Respect

Manorlounger

I find this story of a bottle being thrown by, possibly, one of our own supporters, to be a very worrying incident.
This is just the sort of thing that leads to other clubs instigating more thorough searches pre-entry and more hostile stewarding.
It also means that those clubs which do allow bottles of water (plastic) to be taken into grounds will diminish.

A very sad day. I hope that the person is caught and banned. I also hope that they were not there as an OUFC supporter.

Shouldn’t of happened but let’s not get too carried away , you’ll want life bans next

Not that I’m condoning it but do we know if the bottle was glass or plastic and full or empty?

Or a pie.

Bollocks to this. The club always start the season with a sermon and now it's done.

Just stop being all macho and think for a minute. Swearing is harmless , throwing missiles that gain force from falling from a distance is dangerous, as is using hate speech.

The sterilisation of English football is nearly complete. I will choose to enjoy the old relics of real footballing crowd fun while I still can.

I think there is a fine line. I enjoy games where there is tension between fans, chants, shouting, gestures being made but throwing objects is stepping over the line.
How would these people like it if their son/daughter/brother/sister/wife/husband were hit by a flying object when they had just been sitting there watching the game.
The problem is that these days football is becoming much more a family day out. I take my 5 and 4 year olds to watch matches but there are certain games I wouldn't take them too. I will be taking my 5 year old to his first OUFC away day at Doncaster on New Years Day as I know it is an away game that will include lots of shouting and singing from the yellow army but I also know that there won't be any trouble.

Weren’t flares thrown by both a Pompey and a Cov fam at last years fixtures at the SOL, makes me wonder whether they’re planted in with the away support and then throw something get nicked but moved back in amongst the home support, then the Mackems start complaining of bad behaviour by the opposition fans.

I find this story of a bottle being thrown by, possibly, one of our own supporters, to be a very worrying incident.
This is just the sort of thing that leads to other clubs instigating more thorough searches pre-entry and more hostile stewarding.
It also means that those clubs which do allow bottles of water (plastic) to be taken into grounds will diminish.

A very sad day. I hope that the person is caught and banned. I also hope that they were not there as an OUFC supporter.
caught, been through court already, received an 18 month community order,£275 costs and fines along with a 5 year banning order

Seems very excessive but I suppose we don’t know details on the assault .

Also on same official site story , people been charged with online abusive behaviour to club staff. Guess this was to do with ticket office staff ?

I think there is a fine line. I enjoy games where there is tension between fans, chants, shouting, gestures being made but throwing objects is stepping over the line.
How would these people like it if their son/daughter/brother/sister/wife/husband were hit by a flying object when they had just been sitting there watching the game.
The problem is that these days football is becoming much more a family day out. I take my 5 and 4 year olds to watch matches but there are certain games I wouldn't take them too. I will be taking my 5 year old to his first OUFC away day at Doncaster on New Years Day as I know it is an away game that will include lots of shouting and singing from the yellow army but I also know that there won't be any trouble.

I also take my kids to games and likewise I have to pick and choose the games I take them too. Whilst I don't want to entirely sanitise the game, there are aspects that are simply unnecessary. Throwing a bottle down onto opposition fans is a pretty dumb and cowardly thing to do. It could hit anyone, and if that was a kid it could stop them coming back to football for years to come. Clubs like ours are constantly looking at ways to bring in the next generation of fans and incidents like this ruin a lot of that hard work.

So we should condemn the idiots who do this whilst also doing what we can to maintain the kind of environment that we all love about football.

I know it doesn't always feel like it, but it is only a bloody game and people should be able to go without fear of getting hurt.

Weren’t flares thrown by both a Pompey and a Cov fam at last years fixtures at the SOL, makes me wonder whether they’re planted in with the away support and then throw something get nicked but moved back in amongst the home support, then the Mackems start complaining of bad behaviour by the opposition fans.
Why would they throw things at their own fans Baz? I can't see any of us doing that, well apart from Birdio and Scotchegg!!

I agree, I took my son to Brentford and chose the seats for his first away game last season and then also took him to Coventry on the family coach. At Breeze block we sit just behind away dug out in SSL... got to be sensible with choices at that age... he's just turned six.
Mind you he still reminds me of my shouting against Bradford when the ref originally disallowed that goal and everyone was gathered around the other lino in front of us!!

I occasionally take some of my grandkids to the breeze block... hand pick the matches though ... that sid , my middle grandaughter at her first game (aged 9) sat next to me in SSL was making up her own songs to taunt the opposition fans, ( across the pitch from where my Dad, Nephew & Sister have ST seats) and belting em out at the top of her voice! .... she can come to football with me anytime (certain 'obvious' games excepted) as we won the first game she watched :)

Also on same official site story , people been charged with online abusive behaviour to club staff. Guess this was to do with ticket office staff ?
I think it was other staff members too based on one or two things that occurred last season. I believe one was Ian Mixter whose family have been threatened and abused online on more than one occasion.

Back
Top Bottom