Fan's View Rage Online - Oxford-Sw*ndon 2011/12

willgreen

Hi all,
I've done a piece for Rage Online (originally published on www.d3d4football.com ) on our derby games in the 11/12 season. James Constable, Paolo di Canio, red cards and two cracking victories.
The piece has been written for a non-Yellow audience so I apologise for the lack of stars in the word Sw*ndon.
As ever, constructive criticism encouraged.
Cheers,
Will

Hi all,
I've done a piece for Rage Online (originally published on www.d3d4football.com ) on our derby games in the 11/12 season. James Constable, Paolo di Canio, red cards and two cracking victories.
The piece has been written for a non-Yellow audience so I apologise for the lack of stars in the word Sw*ndon.
As ever, constructive criticism encouraged.
Cheers,
Will

You get off to a bad start by saying "Swindon and Oxford." It is ALWAYS Oxford and Swindon, we come first and it should always be Oxford verses Swindon, even if the game is at the skip.

Other than that I think it was a bit too respectful toward them, even for a neutral audience! Sorry.

You get off to a bad start by saying "Swindon and Oxford." It is ALWAYS Oxford and Swindon, we come first and it should always be Oxford verses Swindon, even if the game is at the skip.

Other than that I think it was a bit too respectful toward them, even for a neutral audience! Sorry.
I originally pitched it to a (nameless) football website with a very established reader-base, so I was trying to keep it as neutral as possible. Then again, I did at least pick a year when we did the double..

Pedant’s point - are Swindon known as the ‘Railwaymen’? Only ever the Robins officially and a host of creative names that we have for them.

Beano actually scored 109 goals for us, two more than the record. It wasn't his fault that the game in which he scored a hat-trick was eventually stricken from the records--he scored the goals fairly and squarely.
I should have written "a game" because there were no doubt others in which he scored a hat-trick.

I also should have said that I enjoyed the Fan's View, Will....it brought back happy memories just in time for making some new ones on Saturday!

Not sure what relevance Chapman was to this story. Also debatable whether Wilder left for higher wages. In a recent interview he said that his departure included a clause never to speak about it, which he said “sums up the relationship at the time ”. Or something along those lines.

Not sure what relevance Chapman was to this story. Also debatable whether Wilder left for higher wages. In a recent interview he said that his departure included a clause never to speak about it, which he said “sums up the relationship at the time ”. Or something along those lines.
Again, originally pitched to a non-OUFC audience. Not many players miss out on derby day games due to being charged with a criminal offence.
The Wilder bit is admittedly speculative but I don't really know why he'd leave a promotion-chasing side for a team literally bottom of the table. Happy to be corrected

The smoke bomb game merits a mention perhaps in such a piece? And the spraying of the Kassam pitch (we've got more class than that - I'd like to believe). Ball boy, Aidan Hawtin, one of our own. Came on as sub at Tranmere but sadly had to retire because of knee problems at just 21.

There was the BSE game of course. Joey getting the third in front of the scummers

Back
Top Bottom