Prize money

Gary Baldi

I see Hope Solo is complaining about the prize money available in this tournament: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48535933

Is it "chauvinism" or a commercial reflection on the money the women's game raises in sponsorship, etc vs the men's game?
Are FIFA, a commercial enterprise, obliged to pay everyone the same, regardless of the revenue they bring?
Is there a right for the women's prize money to earn as much as the men's?

Tricky subject...

maybe if the women swapped shirts like the men do at the end of a game, theyd have more of a case ? :sneaky:;) :ROFLMAO:

seriously, if women's football attracted similar sized crowds of paying punters there would be more of a case for a degree of parity in prize money for women's & men's International competitions?

in tennis, at Wimbledon, Mens matches are best of 5, whereas women's matches are best of 3 ... so the amount of potential time spent on court for women tennis matches compared to men's tennis matches are different, as should be prize money to reflect that?

as an aside England women's cricket team are playing West Indies today ... clashing with (men's) World cup cricket tournament games ... odd decision imo

I took my daughter to see England play New Zealand at the Amex. It was virtually impossible to buy a programme which when you did you found was designed to cover several matches in very little detail as for kit or other goodies - nothing which reflects the FAs real attitude towards the woman’s game.

At least the FA supported the woman’s prep unlike the French who kicked their team out of the national training centre for the men’s friendly prep...

I see Hope Solo is complaining about the prize money available in this tournament: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48535933

Is it "chauvinism" or a commercial reflection on the money the women's game raises in sponsorship, etc vs the men's game?
Are FIFA, a commercial enterprise, obliged to pay everyone the same, regardless of the revenue they bring?
Is there a right for the women's prize money to earn as much as the men's?

Tricky subject...

So strictly speaking, I believe FIFA is recognized as an international NGO - and therefore a non-profit organization. So, in theory at least, mission above money-making.

If you view FIFA's mission as the global promotion of football, then I think you can make a pretty solid argument that they should not be favouring one half of the world's population over the other when it comes to remuneration. Even if it's the men that are bringing in the bulk of the sponsorship $s to the organization.

Given that for the other 47 months of every four years, the men are going to be earning several orders of magnitude more than the women because their clubs bring in several orders of magnitude higher revenues.....it doesn't seem unreasonable to me that men and women would be rewarded the same for doing the same job at a world cup that's organized by an umbrella organization that's supposed to represent them both.

So strictly speaking, I believe FIFA is recognized as an international NGO - and therefore a non-profit organization. So, in theory at least, mission above money-making.

If you view FIFA's mission as the global promotion of football, then I think you can make a pretty solid argument that they should not be favouring one half of the world's population over the other when it comes to remuneration. Even if it's the men that are bringing in the bulk of the sponsorship $s to the organization.

Given that for the other 47 months of every four years, the men are going to be earning several orders of magnitude more than the women because their clubs bring in several orders of magnitude higher revenues.....it doesn't seem unreasonable to me that men and women would be rewarded the same for doing the same job at a world cup that's organized by an umbrella organization that's supposed to represent them both.
FIFA an NGO.... With that amount of cash in the bank, they are rather frugal one who looks to engorge itself over whatever gender plays in a tournament.

So the question then begets. Do FIFA then say, ok, we'll pay footballers, men, women, able bodied, etc a flat fee for appearing in any tournament. We'll then split the sponsorship, tv rights for the tournament through the various organisations based on performance, etc for the people that participate as a way to reward the participants.

I completely understand the women wanting to take a piece of the pie because it will drastically improve their lives and their game. But equally, is the mens game responsible for making the women richer from their hard work? It's an interesting point that I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to. It's not like every male player is very rich - players like Whyte or Sykes probably earn less than some women's footballers do.

Back
Top Bottom