Chairman Rad ox 5 min ff with oufc owner

Also, reading between the lines, does that rule out Erick arriving on a white horse with saddle bags filled with gold next month? Not definitive either way, of course, but he could have also just said his budget is TBD.
As has been said many times before. It’s the Tiger and Robbo show for the foreseeable future, no matter what happens. They’re the bosom buddies that come as a package, while Tiger is here, so is Robinson. We’ve all got to like it or lump it unfortunately.

As has been said many times before. It’s the Tiger and Robbo show for the foreseeable future, no matter what happens. They’re the bosom buddies that come as a package, while Tiger is here, so is Robinson. We’ve all got to like it or lump it unfortunately.
Exactly. Safest job in football. Its bizarre how some people are still clinging to a Thohir shaped unicorn.... Have to cling onto something i guess!

Several replies allude including the contract renewals, to whatever happens , relegation or L1 survival , KR aint going anywhere in the forseeable future ....theyre planning pre season matches , already talks ongoining re next seasons budget,etc etc
I suppose we’ll have to wait and see if Tiger has any balls after the shambolic season we’ve had so far and possible disastrous season at the end of the season.

Certainly seems that way.

Another season with Robinson in charge would be tough to stomach. I’m hoping Tiger may be swayed when season tickets aren’t selling as well as he’d hoped; Robinson still in charge and a probable price increase for the ‘privilege’ of watching Karl Robinson’s Oxford would definitely put some people off. I’ve noticed some people around me attending less as the season progresses (regresses?).

Exactly. Safest job in football. Its bizarre how some people are still clinging to a Thohir shaped unicorn.... Have to cling onto something i guess!
I’ll admit to letting my anger boil over with my last comment. It might have been a silly thing to say and not very helpful but, bloody hell.. we’re sat in the relegation zone with 9 games to go after a disastrous season of balls ups and incompetence and Robinson is brazenly telling the supporters about the plans he’s got under way for next season! You could not make it up. The clubs gone to La la land.

My approach as far as the club is concerned is I'll believe it when I see it. Or don't see it as the case may be. Generally quite optimistic in nature, but repeated failings this season have definitely taken their toll.

As far as Erick is concerned, I was just pointing out that Robinson’s answer and choice of language may have ruled out his involvement, but like I said, I'll believe it when I see it. ?‍♂️

Last edited:
Robinson is a total prick. The 5 minute interview is a waste of time. Usual B*****s blaming everyone else. He wasted this year's budget on unfit players, not buying players who could be flexible in formation and isn't fit to manage this great club. COYY

I assume Robinson’s quotes are from the FF last night?

Interesting that Mackie says they are given no instructions for the final third. I wonder if it’s the same for the defensive third... ?

Interesting comments re 1st team squad budget. If I heard correctly then it will be same or less next year, as money being diverted into U23 / academy. No real issues with this as I think we should spend within our means and a strong academy is a solid building block for the long term wellbeing of the club.

Natural conclusion is that there won’t be significant extra investment from anyone else. If there was then surely from a playing perspective it would go towards 1st team squad. I don’t think KR was being really canny, and that there will be extra money but we’re keeping quiet so we aren’t exploited by agents / player demands.

Re the player contracts situation, clearly there is going to be another big churn of players between seasons. Whenever this happens you are relying on getting players in early (didn’t happen last year) and them gelling quickly. Not sure if it is the way of modern lower league football, but if clubs can find a way of reducing big turnover of players and just topping up preseason then that must be a better way of working.

My question wasn’t asked re KR learning from his mistakes, fair enough but I’d have liked Radio Ox to push more on the 1 striker issue. KR rightly said 1 striker, supported by 2 high attacking midfielders was a common approach but also mentioned injuries up top limiting his options. This is his squad, a squad he had the chance to assess and change. He must have known Mackie wouldn’t be available every week and if Obika was part of his plans then he must have been aware of his injury history. I know Obika’s injury was a new / unrelated issue but look at his appearance stats for the last few seasons - looked likely he wouldn’t be available for the full season. So Radio Ox should have asked why he chose to rely on a couple of strikers with a poor recent history of being available consistently? This reliance was made worse by signing Sam Smith, a 1st loan player which is always risky - combining his signing with reliance on 2 injury prone players was too risky and it was a gamble that hasn’t paid off.

