling on this forum (often by those who demand respect themselves) is rather pathetic.

It amuses me that some people can be so brave and quite frankly rude to other supporters when on this forum. They would not be brave enough to do that face to face. Its schoolboy behaviour and very childish showing immense immaturity and lack of real argument.

It amuses me that some people can be so brave and quite frankly rude to other supporters when on this forum. They would not be brave enough to do that face to face. Its schoolboy behaviour and very childish showing immense immaturity and lack of real argument.

Actually, to indicate that it would require "bravery" to address some forum members "face to face" would indicate schoolboy behaviour. What you are saying is that the threat of physical retaliation as opposed to verbal would inhibit free speech. Also, quite ironic that you decide to express yourself in such condemning tones. Accusing others of being childish and lacking in maturity is a little insulting, don't you think?
Oh, yes, there was the argument to substantiate my opinion. Satisfactory?

It would also explain plenty of people's response to Charlie then which you have a problem with.

Not at all. I take issue with those who respond in the negative to anything he says simply because it was said by him. I have disagreed with what has been said as many times as I have agreed. I don't always agree with the manner in which Charles posts but, that is something else.

And, as an aside, it was not Charles that gave DE the label of "slippery".

Actually, to indicate that it would require "bravery" to address some forum members "face to face" would indicate schoolboy behaviour. What you are saying is that the threat of physical retaliation as opposed to verbal would inhibit free speech. Also, quite ironic that you decide to express yourself in such condemning tones. Accusing others of being childish and lacking in maturity is a little insulting, don't you think?

I think most do respect Tiger after recent actions from the club. He did get off to a very rocky start with that first press conference but it’s the old saying of actions speak louder than words. To that effect there has certainly been a lot of actions put into place to improve things around the club.

I find it odd that Myles and Charlie have nothing to say on the recent badge change, the relaunch of the buses, the new kit coming out before the end of the season, ticket offers for the remainder of the season, Robinson’s clear objectives regarding developing the youth side of the club just as MApp did and also the comments from him about how well run the club is.

I find it hard how anyone can knock the club right now after recent activity off the pitch in such a short space of time.

On the pitch we need 2 wins to get us safe which I’m confident we will do with the remaining fixtures.

No, I do not agree that my comments were insulting, hurtful or immature. I have no intention of insulting anyone. Nor do I attack anyone 'personally' in my comment. To be pedantic, the only way someone could consider my comment as being insulting was if they considered themselves to be immature and childish. Indeed, your own response is a perfectly mature comment that I happen to disagree with. You replied without a personal attack. All I am saying is there is a mature and an immature way of conducting oneself. That shows respect to someones own opinion without the need to question someones personality or intelligence, both of which the writer has generally no idea of.

Back to my original opening post, I believe when one has an understanding of someones culture, in this case Tiger, it does help to understand some of the ways they/he may do their/his business. In this case, taking time to appoint a new manager, potential future partners and saying what someone wants to hear in order not to upset them reflects their/his upbringing and culture. This may all mean something or nothing but I found the article insightful.

And, having read the article I also believe a bit of respect for others opinion on this forum without the need to 'name call' would not go amiss. After all the fact is, as supporters, we all want the same thing which is the very best for OUFC.

'Going Dutch in Beijing' was a handy book I used to use when on business travel, to understand customs and culture (dont let a lady offer a handshake to a Saudi man). Still use it in the UK if I'm meeting someone new from overseas. Either a nice touch to make them welcome or knowledge if you want to annoy them. In Tigers case - I'm in the welcoming camp.

Back
Top Bottom