Local News Pub or an eatery with a Licensed bar?

Sarge

God like member
Is it just me? ..... I do get a tad miffed, vexed and peeved when what is blatantly a licensed restaurant is referred to as a pub. 'Gastropubs', basically upmarket, invariably overpriced 'cafes' with a bar that offers a few alcoholic beverages seem to be described as pubs usually by lazy local journos. To me a pub... public house... should have their emphasis on the variety of beverages on offer, as opposed to concentrating on attaining various awards from poncey foodie organisations. Alehouses and micro breweries ( depending on location in England) do qualify as being referred to as a pub. Hostelries that offer a range of different beverages likewise, but an establishment that has emphasis on a varied cuisine and concentrating on the gastronomic experience, invariably relegating wet bar variety to the bare minimum, to me are not pubs, they, ( broadly similar to the majority of Indian restaurants) they are upmarket cafe's that offer a limited choice of alcoholic drinks to accompany food!

Granted to survive public houses (especially since the smoking ban was imposed, followed by countless pubs closing), have had to in many cases take appropriate action. I don't have any issues with what was once a pub transforming into a restaurant with a bar. What is my issue is eateries, where food (not drink ) is what is promoted heavily by the licensee, shouldn't appear in PUB guides, or for that matter be referred to as a pub.

Pus are for drinking, adult conversation and being able to have a laugh with your mates, not much of which is welcomed in posho eateries! don't disturb or upset diners!.... licenced cafes claiming to be pubs, are rarely accommodating to those who prefer the old-fashioned public house experience, I do wish that eateries with a licensed bar would stop from calling themselves pubs! And for that matter, local newspaper reporters get educated enough to work out the difference between a Public House and a licenced Resturant

After 100 years an old Oxford pub is set to reopen says today's Oxford Mail, reporting that was once the Plough on Cornmarket in town, where Austin Reed was for many years, yet the incoming leaseholder and licensee in the feature talks about it being a coffee house ( like Oxford needs another !), and also talking about the gastronomic delights that will be offered. Doesn't say much about the drink though! ... I MO its another restaurant with a licence to sell alcohol set to open, NOT a pub!

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/1...et-pub-returning-after-100-years/?ref=mr&lp=1

Great rant, sarge. Couldn't agree more.
And talking of which, being an exile, I've not been out drinking in town for years. I was shocked to find out the other day that the Turf Tavern is now a bloody Greene King.

If you have to reserve a table, it's a restaurant. If you can walk in, take a table of your choice then walk to a bar to order, it's a pub.

If you have to reserve a table, it's a restaurant. If you can walk in, take a table of your choice then walk to a bar to order, it's a pub.

Sorry mate but that’s not as I see it. A pub is where you go to meet your mates for a few beers, play some pool or darts and have a laugh looking at the scumdon result on the big screen if it’s got one.

The Wavendon's good. Used to go in there quite regularly when I worked in MK.

Sorry mate but that’s not as I see it. A pub is where you go to meet your mates for a few beers, play some pool or darts and have a laugh looking at the scumdon result on the big screen if it’s got one.
As good a definition as any, and one that would separate a pub from a bar, which seems to be the trend these days.

I love proper working class pubs, drives me nuts these days when try and buy a pint and people are ordering coffee and latte drinks !

Said many times in my personal view Oxford is one of the worse places in the UK for a night out.

When I still lived in Greater Leys our regular drinking hole was the "Bat & Ball" in Cuddesdon. The owner always made sure that the local drinkers had space at the bar, tables kept clear of any cutlery etc and even gave "Locals discount" to those he recognised. Last place I kept a tankard. Food served was very good and often we would be treated, at the bar, to tastings of chef's latest creation.
Not quite the same now but, I believe it's still going strong.

I love proper working class pubs, drives me nuts these days when try and buy a pint and people are ordering coffee and latte drinks !

Said many times in my personal view Oxford is one of the worse places in the UK for a night out.
Oxford has ALWAYS been sh!t for a night out in my 30+ years of trying. It just doesn't work, partly because of the Town/Gown/Tourist dynamic.

That is unless you are part of a special club that lets you f*ck a dead pigs head of course.

Mind you, not quite as bad as Plymouth with the Local/Student/Matlow mix :oops:

Can't beat a train in, few drinks at the four candles, then down the Cowley road for a gig, and walk back stopping off at various bars on the way. But I wouldn't head into Oxford for an evening if it wasn't tied to a gig.

Bloody hell.
That is surprising and have been there quite a few times myself.
They have just built quite a few houses on the opposite side of the road... surely that's enough.

This is Milton Keynes! Gone are the days of responsible planning as existed under the MK Development Corporation. Now it's an apparent free for all, with housing going up without adequate social infrastructure around it.

The village of Wavendon will soon be surrounded by new estates. Wavendon Golf Course has already been sold and is being covered in housing. The Wavendon Arms would have been an oasis amidst it all, but the ££££ on offer must have proved more tempting to the owners than future trade.
Wavedon arms wasn't last owned by a bowtie sporting businessman who likes holidaying in new york but isnt all that at communicating was it?:cautious::whistle::whistle:

Back
Top Bottom