Ex Player Alex Rodriguez Gorrin

Sam Long fir me but Jack Stevens a very close second and McGuane third

Jack Stevens - it was all for him to prove himself. He could have been a one game disaster and consigned to OUFC history. But he certainly wasn't.

Longy for me. Played well at CB and brilliantly at RB, long passes, goals, runs.

Stevens would be a deserving winner, too, though.

I voted for Long, but Stevens was also right up there (if he works on his kicking, he might make it next month!)

Sam Long has been outstanding this season, and is a shoe-in for POTY at this stage.

But Jack Stevens - a young keeper who had barely played a game above Conference south level - has come into a team that hadn't kept a clean sheet in the league since February.....and promptly managed four in six games.

Yes, he's been helped out by the defense (and Gorrin) playing great, and yes his kicking has been a little suspect. But in general, his positioning, decision-making, communication and just his confidence - especially for someone with so little experience - has done wonders to shore things up at the back. Plus that double-save against the Wombles was epic.

He deserves this month's award going away.......

But in general, his positioning, decision-making, communication and just his confidence - especially for someone with so little experience
I do agree Tony that his overall game and confidence has been surprising for a goalkeeper so young ( and 23 is young for a keeper)
Long may it continue.
There have been 3 or 4 young keepers that appear to have been rated in the youth team over the last few years but the club have always backed Stevens. It looks like they have been proved right.

Jack Stevens for me. The defensive unit looks so much more settled with Stevens confidently bossing them about. It was a change that needed to be made and I just wish it had been made sooner.

Sam Long gets an honourable mention too.

Jack Stevens for me. The defensive unit looks so much more settled with Stevens confidently bossing them about. It was a change that needed to be made and I just wish it had been made sooner.

Sam Long gets an honourable mention too.
fair call - 'twas a mere fag paper between the two of 'em for me, albeit Longy just shaded it IMO

Quality today. He went off on one of his trademark runs in the second half but on balance, it was a really disciplined performance. No they didn’t cause us too many problems, but you can only play what’s put in front of you.

I enjoyed that both he and Elliot Moore were happy to launch the ball when necessary.
Same here. It was a really disciplined, no frills and just do the basics absolutely right, kind of performance. They were both excellent.

Back
Top Bottom