League One Remembering the Bradford 56

Sarge

God like member
today, in 1985, 56 football supporters went to watch their team play and never returned home. Remember the Bradford 56 today31154259_10155673648309482_1264168033949453642_n.jpg

Sarge. The Bradford fire was on 11th May 1985
Was it? ....I stand corrected then :cautious:.....and will repost on May 11th

came up on one of my social media news feeds earlier today :rolleyes:

Last edited:
On the very same day as the Bradford Fire, 15 year old Ian Hambridge, attending his first ever game at St Andrews was crushed by a wall after Birmingham and Leeds fans fought with each other.

I always think that his death, and that of Kevin Olsson in 1974 are forgotten about much too easily.

Whenever the anniversary of Hillsborough comes around there's the usual "always the victims", "what about Heysel" from fans, but to me it's not concern for the victims of Heysel that fuels those comments, it's just the same tribalism that resulted in the deaths of two teenagers going to watch football matches.

I've been going to matches for long enough to understand that tribalism, but fans of all clubs are just "lucky" that their actions or the actions of the police that are supposed to protect them, haven't resulted in the deaths of more fans.

"There but for the grace of god..."

On the very same day as the Bradford Fire, 15 year old Ian Hambridge, attending his first ever game at St Andrews was crushed by a wall after Birmingham and Leeds fans fought with each other.

I always think that his death, and that of Kevin Olsson in 1974 are forgotten about much too easily.

Whenever the anniversary of Hillsborough comes around there's the usual "always the victims", "what about Heysel" from fans, but to me it's not concern for the victims of Heysel that fuels those comments, it's just the same tribalism that resulted in the deaths of two teenagers going to watch football matches.

I've been going to matches for long enough to understand that tribalism, but fans of all clubs are just "lucky" that their actions or the actions of the police that are supposed to protect them, haven't resulted in the deaths of more fans.

"There but for the grace of god..."
Absolutely right. jan-01-1971-collapsed-wall-injures-29-during-the-oxford-united-v-watford-E0YNXY.jpgWell said ....and well remembered @SiHath

I think it was luck and good fortune that those hurt at The Manor, when the wall at the London Road end collapsed during the FA Cup game v Watford, potentially could've sustained much worse injuries- BOTH teams played in changed kits- back in, I think, Jan '71? -there were 29 injuries of which 6 ( I think? ) required hospital treatment, - my younger Sister was sat on the wall at that game, the only time my Dad allowed her to go in the London Road end, also a mate of mine( via Lambretta Club Great Britain), a young teenager at that time, at the game 'supporting' Watford, was also sat on the wall when it collapsed. The game ended in a 1-1 draw, we lost the replay 1-2.

Back
Top Bottom