So basically as a club it can drop through the leagues as at some point all the investment ploughed into the U23's / training ground etc will come to fruition!

Great! :rolleyes:

Two up front wouldn’t change anything, says Karl Robinson.

Let’s go back 12 months to when he left Charlton in ninth place, and a man who had never managed at any level before went 4-4-2 and got them into the playoffs after a storming last ten games or so. This was after KR spent the entire season before then playing the same sorry system with one up top, which their fans hated and could see wasn’t working.

I’m not saying going two up top is guaranteed to fix things here, let alone almost overnight, but I am saying he’s wrong to say it definitely wouldn’t. Presumably he’s so deluded that he thinks what happened last season to the team he left was pure fluke, rather than someone actually changing the things he’d been doing wrong to achieve results. Otherwise he’d have to admit to himself that maybe he isn’t a genius and that he got something fundamentally wrong, which he clearly doesn’t believe as he’s doing it all over again here. Difference being he hasn’t got the players he had there, so while they underperformed under him and that meant hovering around just above mid table, here it means being in the relegation zone practically all sodding season.

This is what baffles me - you really can take down everything he spouts with simple facts and a cursory engaging of the brain. There’s no spin or massaging of information necessary, just cold, hard reality. But then I suppose in the age of fake news, propaganda and political interference, it’s just not possible to actually inform people with facts. We want back slaps and belly laughs, with some shirt and snappy slogans in between.

PS. Here’s one for you Karl. Why did you think George Baldock was a midfielder for so long, before the player himself told you he was a right back and asked to be played there, and why did you then farm him out on loan to us twice because you couldn’t see how superb he was? If you’re such a brilliant coach, how did that happen? And are you now over compensating for that error by deciding that our best full backs are midfielders?

Don't want anyone missing the great leader, not listened myself yet
Just listened to that. It’s clear that Robinson has had guarantees that he will still be manager next season, regardless of what league we’re in. It seems apparent that Robinson’s role is a lot more closely linked to the upper hierarchy of the club than is normal in football and so he’s immune to all threats of being dismissed. Let’s just hope he manages some how to keep us in league 1 as I can’t imagine what the moral among the supporters will be if we’re having to listen to him telling us his plans for conquering league 2 next season. Selling season tickets will also be a challenge for the club.

He winds me up, no doubt.

But what can Tiger or Karl actually come out and say. They cannot come out and say 'I'm under pressure or one defeat from the sack' or infer he's on his way out at the end of the season - it has too many consequences attached to that statement.

Regarding next season, plans and budget, he has to answer as if he'll be in the job. The real problem will be how the fans, the dwindling crowds that are evident visually, will react. Most who want him gone will probably renew, that's what they do, some will stick to principles and not. That's the litmus test for the Board - season ticket sales are key. We have had over 12 months of this with Karl in charge, not just this season. I'd have PEP back over this 'manager'.

He should be feeling the pressure. His comment about a 'reduced budget' or likelihood of such, is a damming criticism from above. They probably have little confidence so won't fund him to the levels he was afforded to this season because he has acted recklessly in the transfer market. For example, does Kashi still stay at the hotel @Junior_1 ?

The club sensibly started to enforce the first team travel on matchdays to away games, following the ridiculous decision to stay overnight in Manchester the night BEFORE a checkatrade game. Is it any wonder we struggle to pay bills?

It appears from the outside, some at the club have little regard for spend whatsoever. That's my opinion and Niall rightly tells the fans this board have plunged millions into it this season. I believe that.

Anything other than a win against Bradford and he should be sacked immediately. Safest job in football? Maybe we should be putting more pressure on him then, Tiger needs to know how utterly disastrous his management has been and how unhappy we are. Currently I feel like there's a lot of fans just happy to roll over and admit he'll be here forever!
If he's here next season, I can only see the loyal hardcore buying season tickets, the rest will probably spend there pennies elsewhere and it's hard to blame them. Once you lose them, it's ruddy hard to get them back again, let alone buying season tickets again. This could be a damaging time for OUFC.

