Premiership Managers complaining

Grumpy Git

I see on Sky Premiership Managers are upset abou5 FA Cup replays. Steve Bruce and others are moaning about having to play the replay during the Premiership break, they have too many games.
But they’ve only have 38 league games, we have 44 (normally 46). we have extra FA cup games. We have extra Tinpot Trophy games. Of course we don’t fly out to the Far East for demo games.
Snowflakes.

Only fair to point out that KR was pretty anti-replay with his post match comments, BBC in particular highlighted a lower league manager arguing to get rid of them (first time I've seen it). Personally, I'd like to keep them but perhaps add the option of finishing on the day if both teams agree.

Said it numerous times, German system is the way to go...
In the draw, pot with lower league/non-league teams (in our case, probably L1 and below). In the other pot, Championship and Premier League.
All lower league games drawn first and thus guaranteed a home game against a "big" club.
No replays, done on the day...no fixture congestion. Still upsets, still lower league teams getting to the later rounds, life-changing sums of money all but guaranteed (also thanks to TV).

Said it numerous times, German system is the way to go...
In the draw, pot with lower league/non-league teams (in our case, probably L1 and below). In the other pot, Championship and Premier League.
All lower league games drawn first and thus guaranteed a home game against a "big" club.
No replays, done on the day...no fixture congestion. Still upsets, still lower league teams getting to the later rounds, life-changing sums of money all but guaranteed (also thanks to TV).
..and miss out on trips to the likes of St James' Park. No thanks!

..and miss out on trips to the likes of St James' Park. No thanks!

Sorry, forgot to add...after a certain amount of rounds all teams eventually go into the same pot, so chances of such a trip still possible.

i've said it before make the Champions League for League winners and make it a straight knockout like it use to be, The Europa for the cup winners knockout only..The current setup is the reason there are too many games not our domestic cup competitions.
Since the Premiershi*e was introduced it has now become a no need to win anything mentality as nicking 4th spot is the be all and end all for the top clubs along with the cash.and just about survival and the cash cow for the others. Lower down scrap the mickey mouse

I don't see any complaints with the many cash cow matches in the sun and to think that Eufa are to introduce even more clubs into their various competitions.

Could also introduce 10 team leagues like Prem 1 Prem 2 Champ 1 Champ 2 League 1 Division 1 League 2 Division 2

there you go solved it easily and don't need millions in salary :)

The game is not about the Elite or we may as well just give up the game

Remarkable achievement from the club, to have two very good cup runs, and be in contention for promotion or playoffs, at this stage of the season. If offered that at the beginning of the season I’d of snapped your hands off!.

I'd far rather watch my team replay a drawn proper cup match ( Fa Cup, League cup) than take part in the absolutely farcical EFL -< insert current sponsor here> - trophy in its current format .

It was when introduced the Football league trophy , a competition for lower (football) league clubs , L1 & L2 ( old 3rd and 4th division) - Premier clubs,who when they split away from the fFootball league, chasing a kingsize slice of sky tvs money each, removed themselves from the football league- yet now their young squad players are invited to take part!

IF the EFLtrophy was run from Feb to May as a straight knock out competition for only L1 & L2 sides (majority would by then no longer be in FAcup or League Cup) it may be viable, but not in its current format, or scrap it

Im certain some Oxford supporters over a certain age, can remember the League cup run a couple of years before we got to Wembley and won the League Milk cup, when we had 2 replays with Manchester united as well as the initial tie, both replays went to extra time, with the deadlock finally broken at the Manor with a late in extra time winner from, I think, Steve Biggins. Granted there have been the odd occasions when the U's have been 'ebarassed' by a lower league side in Fa and League cup matches , and after a replay too, but thats all part of (proper) cup football- or it certainly was!

