Reintroducing capital punishment to the UK

Should capital punishment be reintroduced to the UK?

• No, under any circumstances

• Yes, for any murder

• Yes, but only for the murder of specific members of society (eg children, police officers)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Doesn't make you a bad person, but it makes me - and possibly others - question whether your aim would be to punish or to have your revenge.

Would you be willing to physically hang someone, or would you leave that to someone else? Is state execution justified on the basis of saving the state money?

What exceptions would there be to executing serial killers or child rapists? What if they were mentally ill and clinically unable to tell the difference between right and wrong?

Macho blood lust is, thankfully, not what a civilised society is built on.

It certainly wouldn’t be about revenge, but imo it would give the victims families some sort of closure, I think in today’s justice system the families would be aware that the perpetrator would be released again into society, and could again commit serious crime ie Murder.

It’s a very grey area with the DP. So many would be against it, and then you have to define what sort of people deserve it. For me pre meditated planned murder should receive such a penalty. Along with Child crimes such a rape and murder.

Like you say how do you know if they are psychotic/deranged and don’t know the difference between right and wrong. Before trials they should be assessed by a top psychologist, and criminologist. To see if they are in fact clinically ill. People like Ian Huntley would be worthy of the DP, and others I could name.

As for being an executioner I’m not sure if I could do it, it certainly wouldn’t be any kind of macho blood lust though.

It’s an interesting question you’ve put to people here, and can make good debate and see others opinions.

I`ll stick with whole lifers are better off out the way.
I would surmise that the generic on here is nearer young (folk who can`t remember the DP) rather than older.
Sadly the poll split the "yes" vote but the re-run should be good. ? ?

I’m interested which way you think folk who remember the death penalty are more likely to vote.

I’m interested which way you think folk who remember the death penalty are more likely to vote.

Me too! I would suggest those with "less liberal" or more mature values would support it in exceptional circumstances.

Rehabilitation went well then??

Seems all he learnt was how to try & play the system.....

McCann opted out of court proceedings from the moment he was charged in May, refusing to appear before chief magistrate Emma Arbuthnot.

Instead, in an unprecedented move, she travelled to Belmarsh Prison and convened the hearing there.

Before and during the trial, hours were wasted waiting for updates about McCann, with barristers and the judge in almost daily discussions about whether he would turn up and why he had not.

Letters were sent to his cell and prison officers were called to give evidence by videolink to confirm he had received them.

At one stage, McCann requested a four-week adjournment because he hadn't had enough sleep.

Whole life sentence on the way, no doubt he did it, just give him a long drop on a short rope.

McCann was released incorrectly through incompetence, not because he was considered rehabilitated. To compare this, in any way, to the Khan situation is inaccurate.

I`m not comparing it. I`m saying he is the kind of offender that is better off just "tidied up".

There is no real justification for execution of murderers.
However, I find it difficult to disagree with its use for war crimes. After the Second World War I think it was justifiable to consider its use for clear cases of crimes of humanity and also hard to present a case as to why certain guilty offenders deserve to live, As an example, Rudolph Hoess the commandant do Auschwitz whom was responsible for the deaths of many many people.
That said, so many criminals escaped any proper punishment for their horrific role in war crimes, because they were either not caught or claimed to have been acting under orders.
In modern day Britain, hanging has been abolished for over fifty years and I can’t see a justification for its reintroduction.
If a murderer is cornered by the police he will strike again if he thinks he will end up dead.
Many murders are committed within the family.
In the case of Ruth Ellis, the last woman to be hanged, the fallout after was awful. I think three members of her family committed suicide.
A wrongful execution cannot be reversed either. Timothy Evans springs to mind as do so many others.
Its now in the history books and best left there

I see Japan have executed a Chinese man today. The condemned man knows nothing until just before it’s due to happen.
Any relatives concerned are advised afterwards. Three officers are appointed to push buttons, although only one has actually carried out the task.

Last edited:
Yes, but being hanged, drawn and quartered at Tyburn isn't on the list of choices.
Just noticed this and can’t let such an ignorant comment go unchecked. Tyburn (or Bayswater Road for Oxford Tube users) was for hanging common criminals. If you wanted hanging drawing and quartering you needed to go to Smithfield as we saw in Braveheart.

If you were special you could be chopped by sword or before that an axe

What about anonymity for the accused before the outcome of the trials of certain crimes.
How many men accused of Rape for example, have their name publicised after being charged and then through court proceedings
If they're found innocent they have to live with it all their lives, while the accuser retains their anonymity.

There is no real justification for execution of murderers.
However, I find it difficult to disagree with its use for war crimes. After the Second World War I think it was justifiable to consider its use for clear cases of crimes of humanity and also hard to present a case as to why certain guilty offenders deserve to live, As an example, Rudolph Hoess the commandant do Auschwitz whom was responsible for the deaths of many many people.
That said, so many criminals escaped any proper punishment for their horrific role in war crimes, because they were either not caught or claimed to have been acting under orders.
In modern day Britain, hanging has been abolished for over fifty years and I can’t see a justification for its reintroduction.
If a murderer is cornered by the police he will strike again if he thinks he will end up dead.
Many murders are committed within the family.
In the case of Ruth Ellis, the last woman to be hanged, the fallout after was awful. I think three members of her family committed suicide.
A wrongful execution cannot be reversed either. Timothy Evans springs to mind as do so many others.
Its now in the history books and best left there

Agree, I’d buy a ticket for the Bush, Cheney, Blair shows

Back
Top Bottom