I think we have a hugely loyal and respectful fanbase. We are not the sort to turn up and chant for a manager to be sacked, not over the last decade or so at least. It's just not our style. That in turn, suggests the fanbase is content and happy. The club know that's not the case.

I think the summer will be a real hammer blow to Tiger or whoever is running the show. The pleas will come out once more.

I think we're one heavy result from the stadium turning on him.

Two up front wouldn’t change anything, says Karl Robinson.

Let’s go back 12 months to when he left Charlton in ninth place, and a man who had never managed at any level before went 4-4-2 and got them into the playoffs after a storming last ten games or so. This was after KR spent the entire season before then playing the same sorry system with one up top, which their fans hated and could see wasn’t working.

I’m not saying going two up top is guaranteed to fix things here, let alone almost overnight, but I am saying he’s wrong to say it definitely wouldn’t. Presumably he’s so deluded that he thinks what happened last season to the team he left was pure fluke, rather than someone actually changing the things he’d been doing wrong to achieve results. Otherwise he’d have to admit to himself that maybe he isn’t a genius and that he got something fundamentally wrong, which he clearly doesn’t believe as he’s doing it all over again here. Difference being he hasn’t got the players he had there, so while they underperformed under him and that meant hovering around just above mid table, here it means being in the relegation zone practically all sodding season.

This is what baffles me - you really can take down everything he spouts with simple facts and a cursory engaging of the brain. There’s no spin or massaging of information necessary, just cold, hard reality. But then I suppose in the age of fake news, propaganda and political interference, it’s just not possible to actually inform people with facts. We want back slaps and belly laughs, with some shirt and snappy slogans in between.

PS. Here’s one for you Karl. Why did you think George Baldock was a midfielder for so long, before the player himself told you he was a right back and asked to be played there, and why did you then farm him out on loan to us twice because you couldn’t see how superb he was? If you’re such a brilliant coach, how did that happen? And are you now over compensating for that error by deciding that our best full backs are midfielders?

Ok, we get it. You don't like Robinson!!! But let's look at some facts for a second.

Robinson had Charlton in and around the play off positions for most of last season. It was only in the weeks before he left that results slipped, and then recovered in the weeks after. That doesn't turn Lee Boywer into Bill Shankley or make Robinson shite. Charlton were a play off performing side with and without Robinson.

And then you're Baldock references. Everyone could see that George was very raw when he came to us. Great at getting down the flanks but defensively naive at times. He got better and continued to improve after he left us, but he was never a Phillip Lahm. MK Dons had decent cover at right back and George was no better at the time.

You talk about spin and fake news but are happy to spout the exact same thing. Running Robinson down is easy, and you'll get plenty of likes on here, but try to at least get the facts right if you are going to questions others for doing the same.

Ok, we get it. You don't like Robinson!!! But let's look at some facts for a second.

Robinson had Charlton in and around the play off positions for most of last season. It was only in the weeks before he left that results slipped, and then recovered in the weeks after. That doesn't turn Lee Boywer into Bill Shankley or make Robinson shite. Charlton were a play off performing side with and without Robinson.

And then you're Baldock references. Everyone could see that George was very raw when he came to us. Great at getting down the flanks but defensively naive at times. He got better and continued to improve after he left us, but he was never a Phillip Lahm. MK Dons had decent cover at right back and George was no better at the time.

You talk about spin and fake news but are happy to spout the exact same thing. Running Robinson down is easy, and you'll get plenty of likes on here, but try to at least get the facts right if you are going to questions others for doing the same.
So... he failed? He had a top 6 budget and left them way off the playoff places... Bowyer had the task of going on a seriously impressive run to even reach the playoffs, which he did. If you claim Bower is no Bill Shankley, then surely that proves that another not so extraordinary manager can get more out of Robbos players than he can.

Back
Top Bottom