Railway station

Because Oxford Science Park have got no songs!!

I have recently started working full time for a client there so I take offence to this. Oh, hang on, I don't. It's like a well-landscaped morgue.

On the subject of Oxford Science Park, why do they not open up their carparks for profit on match days? They employ someone to stop people going in. Why not employ him to take money!
I know this has been a bone of contention for a long.
I believe that has been discussed and is still in consideration, it does make absolute sense. I can't remember where/when I read it I'm afraid, think it was about four or five months ago.

I believe that has been discussed and is still in consideration, it does make absolute sense. I can't remember where/when I read it I'm afraid, think it was about four or five months ago.

I used to work there and was allowed to park there because our company rented offices on the park.

The reason they don't allow OUFC fans to park there is because before renting space companies are not happy about football fans parking in front of their offices.

One way forward may be to open it up to season ticket holders. I believe Oxvox are exploring this.

I used to work there and was allowed to park there because our company rented offices on the park.

The reason they don't allow OUFC fans to park there is because before renting space companies are not happy about football fans parking in front of their offices.

One way forward may be to open it up to season ticket holders. I believe Oxvox are exploring this.
Ah, I see. I think having fans park in the multi-storey would get round that visibility problem but that would need stewards (= costs). Also the multi-storey wouldn't make much of a dent in the parking - maybe 200 or so spaces off the top of my head?

im sure when this was discussed last season, the season before that, etc.. someone found there was a clause in the rental contracts that prevented the spaces being rented out/charged for or something along those lines - as im sure some company there would have sorted this by now if they could?

The trouble isn't with the amount of parking spaces but with the access to the stadium, at the moment the only way to get to the stadium is to go by car or pay for the bus. Adding more parking spaces would only increase the number of people who drive to games. Adding a railway station at the science park would more or less eliminate any traffic coming from bicester, kidlington and oxford city centre. Leaving the parking spaces for people who live in less accessible areas.

It wasn’t till I moved away from Oxfordshire that I realised how badly it is served by train services, some of the bigger towns don’t even have stations in them but have to make do with a little station in a nearby village. No wonder the roads are always clogged up. I now have two stations within a mile walk of me with a couple more on different lines with easy drive, if we had that sort of infrastructure in Oxfordshire and a station near the ground our attendances would rise with the prospect of a much improved day out around the game.

As we discussed some time (years?) ago when a Science Park Station was first mentioned, the amount of people a train service would be able to cope with in the couple of hours before and the hour after a game is pretty limited. Limited by the number of trains they have on the line, the size of the trains (which is limited by the length of the platforms they build) and the number they are prepared to run. While I am sure it would help people get there (which is a good thing of course!), I'm not sure it's much of a game changer.

If it does happen, lets hope they actually run sufficient trains on matchdays.
The lines between Oxford and Didcot apparently don't have spare capacity to put extra trains on, so would need massive investment in that. You are then talking about a single track line, and the stations likely won't be big. Would think a best there would be one train with a couple of carriages going back/forth, maybe a departure every 1/2 hour or so if lucky.
It could end up like the station at the Ricoh that couldn't be used for games (single track single carriage branching on to a main line with limited spare capacity - theirs was limited to 75 people on a once an hour train) until recently.

The lines between Oxford and Didcot apparently don't have spare capacity to put extra trains on, so would need massive investment in that. You are then talking about a single track line, and the stations likely won't be big. Would think a best there would be one train with a couple of carriages going back/forth, maybe a departure every 1/2 hour or so if lucky.
It could end up like the station at the Ricoh that couldn't be used for games (single track single carriage branching on to a main line with limited spare capacity - theirs was limited to 75 people on a once an hour train) until recently.

Yes, the Ricoh one sprung to mind.

It is brilliantly ironic that the ricoh station can't be used on matchdays

Exactly the sort of shining example that we will try to better

It is brilliantly ironic that the ricoh station can't be used on matchdays

Exactly the sort of shining example that we will try to better
after track capacity, one of the biggest reasons was that there were no extra trains available to run it - a result of the bizarre Tory privatisation that separated train ownership from the companies that run the services (Rolling Stock Operating Companies (I think there are 3) own the physical trains and lease them to the franchises that operate the services (running on infrastructure that is owned by someone else))

Back
Top Bottom