Potential New Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
We started to look at moving house just over a year ago. Checked out many places for suitability. Didn't tell all our friends and most family until we had found what we wanted, knew we could line up all the ducks and the deal would be sorted. So that was a year for a straightforward domestic relocation. Site searching, researching, planning and financing considerations make any stadium purchase/ build/ refurb more complex let alone issues of commercial sensitivity. I really wouldn't expect to hear anything until we are pretty well en route to a solution.
Yep I understand that, but theres a huge amount of blind faith that a solution is going to be found, and that its a nice new stadium. With Zaki and NM appearing to not be on the same page about the way forward at the last fans forum and Zaki saying that ‘all options are still being explored’ and ‘please stop the speculation’ etc as recently as a couple of weeks ago, Im struggling to be as optimistic that we are a way down the road to a new stadium as some. There just seems to be a broadly accepted assumption that the plan is to relocate to a new stadium when from what I see, an announcement of a new lease at Grenoble Road is just as likely. I can only go on what I see and hear from the people involved, the fact that they are still here and committed to the club is a good sign that they can still see a successful way forward though. Its their investment, so whatever route they choose to go down, I’ll have to trust its the best for a healthy football club. Theyve got most things right over all so far.

No it doesn't. The accounts are for the Kassam Stadium including the conference centre.
The point I was clumsily trying to highlight was that the stadium complex as a whole makes a reasonable profit as is.

Others have eluded that it is under utilised and that many local businesses would use it if the club were to benefit directly from their patronage.

Half a million today could become a million + if the wind were to blow in that direction

The point I was clumsily trying to highlight was that the stadium complex as a whole makes a reasonable profit as is.

Others have eluded that it is under utilised and that many local businesses would use it if the club were to benefit directly from their patronage.

Half a million today could become a million + if the wind were to blow in that direction
I see your point on the facilities being under utilised and @Essexyellows is probably right that we are being ripped off on the service charge.
But let's suppose the stadium ownership is transferred from Stadco to OUFC.
The £2m turnover without the OUFC contribution is now down to c£1.2m. If maintenance costs stayed the same, the £0.5m profit is now a -£0.3m loss.
By maxing-out conference utilisation and stadium maintenance efficiencies, concessions etc, we may get back to break-even or a bit more.
But it's never going to generate enough money to cover the repayment costs of the initial purchase price.

Interesting turn of events.

Could strengthen FK's hand in valuing Grenoble Road or, could provide a potential site for development. Either way, it's a move which will have an influence over potential sites.

Interesting turn of events.

Could strengthen FK's hand in valuing Grenoble Road or, could provide a potential site for development. Either way, it's a move which will have an influence over potential sites.

Or it makes purchasing the stadium more appealing with lots of houses & customers appearing "over the road"?

Or it makes purchasing the stadium more appealing with lots of houses & customers appearing "over the road"?
Less, surely? That plot of land is about to rocket in value. No way is FK going to let that go on the cheap. However, the value in getting OUFC out of another 25 year licence may be increasing. If he could knock down the stadium and build either houses or, shops, doctors/dentist surgery etc maybe, just maybe he would be prepared to offer a short term or rolling deal while we sort out an alternative?

Less, surely? That plot of land is about to rocket in value. No way is FK going to let that go on the cheap. However, the value in getting OUFC out of another 25 year licence may be increasing. If he could knock down the stadium and build either houses or, shops, doctors/dentist surgery etc maybe, just maybe he would be prepared to offer a short term or rolling deal while we sort out an alternative?

Not necessarily, the value now is in the land, as SODC have fudged the otherside of GR for ages.
If they get rolled over on their "greenbelt" objection the College will cash in.
Almost all the preliminary work has been done already with archaeological trench`s etc all done & reported. The bulldozers could move straight in.
That releases a huge block of land and many years work for builders/developers.
They won`t want to be fudging about knocking down a football stadium when they can just build on a flat, empty site.

This whole OCC will take over issue was caused, in part, by the then Tory SODC adding Grenoble Road development (in the form of the South Oxford Science Village) as a strategic site to the emerging Local Plan. When they lost control at the local elections, the Green/Lib Dem alliance wanted to withdraw the plan and draw up their own, which is when the Govt stepped in and effectively stopped any further discussions. I wonder how the Tory controlled OCC will choose to implement their new planning powers, should they be offered them by the Conservative government........

What developer is going to pay top dollar for a few acres of brownfield that he has to clear and make safe if they can get a lovely greenfield site which you can start building on with much less hassle with the support of all the major players a foregone conclusion.

As predicted by OxVox many moons ago.

Housing to be built, 30,000 more people within walking distance of a football club, more reasons to stay at The Kassam Stadium and develop/regenerate the area. Who knew? Who listened?
I'm not entirely sure that I remember this news update from OxVox. Perhaps you could point me in the right direction?

As predicted by OxVox many moons ago.

Housing to be built, 30,000 more people within walking distance of a football club, more reasons to stay at The Kassam Stadium and develop/regenerate the area. Who knew? Who listened?
I remember well.
But I also remember that the issue was how to pay for it. Has anybody ever come up with a solution?
Plus of course the friendly Mr Kassam who 'supported' Oxvox's Community Stadium plan but then withdrew discussions.

I remember well.
But I also remember that the issue was how to pay for it. Has anybody ever come up with a solution?
Plus of course the friendly Mr Kassam who 'supported' Oxvox's Community Stadium plan but then withdrew discussions.

Get some very rich folk on the board. ✅

Get some very rich folk on the board. ✅
Maybe we did, briefly... nobody really hears anything from anyone other than Zaki and Tiger. We know that Erick has now wandered off to do something else instead. Hopefully the others aren’t following suit.

I'm not entirely sure that I remember this news update from OxVox. Perhaps you could point me in the right direction?

I've not got the time really to sift through the internet but a couple of quick searches that show that housing was highly likely are here:

Admin, can you close this thread please, it was perpetrated by a few mindless individuals who put their ego before the clubs well being, all it has done has raised fans expectations that we will be soon moving into a free £50m stadium and all the clubs troubles will be gone, this has mobilised the vocal part of the fan base on here and social media to bash the club and 101 conspiracy theories why we haven't moved yet, its put a milestone burden around the clubs neck.

Admin, can you close this thread please, it was perpetrated by a few mindless individuals who put their ego before the clubs well being, all it has done has raised fans expectations that we will be soon moving into a free £50m stadium and all the clubs troubles will be gone, this has mobilised the vocal part of the fan base on here and social media to bash the club and 101 conspiracy theories why we haven't moved yet, its put a milestone burden around the clubs neck.
Admin please dont close this thread.
The ground continues to be the biggest strategic issue of the clubs future and no way should people not be allowed to discuss this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom