Predilections for the season

Paul Cannell

I'm going for olives and gherkins.

Glen at the Blackbird tells me he's spent the waste weeks of the summer curating an eye-watering collation of hors d'oeuvres and I for one am looking forward to enjoying pink olives from the slopes of Mt. Ida and invoking the Trojan spirit of defiance with my pints of vitamin G. For those who prefer Fosters, the 'Bird recommends Spreewald gherkins, hardy survivors from Brandenburg in the former German Democratic Republic, perfect, my waitress told me, for cocking a snook at brexiteers.

I don't think I'll be eating canapes in Sunderland, somehow. But never mind, there's always the 'Bird.

There has to be Quince...last year was a bumper harvest. They like a bit of heat, you know.

Mine all got attacked by fruitfly (4real).

I predict that this season I will be mostly sitting up late at home snacking on peanuts and guinness. I will also mostly spend the time after 11pm agonising about whether to go to bed or not: if I do then the Us are bound to start playing better, so do I have a duty to watch (and maybe jinx it) or go to bed to ensure that they play well.

I predict that this season I will be mostly sitting up late at home snacking on peanuts and guinness. I will also mostly spend the time after 11pm agonising about whether to go to bed or not: if I do then the Us are bound to start playing better, so do I have a duty to watch (and maybe jinx it) or go to bed to ensure that they play well.

So I'm not the only one? ( Coopers extra stout for me though)

Protein and vitamins, a perfect diet

For all your culinary needs (well, the Italian ones) I heartily recommend Sabatini's, King Street, Quayside, Newcastle. Served us well two seasons running. Desperately wanted to give some business to Sunderland - that other great north eastern city - but couldn't find a half decent venue. Oh, and it's a s**t hole I couldn't wait to get out of.
must’ve been a ‘spoons up there somewhere? always cheap cheerful food, or were you after something a bit classier

This 'spoons' you speak of, how is it that they are able to offer 'cheerful food', rich in serotonin and dopamine perhaps?

This 'spoons' you speak of, how is it that they are able to offer 'cheerful food', rich in serotonin and dopamine perhaps?
they arrange the food into smiley faces for you, bit tricky when I have the sweet potato and chick pea curry mind but always come out of the place happy

Back
Top Bottom