Pre-season v Leeds United

I watched them play Bodmin Town a couple of years ago with a reserve team in a pre season friendly - they bought well over a 1000 to that!

How odd, being a glory hunter for a useless club

Indeed @werthersoriginal .... I'm with you on that. Never understood the attraction of aligning support and affiliation to a club that in reality most individuals have no connection with.
Exceptions, few that they are, which of course include originating from the area where said club is based but having relocated many miles away. ( OUFC have many exile supporters across the UK, Europe and worldwide), or having lived in the area of said club during a formative period of life, then there's the family legacy of following the same club as an influential older family member.
For example, I know someone who was born and raised in Hemel Hempstead, who has been a ST holder at Anfield since the mid 70s. He was taken to Anfield a few times by his Grandfather, and has been following the bin dippers home and away ever since. Yet local protocol says he should be a Watford supporter, which he most definately isnt.

As well as Leeds, there are other 'big' (name) clubs that have/ have had supporters coaches pick up in Oxford.... Manure being another of them, and theres probably others too.

Strange though it seems to me, not everyone born in and based in (and around )Oxfordshire follows or at least supports OUFC, Those who regularly go and physically watch their chosen team play at home and/or away, whoever that football club maqy be, get a small and grudging degree of respect from me, ( ok, Scummers n Plastics,.... and Orient fans excepted).

The top level (Prem & Championship) armchair/ pub 'football supporters' are the ones who I find very odd individuals. they NEVER got to watch a live game, yet forever rattle on about 'their' team, refer to said team as 'we', and add to the already overflowing coffers of a club they never have, and probably never will, seen play in person, by buying overpriced replica first team shirts each and every season , along with other corperately branded tat. To me they are glory hunters of the worst kind.
After all as supposed football supporters (ha!) , they could, maybe should, follow their local EFL club, OUFC. Fortunes of my National team apart, personally I have somewhere between absolute minimal to none whatsoever interest in any football club other than MY team, Oxford United !;)

Last edited:
In my primary and secondary school playgrounds, absolutely everyone was a Man United fan. No one cared about Oxford scores, and were only nominally fans as a second or third team.

I didnt grow up in a football household, went to a handful of U's games, but pretty much went along with my mates and supported Man U until my late teens. It was only until I moved away that I could discuss lower league football with a varied group, and that supporting Oxford gave me any sort of identity and affinity.

Sad really to think I was ever 'put off' supporting this team, and how many kids feel they can only ever support PL teams to fit in the playgrounds.

I would expect over 2k Leeds to turn up for this friendly. With big LUFC supporters branches in and around Oxford could be even more.

In my primary and secondary school playgrounds, absolutely everyone was a Man United fan. No one cared about Oxford scores, and were only nominally fans as a second or third team.

I didnt grow up in a football household, went to a handful of U's games, but pretty much went along with my mates and supported Man U until my late teens. It was only until I moved away that I could discuss lower league football with a varied group, and that supporting Oxford gave me any sort of identity and affinity.

Sad really to think I was ever 'put off' supporting this team, and how many kids feel they can only ever support PL teams to fit in the playgrounds.

I don't know where and when you went to school, but for me and my friends it was always Oxford United. We only became a League club the year after I started primary school, and my dad was an Oxford City fan, so it wasn't a family tradition but most kids followed the Us at my school.

I'd be interested to know where and when you went to school, as it seems an unusual scenario.

I don't know where and when you went to school, but for me and my friends it was always Oxford United. We only became a League club the year after I started primary school, and my dad was an Oxford City fan, so it wasn't a family tradition but most kids followed the Us at my school.

I'd be interested to know where and when you went to school, as it seems an unusual scenario.

When I was at school in the 90s in Abingdon, I reckon there were a handful of committed OUFC fans like me. Massively outnumbered by plastics and that was when we were often a second tier club.

Conclusion: kids are f*****g idiots.

I was a fan of one of the 'Big Four' when I was a kid - I think the reason is that you can just switch on the TV / Playstation at any time and just engage with the club at any time. For Oxford - especially when I was growing up in the late 90s/early 00s - the Oxford Mail and local news segments were the only time I could really "access" Oxford United, so why would I follow them. They were less 'local' than most Premier League Clubs, the players and trivia of which I could learn every fact about almost instantly.

Of course, things changed and as I entered my teens I realised that attending Oxford games with my dad was more significant than celebrating in front of the TV/radio.

Banbury in the 90s. Premier League inception and Man U winning everything. Equals kids with an quick and easily earned sense of superiority.

I remember Paul Moody visiting my summer 'football camp' to hand out prizes, and no one else seemed all that fussed.

I'm hoping it's better these days now that Football League highlights have a proper place on Saturday night telly. Not shoved away at midnight like they used to be.

I grew up mostly in Warwickshire, most popular clubs when I was at school were Coventry, Villa (local so no problem with that) and of course loads of Man United 'fans'

As I've said before I was practically BORN into the club. One Uncle who was a director and both parents fanatical supporters. Never had any real choice.

Not that I've EVER regretted it.

Are there any Leeds fans left in Leeds? There seem to be a lot of them elsewhere...

My story is similar tor btf's post, "supported" man united during primary school (early 2000's), never went to old trafford and only watched them on telly a handful of times. Parents were never big football people so didn't have that encouragement to support my local team. Was only until 2009 when a family friend asked why I supported man united and I couldn't give him any reason that he suggested I start following OUFC. Anyway, 9 years, three wembley finals and many season tickets later my blood runs yellow and blue and I honestly could say it was the greatest decision of my life!

Last edited:
My story is similar tor btf's post, "supported" man united during primary school (early 2000's), never went to old trafford and only watched them on telly a handful of times. Parents were never big football people so didn't have that encouragement to support my local team. Was only until 2009 when a family friend asked why I supported man united and I couldn't give him any reason that he suggested I start following OUFC. Anyway, 9 years, three wembley finals and many season tickets later my blood runs yellow and blue and I honestly could say it was the greatest decision of my life!

Started following us in 2009? Glory supporter! ;)

Back
Top Bottom