National News Renault Zoe Electric Crash test

Peterdev

I see that the French Renault Zoe electric test has scored a 0/5 on a crash test with Auto Express.
Thats not going to do the French motor industry a lot of good short term.
Having being in a TESLA I was amazed at the technology on offer although of course they are way above most motorists budget.
I can’t believe how ugly most of the electric cars, especially the Leaf and Prius. Improvements have been in place with the introduction of the VW ID3 and maybe the BMW e.
For me I’m just about to order a Skoda Octavia petrol despite the drive away from petrol and diesel. The price of second hand cars by the way is truly shocking…pardon the pun

Last edited:
I see that the French electric test has scored a 0/5 on a crash test with Auto Express.
Having being in a TESLA I was amazed at the technology on offer although of course they are way above most motorists budget.
I can’t believe how ugly most of the electric cars, especially the Leaf and Prius. Improvements have been in place with the introduction of the VW ID3 and maybe the BMW e.
For me I’m just about to order a Skoda Octavia petrol despite the drive away from petrol and diesel. The price of second hand cars by the way is truly shocking…pardon the pun

Used car prices have definitely rocketed. I got a phone call off the garage I bought my astra from 2 years ago and they were offering 2k more than I paid for it without even seeing the vehicle. The problem is I would have to pay alot more to buy something else so I decided to keep. Still not sold on electric cars, the initial cost, capable range and time it takes to charge just isn't comparable of what I pay to run my 1.4L petrol. I only average 6k miles a year and sometimes barely do 50 miles a week in the winter months and also where I live is street parking in front of the house or a comunal carpark 20 metres down the road so until they install charging points in the road I'm a bit stumped.

IMO .... the push to all-electric cars is far too soon, batteries (lithium ) are not man enough- technology is advancing but its estimated 8-10 years before a viable, ( for long distance-possibly self-charging too), alternative to lithium is good to go
- Hybrid, electric for 'city/ town/ urban' use & switch to petrol/diesel for longer distances, to bridge the development period would make more realistic sense ( for a decade )

Besides, given how long certain areas of Scotland had NO electricity for, after that storm the other week, reality is, the UK is nowhere near ready for all-electric cars yet, and not for some time either

Last edited:
I see that the French electric test has scored a 0/5 on a crash test with Auto Express.
Disagree, the Prius looks great. What about the Hyundai Ioniq?

I’ve driven the Prius Many times. Not very exciting all.
The Hyundai looks ok to be fair. A neighbour has a Yaris hybrid that he is delighted with doing 80mpg, but it is too small for us.
I sold a Citigo SEL for £5250 In August. Someone came down from Scotland buying it over the phone. I’d wasted money on valeting it and looking after it. I’m sure I should’ve got £1250 more for it

As someone who is in no way a petrol head, fairly positive about being as green as I can, isn't that bothered about what a car looks like and has a drive on which we could charge our cars - I too am yet to be convinced about electric cars. They do seem to be ridiculously expensive, range still isn't great (and charging in the middle of a journey is way too slow for me) and I do worry about the longevity of lithium batteries and their effect on the environment when they get dumped. Sure the lithium might get recycled, but there are lots of other nasties in there. And surely lithium is a finite resource?

The hydrogen cell car always seemed like a better idea to me - I remember seeing one on Tomorrow's World when God was a lad, haven't they got that tech working properly yet?

Used car prices have definitely rocketed. I got a phone call off the garage I bought my astra from 2 years ago and they were offering 2k more than I paid for it without even seeing the vehicle. The problem is I would have to pay alot more to buy something else so I decided to keep. Still not sold on electric cars, the initial cost, capable range and time it takes to charge just isn't comparable of what I pay to run my 1.4L petrol. I only average 6k miles a year and sometimes barely do 50 miles a week in the winter months and also where I live is street parking in front of the house or a comunal carpark 20 metres down the road so until they install charging points in the road I'm a bit stumped.
Same situation here regarding EV. I live in a terrace so no driveway, and our local council is I think installing only 5 charging points for the whole town.

They are starting to install charging points on lampposts aren’t they? I’ve seen a few of those in London suburbs.

Electric cars will be interesting, either they’ll be like 3D films or (perhaps) VR in that they’ll be tried and failed, and we’ll go for hydrogen fuel cells or biofuels or something, or they’ll be like mobile phones and computers in that over time the technology will come on leaps and bounds, and soon enough everyone will have one. If they can double or triple battery size and efficiency in the next few years, and improve solar and wind power then maybe it will all work out…

The hydrogen cell car always seemed like a better idea to me - I remember seeing one on Tomorrow's World when God was a lad, haven't they got that tech working properly yet?
More likely that they haven’t figured out how to make it lucrative enough for the industry to allow it. Ability to produce something is always second to the ability to monetise something else to a greater extent.

We rented a Tesla 3 for a day and I really enjoyed driving it. If it was more suv like I’d consider it. The Y will be out of my price range if/when it gets here.
I’d buy an electric car tomorrow if there was stock, but australia is all sold out, with 6+ month delivery times for models done of which you can’t even test drive.
The Hyundai ioniq or (whatever the next one up is called - crap at car names) or the Kia Thingummy would be alright.

Interesting to hear people in Britain with range anxiety. I was thinking we’d have to get a PHEV for WA because of the distances (eg last weekend I did a 7 hour round trip just to pick something up from a country town), but the more I think about it, 4-500 km range EV charging off our solar panels (reliable sun in Perth) and then hiring an ICE car if we want to go further is probably a sensible option.

As someone who is in no way a petrol head, fairly positive about being as green as I can, isn't that bothered about what a car looks like and has a drive on which we could charge our cars - I too am yet to be convinced about electric cars. They do seem to be ridiculously expensive, range still isn't great (and charging in the middle of a journey is way too slow for me) and I do worry about the longevity of lithium batteries and their effect on the environment when they get dumped. Sure the lithium might get recycled, but there are lots of other nasties in there. And surely lithium is a finite resource?

Japan is looking to invest heavily in Hydrogen* and Hydrogen Cell technology so it may well appear very soon. The criticism is that they are looking to use new coal power stations (with Carbon Capture) to power the production of Blue Hydrogen.

UK/Multinational companies are investing in Hydrogen in the UK. BP is the latest looking to build a Hydrogen production site (Blue Hydrogen) on Teesside which will be its 2nd Production plant (Green Hydrogen) planned in the area.

My understanding (which could be wrong) is the hold back has been the energy intensity required to produce the Hydrogen making it problematic and therefore not environmentally friendly. Renewables and Carbon Capture (although there is doubts on this on how successful the technology is and the cost of it) make Hydrogen an option on a large scale now.

The other thing with all this worldwide investment in batteries, I'd expect to see massive leaps in the technology and possibly batteries being based off new materials rather than Lithium.

Will we need to build a few more power stations to provide all the electricity to daily charge the millions of electric cars by 2030... and what will be the source of this power?

Will we need to build a few more power stations to provide all the electricity to daily charge the millions of electric cars by 2030... and what will be the source of this power?

Nuclear and Renewables Hydrogen. :)

The ex-ground of the now dead Abingdon Town. The company that Ian Rush is involved with that own it are c**ts. 🤬:mad:

Wouldn't surprise me if they try and build houses on stilts on the ground, whole setup is strange at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom