Matches Pre season games.......2022

As everyone knows, the term 'XI' (Latin for 'eleven') means a mixture of reserve and youth team players in a friendly match. But I'm curious as to how and why the term came to be widely used.

In theory, people who know nothing about football could take it the wrong way and assume that it implies that clubs could be allowed to have more than eleven players on the field at any time during a friendly match.

So, for example, if say, we had Yarnton v Oxford United XI in a friendly, our theoretical friend (who didn't know anything about football except for being aware that Oxford United are a big club) might assume that Yarnton were allowed to have 12 or 13 players on the pitch at any point in the match, while Oxford were only allowed eleven, in order to give Yarnton a fairer chance of winning!

Last edited:
Wanting to go to the Eastleigh game on the 13th july. Can only see tickets available on eastleigh's website. Is this the only place where you can get them? apart from pay at the gate?

Is anybody going to either if the games today?
525 at North Leigh and 3 1 up

Finished 3-1.

McGuane, Taylor (P) and Browne with the goals.

Given that the trialist came on after 75 mins and the OWC report says "United then gave their scholars a chance to finish the game for 15 minutes" I presume he was perhaps trying out to be a scholar rather than a first team squad member?

SInclair has been NAMED on the public team sheet, does this mean he is an OUFC player?

A good work out on quite a warm afternoon. For me Ciaron Brown was the best player on the pitch, reads the game very well. Mous was steady alongside.
Browne and Bodin appeared to be playing well within themselves but you can see the quality.
Smyth looked tidy and strong even though I think it was he who lost possession which led to the Nor Lye goal.
Mcguane went off with an injury, but it looked like a precaution more than anything else
Of the younger players I thought Sove at right back was steady, whereas Owens struggled at left back up against NL’s no7 who looked their best player. Am I right in thinking Owens is actually a forward??
All the youngsters that came on with 15 minutes to go acquitted themselves well and were pretty energetic and positive in their play.

SInclair has been NAMED on the public team sheet, does this mean he is an OUFC player?

I guess so, would be down as trialist if not. Maybe oxford haven't announced the signing as they know most fans would be underwhelmed?

A good work out on quite a warm afternoon. For me Ciaron Brown was the best player on the pitch, reads the game very well. Mous was steady alongside.
Browne and Bodin appeared to be playing well within themselves but you can see the quality.
Smyth looked tidy and strong even though I think it was he who lost possession which led to the Nor Lye goal.
Mcguane went off with an injury, but it looked like a precaution more than anything else
Of the younger players I thought Sove at right back was steady, whereas Owens struggled at left back up against NL’s no7 who looked their best player. Am I right in thinking Owens is actually a forward??
All the youngsters that came on with 15 minutes to go acquitted themselves well and were pretty energetic and positive in their play.
Nice to hear from someone who was actually there as opposed to the snipers from their sofas.
Interesting report, thanks

Back
Top Bottom