• ****Join the YF Fantasy EFL League: HERE. ****

European Championships Quarter-Final: England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 vs Switzerland 🇨🇭

Because I thought that Switzerland looked less good yesterday because we stopped them successfully. Every time you do that, you make the opposition look poor (eg Bolton in the play off final). Because of England’s style, the only way we win is if we make the opposition look like they’re having an off day.

There’s truth in that but while Switzerland and the Netherlands are good sides - I’m still pretty sure that the three best sides in the competition are Spain, Germany and France (yes, they can’t score but their defense is imposingly good. The Dutch have created chances for fun against everyone else - they created one in 90 minutes against the French). And Portugal might actually have been next best (and top 3 if they’d not been in thrall to Ronaldo)

So Southgate is once again the beneficiary of an extraordinarily friendly draw; but unless we win the Final, we will have again gone through a tournament without beating a truly top side.

Tbf to Saka, if your team's goal poacher is nowhere near the 6 yard box and always either on the edge of the box or by the penalty spot then that isn't surprising.
That's fair enough. Although one of the chances yesterday Kane was clearly in space waiting to be found but Saka can't control the passes as well with his right foot so just has to put them into decent areas without looking. The penalty spot is a great area to find space in as a striker sometimes, by the way, particularly when defenders are crowding the six yard box. Also Bellingham not getting into the box as much as he does for Madrid.

Because I thought that Switzerland looked less good yesterday because we stopped them successfully. Every time you do that, you make the opposition look poor (eg Bolton in the play off final). Because of England’s style, the only way we win is if we make the opposition look like they’re having an off day.
I guess it depends if people are saying England only won because the side they were facing happened to have an off day, or because the side they were facing were a limited side without many world-class players. My understanding of the criticism of England’s Euros so far is more the latter, given who we’ve beaten/drawn against

There’s truth in that but while Switzerland and the Netherlands are good sides - I’m still pretty sure that the three best sides in the competition are Spain, Germany and France (yes, they can’t score but their defense is imposingly good. The Dutch have created chances for fun against everyone else - they created one in 90 minutes against the French). And Portugal might actually have been next best (and top 3 if they’d not been in thrall to Ronaldo)

So Southgate is once again the beneficiary of an extraordinarily friendly draw; but unless we win the Final, we will have again gone through a tournament without beating a truly top side.

The point of playing football is to score goals, the French have been abysmal at that. You can’t have a go at Southgate while praising the most boring international football team to ever make a semi final, the only team to ever make a semi final without scoring a goal themselves from open play. I would throw the fuckers out for that myself, Deschamps makes Southgate look like Kevin Keegan managing Newcastle he is so negative.

That's fair enough. Although one of the chances yesterday Kane was clearly in space waiting to be found but Saka can't control the passes as well with his right foot so just has to put them into decent areas without looking. The penalty spot is a great area to find space in as a striker sometimes, by the way, particularly when defenders are crowding the six yard box. Also Bellingham not getting into the box as much as he does for Madrid.

Absolutely Saka can do better and I agree that the area around the penalty spot/edge of the box is a good area for space.

But for me, it shouldn't be Kane finding that space but somebody else most of the time. A lot of the time Saka had nobody going into the 6 yard box which makes it easier to defend.

Kane just looks immobile at the moment. He isn't the most agile or the fastest but he doesn't even look close to that.

The point of playing football is to score goals, the French have been abysmal at that. You can’t have a go at Southgate while praising the most boring international football team to ever make a semi final, the only team to ever make a semi final without scoring a goal themselves from open play. I would throw the fuckers out for that myself, Deschamps makes Southgate look like Kevin Keegan managing Newcastle he is so negative.

1) I wasn’t praising France’s style of play, just saying that they are very good at winning football matches - better than anyone England are going to have to beat to get to the final

2) They have actually been far less boring than England. France have had 89 goal attempts across their five games (only Spain and Germany have had more). Their forwards have just had cow’s a**e/banjo issues. England have only had 57. France’s xG over the course of the tournament is 7.8; England’s is 4.7

3) Anyone who can’t appreciate watching William Saliba defend at the moment is a footballing philistine

I must admit, it's club before country for me. Us getting promoted is by far more important to me than whether England win the Euros (it's not even as important an the World Cup). That being the case, while I would rather England win than lose, I really cannot believe that with the players we have available England cannot win in a style that is both more convincing and (as a by product) more entertaining. The grand plan cannot be to have no on target shots in 45 minutes of football, to rely on last 10 minutes or even last minute equalisers and to hope you are better at pens than the other team!

1) I wasn’t praising France’s style of play, just saying that they are very good at winning football matches - better than anyone England are going to have to beat to get to the final

2) They have actually been far less boring than England. France have had 89 goal attempts across their five games (only Spain and Germany have had more). Their forwards have just had cow’s a**e/banjo issues. England have only had 57. France’s xG over the course of the tournament is 7.8; England’s is 4.7

3) Anyone who can’t appreciate watching William Saliba defend at the moment is a footballing philistine
They beat Austria 1-0 (due to an own goal) and beat Belgium 1-0 due to yet another OG in the 85th minute.
They drew the other 3 games.