Doing away with replays is nonsense IMO .... pretty much all clubs have oversized squads of players on their books, probably enough squad players to play 3 matches in different competitions on the same day/date, 'complaining about 'too many games, when they have so many players signed some of them will never play for the PL side they are contracted to's first team as things stand. And with winter breaks and the like, off they trot to various counties abroad to play highly lucrative exhibition matches, or mini tournaments , wonder if those high appearance fee paying games/mini tournaments count in the playing too many games claim???

the sooner the next stage in silly amounts of TV money going to only top level clubs is reached - a European super league type of thing being likely- the better for English football IMO, what remains of the top flight in England wont be so attractive to the likes of SKy sport (etc) Id guess....and then maybe the FA willl finally stand up to the remaining PL clubs, who then wont have the same sort of bargaining power as they have had for many years now

doing away with replays and only playing latter round cup ties midweek is at the very least disrespectful to the oldest cup competition in football , the FA Cup . And its morally and ethically wrong too

So the premiership teams are quite happy to hijack our EFL trophy/Checkatrade/JPT thingy and demand/ask we play extra cup games by way of the initial group stage. That is an extra two games we could have done without.
The EFL group game attracted 1,000 supporters
The replay will attract 11,500.

also bowing to the wishes and allowing the top clubs to rule Sarge...Why are they not contacting Eufa and asking for a knockout competition rather than Group matches because they play too many games...why are they playing pre season Group competitions in all parts of the Globe !!!
will they be relaxing during their winter break, will they Bolloc*s. why do only the Elite get a break and not the rest of football?

They can easily re structure to the league formats but the issue deep down for those top clubs is chasing the money, they could divide all monies equally among all the clubs and revert to 3pm kick offs, tv will not affect crowds.

The problem is not at home it is the other competitions

it stopped being sport years ago

Only fair to point out that KR was pretty anti-replay with his post match comments, BBC in particular highlighted a lower league manager arguing to get rid of them (first time I've seen it). Personally, I'd like to keep them but perhaps add the option of finishing on the day if both teams agree.
I see this ‘if both teams agree’ argument used a lot but I think in practice it simply wouldn’t work. It’s in the smaller team’s interest to foster good relations with the bigger club for potential loans etc - look at us with West Ham this year, for example, where I imagine the Holland loan has come about because of the impressive showing we put in against them. If a Pep Guardiola insists on scrapping a replay, is Karl Robinson or any other league 1 manager really going to be able to refuse, and risk angering them? I highly doubt it.

Essentially, replays benefit the smaller club in a cup competition, but, by the nature of their being smaller, they’re not going to be in a position to refuse a request that a replay is scrapped.

What these clubs are really saying is:

We want to have huge squads and vacuum up all the talent, so the lower leagues can’t enjoy them, but we don’t want to have to risk using them and actually forfeit a game. They’re essentially holding on to young players like unused assets in the hope they conjure up a profit.

What these clubs are really saying is:

We want to have huge squads and vacuum up all the talent, so the lower leagues can’t enjoy them, but we don’t want to have to risk using them and actually forfeit a game. They’re essentially holding on to young players like unused assets in the hope they conjure up a profit.

Apart from teams destined for mid table then the domestic cups are a distraction from either promotion or relegation. And in the premier league, a distraction from playing in Europe or being relegated.

An interesting one is Chris Wilder’s Sheffield United. They are into the 5th round of the FA Cup and perhaps only need a few more wins to get to 40 points and safety in the Premier League. Should they go for it in the FA Cup ? Or concentrate on the league ? And do they want the possibility of Europa league if it then gives them lots more potential games next season which could affect premier league survival?

If we lose the replay, we will eventually end up playing 58 games this season.
If Newcastle lose the replay, they will eventually end up playing 44 games this season.

Yet the Premier League teams are the ones that play too many games?

Shut it, Bruce!

An interesting one is Chris Wilder’s Sheffield United. They are into the 5th round of the FA Cup and perhaps only need a few more wins to get to 40 points and safety in the Premier League. Should they go for it in the FA Cup ? Or concentrate on the league ? And do they want the possibility of Europa league if it then gives them lots more potential games next season which could affect premier league survival?

Whenever anyone asks that question, I always say 'Go and talk to Wigan fans'.

It's possible that they could have survived and had a few more Premier League seasons if they'd focused on the league 100% in 2012-13.
But Martinez went for it, and they now have an FA Cup in their trophy cabinet.

Not heard a single Wigan fan say that they regretted it. Yes, it's better for the finances to be in the PL, and yes it's probably fun to play the 'big clubs' each and every season.
But the memories from a day of Wembley glory, and a European tour, can't be bought and can't be replicated and will be with them for the rest of their lives.

Back
Top Bottom