• ****Join the YF Fantasy EFL League: HERE. ****

European Championships Quarter-Final: England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 vs Switzerland 🇨🇭

You'd struggle though-The football's awful, negative and slow, poor tactics, and some of his decision making is just bizarre.

And before you say it, It might be coming home, but only because the overall standard is so bad, and yet again for Southgate's England, we've had a P**s easy group, and then the draw has completely opened up, and we've had our hand held all the way to the latter stages.

Netherlands will be the first decent side we've faced all tournament, and usually under Southgate, that means defeat.

Hopefully this time will be different...
Another semi final ! What a record. History won’t remember that the games were a bit boring.

You'd struggle though-The football's awful, negative and slow, poor tactics, and some of his decision making is just bizarre.

And before you say it, It might be coming home, but only because the overall standard is so bad, and yet again for Southgate's England, we've had a P**s easy group, and then the draw has completely opened up, and we've had our hand held all the way to the latter stages.

Netherlands will be the first decent side we've faced all tournament, and usually under Southgate, that means defeat.

Hopefully this time will be different...
On the plus side Keir Starmer had just appointed Southgate Minister for the irradication of insomnia. Genius!

Last edited:
I just want us to win something, I can handle being bored for two more games if we do. Not like we are even the worst team at it, France under Deschamps in this tournament have made us look like 1970 Brazil, 2 penalties and 2 own goals are the only goals in there 5 games from them and the opposition, that is something else.
I agree, I would like to see us win something for a change, after so many years of disappointment and near misses, but it would be so much nicer and more enjoyable to see us do it in style.

Like I say, playing the way we do under Southgate will make any success feel a little anti climactic.

I wanna see our lions roar their way to glory, not just meow their way to success.

I agree, I would like to see us win something for a change, after so many years of disappointment and near misses, but it would be so much nicer and more enjoyable to see us do it in style.

Like I say, playing the way we do under Southgate will make any success feel a little anti climactic.

I wanna see our lions roar their way to glory, not just meow their way to success.
You weren’t pleased when we scrapped our way to success at Peterborough despite winning few friends?

You weren’t pleased when we scrapped our way to success at Peterborough despite winning few friends?
But that was a one off game . If we played like that every week it would be dreadful.
If we played two or three good, attacking games then yes always get the odd game to scrape through.
We are dull , beating Slovakia and Switzerland to reach the Semi finals is what I'd expect but we struggled to .
Now I'm hoping for two brilliant performances so we can say we won it with a bit of style and panache and forget the one win in 90 minutes out of five matches.

Totally different scenario.

Yes in a knockout scenario you do what you have to to win, I get that, but a season is long, with many highs and lows, peaks and troughs, and scraping results, so you can be forgiven for just scraping through the playoffs semi final 2nd leg, having done so well in previous games to even get there.

And then we completely out played Bolton in the final, so it was overall a very positive and enjoyable experience to come through the playoffs like that.

At international tournaments you only play a very limited amount of games, and although you wouldn’t expect the them to play well in every game, you certainly wouldn’t expect them to play so badly in EVERY GAME!

So regardless of the fact we’re in another Semi final, it’s not been enjoyable to watch, at any point.

But there was slight improvement yesterday, so let’s hope we’re gonna hit form at just the right time, and we smash the last two games, and roar over the finish line…I’d enjoy it then!

I’m not sure where this idea that Switzerland are a great side has come from. Yes they drew with Germany, but they also drew with Scotland! They’re well organised and workmanlike, with some decent players, but they’re hardly 1998 Argentina or 2002 Brazil.

If we beat the Netherlands in the Semi Final then I don’t think anyone could argue that’s a good result for England - the first properly good team we’ve faced this tournament, with some actual world class players. All of the Southgate defenders on here can happily say we’ve done well when we’ve beaten them…

So far we’ve:

Beaten Serbia
Drawn with Denmark
Drawn with Slovenia
Beaten Slovakia
Drawn with Switzerland

Nothing awful, no losses, but nothing to really be proud of in terms of beating a France, Spain, Germany, Holland etc.

Win on Wednesday and that’s a big side ticked off, and another final reached. Almost no matter what happens then, it’s been a fairly successful tournament for England - as was Euro 2020 (personally I think both World Cups were only average)

The notion that international tournaments can only be won playing dull football is nonsense.

Argentina scored 15 goals in their seven games in 2022 - the only game they didn’t score at least twice in was their hilarious opening defeat to Saudi Arabia - and France scored 14 to win four years earlier. There’s a decent chance that Euro 2024 England & France could play the final without scoring that many goals between them.

Nah, England are boring because Southgate chooses to play boring football. And as I’ve said from the start, that’s fine if, and only if, we win the thing. Then it’s a means to an end and he gets to be a hero. Anything short of that - even another penalty shootout Final loss, and he should be run out of town for being so tedious.

Play this against the Netherlands:

View attachment 21165
Handbrake off, and f*****g go for it!

He will never play without two holding midfielders, just isn’t going to happen. I think it’s over the top but then I (like most other people) am not as cautious as Southgate.

I don’t actually want him to be manager after this tournament, his time has come, but I would like him to go out on a high as that means we win something, been long enough.

I do think he will go, but he is going to do it his way till he does, so don’t expect any big changes.

It’s the lack of shots, the side to side and back passes. Statuesque players.
He can’t see it though.
We have to just live with it.
Is it even possible that we might win the bloody thing playing so badly?
Surely not?
Anti-football champions?

It’s the lack of shots, the side to side and back passes. Statuesque players.
He can’t see it though.
We have to just live with it.
Is it even possible that we might win the bloody thing playing so badly?
Surely not?
Anti-football champions?

Given the four teams in the semis it’s a 50% chance it will be won by a dull team this year.

Southgate said that he gets the defenders to pass it back and forth half the match to limit the others teams chances. He said that previous England teams always started well but then lost due to lack of possession. If that's the case then do some attacking before the possession based numbness comes into play.

What makes you say that? It can’t be that they’ve said that about the other sides we’ve faced, because the Netherlands are clearly better
Because I thought that Switzerland looked less good yesterday because we stopped them successfully. Every time you do that, you make the opposition look poor (eg Bolton in the play off final). Because of England’s style, the only way we win is if we make the opposition look like they’re having an off day.

Trippier at left wing back and Saka at right wing back?
Agree. Saka played well yesterday but still lacked being able to find people with balls into the box. Trippier (not his fault) is to predictable on the left, cutting in and offering no width. I think Saka would have still played well on the left and Trippier has a number of assists from the right for Newcastle last season. A load more than TAA. It's a no brainer for me for them to swap, think we would have created much more for Kane, Bellingham etc if they had done it yesterday. As well as we played in the first half, we still didn't create much.

Agree. Saka played well yesterday but still lacked being able to find people with balls into the box. Trippier (not his fault) is to predictable on the left, cutting in and offering no width. I think Saka would have still played well on the left and Trippier has a number of assists from the right for Newcastle last season. A load more than TAA. It's a no brainer for me for them to swap, think we would have created much more for Kane, Bellingham etc if they had done it yesterday. As well as we played in the first half, we still didn't create much.

Tbf to Saka, if your team's goal poacher is nowhere near the 6 yard box and always either on the edge of the box or by the penalty spot then that isn't surprising.

Back
Top Bottom