Potential New Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway, in other news.. Anyone else seen this? Could we follow a similar model?

The Club are a basket case, Fossetts Farm has been "in the pipeline" since I lived there 20 years ago.
At the time Sainsburys were mooted to want the Roots Hall site for a supermarket.
If you go on Google Earth the roofing frame work for the "new ground" is stacked up on some waste land where it was delivered a long, long time ago.
The prospect of SUFC getting a ground built before our shenanigans is resolved is slim at best...................

When I lived in Chelmsford thirty years ago they talked about a move to Basildon. So many raised hopes, but it’d take deep pockets and much cash to do it

It makes sticking with what we have or buying the current site somewhat more viable......

With central banks printing money like it’s going out of fashion, a world wide recession coming, increased unemployment. My guess is we’re going to have a whole generation experiencing some serious inflation for the first time. Rising wages to combat inflation and a fall in assets prices.

Might be a good time for Kassam to cash in before property prices start to fall, which they will in my opinion.

.."sticking with what we have" has always been more viable - & you're right Yellow River - dear old Firoz will certainly be looking at this with a different perspective.

Big news concerning developments in and around Oxford City. Note the mention of not just housing but also "our community, leisure and cultural facilities"
Some of the areas marked as for development are in areas which could have been considered for a new stadium. It could be that things are moving forward.

Sadly, the Inspectors report - Oxford Local Plan 2036 - not make specific reference to "a stadium" but does clarify that several "green belt" sites in and around Oxford could be developed under the plan. Clarity is made of the Oxford Stadium and the desire to return to speedway and greyhound racing. (not football)

There is also reference to a "five year" building schedule which would tie in with the current lease on the Kass Stad.

Big news concerning developments in and around Oxford City. Note the mention of not just housing but also "our community, leisure and cultural facilities"
Some of the areas marked as for development are in areas which could have been considered for a new stadium. It could be that things are moving forward.

Sadly, the Inspectors report - Oxford Local Plan 2036 - not make specific reference to "a stadium" but does clarify that several "green belt" sites in and around Oxford could be developed under the plan. Clarity is made of the Oxford Stadium and the desire to return to speedway and greyhound racing. (not football)

There is also reference to a "five year" building schedule which would tie in with the current lease on the Kass Stad.
And there was me thinking that OCC said they had no where to build houses within the city boundaries

Oxpens, the dream.

Imagine the potential commercial gain from having a stadium within a stones throw of a brand new shopping complex.
Would go hand in hand as the tourists and shoppers arriving at the station would be directed to the ground via advertising boards and road signs, raising the club profile.
Many football fans would end up in pubs or going shopping before and after matches.
A city centre stadium with plenty of local businesses that would thrive off of it on match days.
Easy rail links for people travelling via the new East-West Mainline, Charlbury direction, Didcot and more.
We wouldn't even need to come up with a creative name for the ground, "The Oxpen Stadium", or even better just "The Oxpen/Ox Pen" would be incredible and very original, unlike the classic (insert name here) Road/Park.

Negatives? Cost obviously, developing Oxpens would likely be significantly more expensive due to the land value. In addition it would be situated on a floodplain meaning the foundations would need to be raised to avoid flooding. Not to mention OCC being a total bitch for allowing anything positive to ever happen.

The final and obvious draw back would be traffic as the Botley road and other surrounding roads are already car parks on Saturdays. Solution? Park and ride and a leisurely walk in, all while passing more shops and pubs to entice the average Joe to spending their money in their elevated spirits.

All pie in the sky though, one can only dream.

Last edited:
Oxpens, the dream.

Imagine the potential commercial gain from having a stadium within a stones throw of a brand new shopping complex.
Would go hand in hand as the tourists and shoppers arriving at the station would be directed to the ground via advertising boards and road signs, raising the club profile.
Many football fans would end up in pubs or going shopping before and after matches.
A city centre stadium with plenty of local businesses that would thrive off of it on match days.
Easy rail links for people travelling via the new East-West Mainline, Charlbury direction, Didcot and more.
We wouldn't even need to come up with a creative name for the ground, "The Oxpen Stadium", or even better just "The Oxpen/Ox Pen" would be incredible and very original, unlike the classic (insert name here) Road/Park.

Negatives? Cost obviously, developing Oxpens would likely be significantly more expensive due to the land value. In addition it would be situated on a floodplain meaning the foundations would need to be raised to avoid flooding. Not to mention OCC being a total bitch for allowing anything positive to ever happen.

The final and obvious draw back would be traffic as the Botley road and other surrounding roads are already car parks on Saturdays. Solution? Park and ride and a leisurely walk in, all while passing more shops and pubs to entice the average Joe to spending their money in their elevated spirits.

But the other negative do you think the landlords of the Westgate and definitely the OCC would allow planning permission? Definitely not.

But the other negative do you think the landlords of the Westgate and definitely the OCC would allow planning permission? Definitely not.
What if we said pretty pretty please with a cherry on top? Maybe a cheeky brown envelope through the door would help. Come on Mr Money, we know you're out there.

Oxpens, the dream.

It would be a dream location. But you won't stop fans complaining that they cannot drive to and from their seat without queuing. [emoji846]

It would be a dream location. But you won't stop fans complaining that they cannot drive to and from their seat without queuing. [emoji846]
Tell you what if the ground was at Oxpens with me living in Banbury would take 1 car off the road, mine. 16 minutes on the train and a few minute walk into town and a couple of pints and the same afterwards in reverse would suit me down to the ground.

There could be a car park just for disabled etc. Everyone else can use park and rides, buses , trains. I wouldn't moan I couldn't drive to it, 10 minute walk from my house to the bus stop, x3 to Ox city centre 20 mins, would actually be quicker than the queue to get out of the kassam car park. Let's get and build it.

There could be a car park just for disabled etc. Everyone else can use park and rides, buses , trains. I wouldn't moan I couldn't drive to it, 10 minute walk from my house to the bus stop, x3 to Ox city centre 20 mins, would actually be quicker than the queue to get out of the kassam car park. Let's get and build it.
Can see the 400 million west gate welcoming OUFC with open arms and I’m sure OCC would also welcoming.

Let’s get and build it.......won’t happen I’m afraid and definitely not as easy as that

Opening up the line to the Science Park would help fans traveling in from the east of oxford and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom