- do a bit of food
- are near the ground

Do any Forumites live in Newcastle who could recommend a pub or two that:

- are away fan friendly
- are child friendly
- have a good selection of beers
- do a bit of food
- are near the ground
Check the football ground guide was a list of puds on there if my memory is right not many are child friendly but a lot are away fan friendly

- are away fan friendly
- are child friendly
- do a bit of food
- are near the ground

three links that may be helpful?

- are away fan friendly
- are child friendly
- do a bit of food
- are near the ground

The Newcastle fan on another thread mentioned some pubs but don't know if they meet all of your criteria.

Edit: From the Fish on t'other thread:

"Geordie in peace here.

Happy to give Bed, Beer and Bhuna advice. Saw someone say that parking is a nightmare. If you're staying over you'll be able to park at the hotel, no bother. If you're just popping up for the match park at the MetroCentre. Free parking, just off the A1, regular cheap trains to the city centre. Plus it's a massive shopping centre so there's plenty of places to grab some food before and/or after the match.

There aren't any "away" pubs because as long as you don't act up you'll be more than welcome in any. Away fans travelling in numbers tend to go to the Mile Caste or the Union Rooms which are staggering distance from the Central Station. Both big pubs with reasonable beer. For more discerning palate try the Forth, the Town Wall and the like.

Plenty of great food in Newcastle now, everything from House of Tides down to Fat Hippo Underground.

Anyone who is aiming to come up for the weekend but hasn't sorted hotels yet, try the coast and just get the Metro in. Cheap, doesn't take long, simple lay out as well.

Would expect about 30k in the ground, unless we make the kind of signing that reinvigorates the crowd. Bruce will likely play a fairly strong side, but there'll still be a few changes from our first team, I reckon.

Hope those who're coming up have a good time"

In hindsight not so sure it is that helpful!

Last edited:
Oxford fan from Newcastle - away fans should be fine in pretty much any pub in the city centre, especially since it's a cup game. The only one that might be less than 100% safe (but still 90%) would be the Strawberry right outside the ground as that's where the most vocal fans gather (most likely thing to happen is that you'll get called soft for being southern). All the pubs mentioned by the Newcastle fan are good as well; if you're looking for a Spoons the Quayside is your best option.
Food wise, Panis is a pretty brilliant and cheap Italian place, Fat Hippo Underground is a tasty but slightly more expensive American-style burger place. There's also the standard choice of restaurant chains you'd expect for a big city.
Newcastle on the whole is a really friendly place and there's hardly ever trouble except against the Mackems so the world's your oyster really.

Talking of away fan friendly places, Rotherham was a bit disappointing vis venues. About a mile walk to the one food pub accepting away fans and bouncers on all the others. The one pub was rammed..so no chance of nosh. We finally ended up eating in an “ethnic” fast food place with a few tables where we were obviously the visitors. Friendly staff, Good food, excellent value...Dale can keep their pubs to themselves....

Always liked the Tyne bar although it is a of a hike along the Quayside. I’m not travelling for this one, but hope all fans travelling enjoy their day!

Toon fan in peace. A recent survey found that there are 108 pubs within 1/2 mile of St James' Park, that goes up to 190+ within a mile. I dont think you'll have any bother getting a pint or two before the game. For pubs that are child friendly, most are, but take into account that it's a match day. If I was with children I'd stay away from the Bigg Market, it's a bit lively but perhaps for kids a bit too much.

For proper ale, the Bodega and Tilly's on Westgate Rd, just up from the station are good, The Crown Posada on Dean Street is a great little boozer but it's a bit of a walk back up a steepish hill afterwards. I guess if I was coming to Newastle with a couple of kids and wanted somewhere reasonable for a bit of food I would probably go to the Bridge Hotel, next to the High Level Bridge, good beer, I know they do food but not sure what it's like, bigish pub, shouldn't be too crowded, although it's a bit of a diversion from the Station, if your coming by train, but only about 1/4 of a mile.

Another idea if your in the Toon early enough is to go to Stowell Street. It's just next to the ground and is China town, loads of chinese restaurants doin glunch specials, really good food, but beer is a bit hitty missy.

Hope all the OUFC fans enjoy the trip up to Newcastle, but maybe not enjoy the match that follows.

Enjoyed the 2 pubs we went in pre match. 1st one was near car park, 2nd one was the Strawberry right outside the ground. Both very busy but had plenty of friendly staff working so service was quick. No plastic glasses. Locals and Oxford fans mixed in both places without a hint of any trouble. I found it to be a great city for football with friendly locals.

Back
Top Bottom