Relegation

It’s all very well saying that we have 31 from 23 games but our performances are deteriorating in my opinion. It’s certainly not inconceivable based on recent games that we’d struggle to pick up the required points.

Regarding the other stuff I just think it’s a real shame (as a 30 year old who missed the glory years) that the club seems to have completely lost its way from what was a really exciting period over the last few seasons particularly what looked to be an exciting and profitable recruitment policy.

Now it’s has beens and crocks that will be released at the end of the season because it’s blindingly obvious they are no longer cut out to play professional football in the third tier of the English leagues. Some would struggle in the local leagues!!

Relegation possibilities are in my mind , remembering that the year we dropped out of the league, people were still going on about being only a few points off the play offs in March.....2 months later we were non league.

We need to show some fight now, starting at preistfield tomorrow, get some points pretty damn quick.

I'm almost regretting getting Bradford tickets but now I've remembered that for my last 3 away games we were crap at home then won 4-1, 4-0 and drew 1-1 .....grabbing at straws a bit here!

Relegation possibilities are in my mind , remembering that the year we dropped out of the league, people were still going on about being only a few points off the play offs in March.....2 months later we were non league.

This is what also worries me...we sleepwalked into relegation that year (not helped by the dramas off the pitch of course). Once momentum is against you those lucky goals, penalty decisions, deflections all start going against you too. We have to start collecting points PDQ in my opinion...

Relegation? Seriously?

OK so to put it all into perspective. 19 points from 23 games required to get 50 points.

So we have 31 points in 23 games with a manager who plays a boy who is mates with his father and yet we can't get 19 from 23 games. Sseriously?

If anybody is serious about betting on relegation PM me and lets have a bet on that... (I am not expecting many takers)

Ok I know it’s unlikely, but this sort of post gives me the fear. I just imagine re-reading it in May, wondering where it all went wrong...

This club is set up to be relegated this season:

An owner who lost interest a year ago and has been trying to off-load his toy since
A marketing vacuum
A manager from the planet Catatonia who has the personality and charisma of a sponge
A group of journeymen prepared to wind quietly down in the twilight of their careers
Some lost kids

Change is necessary throughout the club. Now.

Absolute rubbish. We will not be relegated.

Relegation? Seriously?

OK so to put it all into perspective. 19 points from 23 games required to get 50 points.

So we have 31 points in 23 games with a manager who plays a boy who is mates with his father and yet we can't get 19 from 23 games. Sseriously?

If anybody is serious about betting on relegation PM me and lets have a bet on that... (I am not expecting many takers)

What odds will you give me on relegation please?

Our form over the last 5 games is a point a game, our form over the last 10 is also a point a game, at that pace we'd end with 54, just above what is often seen as the magic 50 points, really though even 50 points would almost always see you safe by a few points, but we certainly do need to start picking up just a few more points or we could be at least looking over our shoulders pretty soon

That's my worry , if we have disastrous xmas and get sucked in to the danger zone then we've seen enough from this lot to suggest that they haven't got the B*****s for a battle !!!

Relegation. I don’t think so as I think we have enough.
The play offs are dream as well though because we are nowhere near good enough. This season is over already and for the most part it’s been rubbish imo. I can’t think of to many positives either. Loads of players coming in, most of them useless. Crashing out of both domestic cups to league 2 teams. Loads of long term injuries. Can’t wait for it to all end.

The above puts it all into perspective. After a summer of drum beating and talk of challenging for promotion - with price hikes to cover it - we’re now at Christmas wishing for the season to end with hopefully enough points to stay up and an avoidance of any more humiliating trouncings. Throw in being knocked out of both meaningful cup competitions in the first round we play in to lower league opposition and it really shows what a monumental balls up its all been.

And all that after the owner told a potential new buyer with, by all accounts, the ambition and wealth to take us up to the next level to p*ss off at the last minute..

At the beginning of each season there are 46 games, you start each game with one point. By not managing to drop any of those points you’ve been given for nothing you accumulate 46 points. Even if you don’t convert any of those free points into three points you’ve still got what you started with at the beginning of the season.:unsure:

If we can keep Payne for the rest of the season I think we've got enough to stay up this season. But that depends on players confidence, and their confidence in the manager. They read social media and will know what the fans think. Port Vale had 27 points this time last season and were relegated. A bad run of form post Christmas can put you right where you don't want to be.

Many of Peps signings have been extremely poor. More of those filling the squad next season and I'd be waging us to go down. At what point do you decide he can take us forward?

Appletons work will soon be totally dismantled, and that's the real worry. I have very little confidence in Pep for next season.

The league has a few poor teams, a few good teams and many that are very average this year.

Similarly, we have had a couple of games where we've looked great and a few where we've looked awful - and many more where we have been bog standard.

We have lost Nelson and Hall and the squad has been far too weak. The players brought in have promised much and delivered little, as has Pep. The problem is, what happens next?

My gut feeling is that we will pick up enough points to be safe, although we could finish anywhere between 8th and 18th! Is that good enough? Absolutely not! But panic now and we could spend a lot (paying off Pep and funding a new manager) without any guarantees of getting anything better.

As sad as it sounds, we can already pretty much right this season off and look towards something much better next year. Hopefully with clearer leadership in the boardroom, dressing room and on the pitch - whoever that involves.

Looking at our remaining fixtures, the home games look a lot kinder than our away games. Imagine if we need something from our final game away at Blackburn!

Home

MK Dons
Blackpool
Bury
Bristol Rovers
Plymouth
Fleetwood
Peterborough
Scunthorpe
Oldham
Southend
Rochdale

Away

Bradford
Walsall
Wigan
Charlton Athletic
Rotherham
Northampton
Wimbledon
Portsmouth
Shrewsbury
Doncaster
Blackburn

So our last five results:

1-1
1-0
0-0
0-7
1-1

And from those remaining fixtures we need 6 wins to get to the magical 50 point mark.. easy. We’ll get that no problem.

Won’t we.....?

I will give the owner of this web page £500. he then can give it to the first person who matches it and is proved right on us being relegated. All to local Oxfordshire charities. Who is is game.

Based on nothing more than the comments on the forum, RADOX and Pep/player interviews, i don't think there is one single person who is either happy or confident in what is happening at the club on or off the pitch right now.

If there is someone out there who is, it would be great to hear your comments as to why you are confident/happy.

Personally, my mindset has shifted from being ambitious about a possible promotion chance to now being happy to stay up.

Based on nothing more than the comments on the forum, RADOX and Pep/player interviews, i don't think there is one single person who is either happy or confident in what is happening at the club on or off the pitch right now.

If there is someone out there who is, it would be great to hear your comments as to why you are confident/happy.

Personally, my mindset has shifted from being ambitious about a possible promotion chance to now being happy to stay up.

We've just been beat 7 nil at home, lost our captain for the season, consistently inconsistent, with little communication from above and, if rumours are to be believed, a second failed takeover in the last 6 months.

No one will be happy with that.

But that doesn't mean that we have to live in a state of permanent depression. We have been awful at times, but there are still teams worse than us, and I think we will have more than enough to be safe this season. Things have to change, but some of the kneejerking is a little premature in my view.

Back
Top Bottom