You are correct to mention Saliba but the same could be said at watching Saka get on the ball and attack his full back.

Watching England in this tournament hasn't been edge of the seat stuff but I am also not sure it is as bad as some are making it out to be.

Trippier at left wing back and Saka at right wing back?
I said exactly the same yesterday, but Shaw cannot be seriously considered to start, and although it would make total sense to play Saka as left wing back, as he started his career there, so knows the role and is left footed, whilst then playing Trippier at RWB, I just can’t see Southgate doing that, so I’ve gone for what I think the team should be based on some of the bizarre decisions we know he’s going to make

I must admit I spent almost the entire match yelling forwards at the screen as England worked out the many variations of contriving to get the ball back to Pickford in as many ways as possible. Quite why nobody recieving the ball in midfield is prepared to turn and look up the field is baffling. Its hard to score when your in your own half. We have a good defence we must start taking risks up the field to open up defences we have an abundance of players who have the talent to do that. Come on Gareth handbrake off!!

I’m not sure how you have stuck with watching OUFC for so long in that case 😅
Easy. I love OUFC. I couldn’t give a s**t about the national team.

OUFC lose, and it ruins my weekend,
England lose, I just laugh and change the channel.

Easy. I love OUFC. I couldn’t give a s**t about the national team.

OUFC lose, and it ruins my weekend,
England lose, I just laugh and change the channel.
How come you get so annoyed then about Southgate and how poorly this England team have played in this tournament?

I tend to not bother watching any England games unless we are in a tournament as they usually bore me senseless. It has been dull watching us so far but it is still exciting the further we go and I’d be buzzing if we went on to win the Euros. If not though, I probably won’t be wasting any energy by getting angry about it.

Like you I am club over country.

How come you get so annoyed then about Southgate and how poorly this England team have played in this tournament?

I tend to not bother watching any England games unless we are in a tournament as they usually bore me senseless. It has been dull watching us so far but it is still exciting the further we go and I’d be buzzing if we went on to win the Euros. If not though, I probably won’t be wasting any energy by getting angry about it.

I'm not annoyed in the slightest, just acknowledging how bad England are under Southgate, as is pretty much every other English football fan.

I also only watch tournament games, and always hope we do well, but I genuinely couldn't care less if we don't.

But that's the thing - because we're all club over country, it is more important that international football is entertaining and interesting, because we don't have quite the same emotional attachment. It doesn't have to bore you senseless; it doesn't have to be dull watching.
We've got the leading scorer in the Bundesliga, the La Liga player of the season who was the 3rd top scorer in the league from midfield, 22 goal Cole Palmer, 19 goal Phil Foden and 16 goal Bukayo Saka. We could play super-entertaining, edge-of-your-seats, total football with this squad. But we don't, because Southgate.

International football doesn't have to be tedious - there's been half a dozen truly cracking matches this tournament alone (Croatia-Albania, Netherlands-Austria, Turkey-Austria, most of the games in Group F). Germany were mostly fun to watch, the Dutch have been mostly fun to watch, Spain have been mostly fun to watch, England have been an absolute chore to sit through.

So he has to win the tournament. If he does - fine, means to an end, he gets to be a hero.
But if we lose.....to anyone, anyhow.....then he's just the prat that ruined Euro 2024 for everyone by wasting potentially the most exciting attacking team we've had in decades.

if Southgate goes at the end of these Euros, he'll have had 102 games in charge , whether his last is a final or 3rd place play off

But that's the thing - because we're all club over country, it is more important that international football is entertaining and interesting, because we don't have quite the same emotional attachment. It doesn't have to bore you senseless; it doesn't have to be dull watching.
We've got the leading scorer in the Bundesliga, the La Liga player of the season who was the 3rd top scorer in the league from midfield, 22 goal Cole Palmer, 19 goal Phil Foden and 16 goal Bukayo Saka. We could play super-entertaining, edge-of-your-seats, total football with this squad. But we don't, because Southgate.

International football doesn't have to be tedious - there's been half a dozen truly cracking matches this tournament alone (Croatia-Albania, Netherlands-Austria, Turkey-Austria, most of the games in Group F). Germany were mostly fun to watch, the Dutch have been mostly fun to watch, Spain have been mostly fun to watch, England have been an absolute chore to sit through.

So he has to win the tournament. If he does - fine, means to an end, he gets to be a hero.
But if we lose.....to anyone, anyhow.....then he's just the prat that ruined Euro 2024 for everyone by wasting potentially the most exciting attacking team we've had in decades.
I agree that Southgate hasn’t made the most out of the players he has at his disposal and I think he will be gone regardless whether we win the euros or not as it is clear we need a fresh approach.
If anything I think it was probably one tournament too far for him.

I just can’t get overly angry or upset if we end up not winning it as for years, even before Southgate, England just aren’t that good to watch and I’m not sure any manager in recent times has had the balls to really take the handbrake off and let the players have the freedom.

Back
Top Bottom