Potential New Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah yeah, I expect you’re right, but there would need to be some serious research and planning rather than just assuming people would come. It’s certainly worked for Reading as you say

20k stadium with the option to add to it isn't really taking a gamble, already stated cost of a 15k compared to 20k is minimal. Let's just get the stadium correct, with nice concourses and utilise the space under the stands for fans to pre drink etc

Controversial but I don’t get all this “plastic” fans bit that some seem to view in general as a negative or inferior beings. Not everyone (sadly!) is a football fanatic, those with a passing interest come and go and would choose the better/bigger matches to watch. They have other hobbies/commitments. Those are the people we’ll need to attract and hopefully turn them into regulars such as us and willing to maybe share those toilets one day at Stafford Rangers! (Not sure that sounds right at any level but those that went will know what I mean!)

Oxford has a population of about 150K. Reading has a population of around 220K, but in addition they have Wokingham and Bracknell 10 miles down the road who have another 250K residents between them. The ground has obviously made a big difference but as a population centre Reading is about three times the size of Oxford.

I live near both Wokingham borough and Bracknell forest (which are where your population stats come from, the towns are no where near that big) and they are mostly populated with people who have left London and their families, a bit like Milton Keynes in the respect that they already support clubs and those clubs are still easily accessible from those areas. I have seen the odd Reading top on a kid round my way but it’s mostly London clubs, more Brentford fans in a pub I go in.

Oxfordshire’s remoter nature is an advantage, the club needs to stay in the centre of the county and find a way to draw in more of the population as Oxfordshire has more of a local identity that the commuter community’s to our south east.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more with that. I think it needs to be done sooner rather than later with the mad rush to build commuter hutches along every imagined 'corridor' and quite a few formerly quiet lanes. which will, if they ever find buyers, dilute the ahem autochthonous populace.

Couldn't agree more with that. I think it needs to be done sooner rather than later with the mad rush to build commuter hutches along every imagined 'corridor' and quite a few formerly quiet lanes. which will, if they ever find buyers, dilute the ahem autochthonous populace.

Thanks for the new word Mr C.

I'm not one of @Paul Cannell 's autochthonous* populace, having first moved to Oxfordshire at the ripe old age of 15 but, having been introduced to actually attending a football match via OUFC I have remained a supporter for nearly 50 years (scary thought)
From my viewpoint I would advocate attracting the invading hordes of commuter hutch dwellers as they too spend money and can swell the crowd and, given the right entertainment, would/could become lifelong supporters or at least their children might. That said, a nice sparkly, comfortable new stadium with all mod cons would help enormously.

* I had to look it up, so can you, lazy git!

I'm not one of @Paul Cannell 's autochthonous* populace, having first moved to Oxfordshire at the ripe old age of 15 but, having been introduced to actually attending a football match via OUFC I have remained a supporter for nearly 50 years (scary thought)

Nor am I but I moved to Oxfordshire some 30 years ago and what with kids and such have regularly attended / supported OUFC for the last 20. It's a good point you make that the issue is not a 'nativist' thing but one of culture. I moved to Oxon because I was working in West London and Oxon was the ONLY place within 1 hour's drive (ah comapny cars and free petrol) that had any distinctive culture - that's what I should have said was at risk.

/slaps forehead with dictionary

I live near both Wokingham borough and Bracknell forest (which are where your population stats come from, the towns are no where near that big) and they are mostly populated with people who have left London and their families, a bit like Milton Keynes in the respect that they already support clubs and those clubs are still easily accessible from those areas. I have seen the odd Reading top on a kid round my way but it’s mostly London clubs, more Brentford fans in a pub I go in.

Oxfordshire’s remoter nature is an advantage, the club needs to stay in the centre of the county and find a way to draw in more of the population as Oxfordshire has more of a local identity that the commuter community’s to our south east.
A Stadium close to the ring road and motorway access....Pear tree was the ideal site 30 years ago and probably still is but without support from the various councils we'll never move from Grenoble Road. Maybe a win win would be a multi purpose site, including Stadium plus move the Ice rink from the city Centre such they could share facilities could be a draw for the wider population of Oxon. Council gets prime site in city center and Grenoble road can be redeveloped?

And also Zaki has put 'IF and when'. Either just a turn of phrase or we are much less far down the road than some would have you believe.

It's actually been particularly quiet on the stadium rumours front recently, I wonder what prompted him to tweet that?

And also Zaki has put 'IF and when'. Either just a turn of phrase or we are much less far down the road than some would have you believe.

It's actually been particularly quiet on the stadium rumours front recently, I wonder what prompted him to tweet that?
Just maybe, it has never been anywhere near a road never mind what some on here suggested, there seems an element of frustration in that tweet.

Just maybe, it has never been anywhere near a road never mind what some on here suggested, there seems an element of frustration in that tweet.
It is not people on here.
It is from the football club itself.
Have you bot heard comments from NMcW? He has made clear that good progress has been made and there would definitely be an announcement this season.

I am wondering whether the frustration could be re comments about the new deal with Kassam (no rent, the club running the stadium etc)

Mr Kassam has hardly got a thick skin and he could well be upset with these rumours?

What rumours?

I notice Scotchegg, I mean Niall has gone quiet on this front for a while!
Yes, just the normal speculation on here of peoples opinions.
It could be the front of the house at the club are not aware of the investors intentions, we could all be surprised.

It is not people on here.
It is from the football club itself.
Have you bot heard comments from NMcW? He has made clear that good progress has been made and there would definitely be an announcement this season.

I am wondering whether the frustration could be re comments about the new deal with Kassam (no rent, the club running the stadium etc)

Mr Kassam has hardly got a thick skin and he could well be upset with these rumours?
Is it really, I'm sure Zaki only has to say to Niall his employee, excuse me old chap turn down the rhetoric about the stadium please, not via a tweet.
As for the "announcement" everyone is reading into that is going to be about a new stadium, who know it could be about a new lease/licence, 4th stand, there should be some sort of news from the club.

Is it really, I'm sure Zaki only has to say to Niall his employee, excuse me old chap turn down the rhetoric about the stadium please, not via a tweet.
As for the "announcement" everyone is reading into that is going to be about a new stadium, who know it could be about a new lease/licence, 4th stand, there should be some sort of news from the club.
With regard to the announcement, this is based on the fact that the Directors/ NMcM has made clear that the current arrangement doesnt work and the club have clearly been looking at hee sites for a new stadium (I am assuming that you dont disagree with any of that).
You are right that the Kassam has never been fully rejected.
If the announcement is just for a 4th stand, this will be a huge disappointment I would think.

With regard to Zaki's comment, which rumours do you think have contributed to his comments?
The only new rumour I have read is the one regarding oufc having the stadium rent free.
Kassam may be irritated by this if it is a possibility and may have fed this back to Zaki. Or do you have a different view?

What rumours?

I notice Scotchegg, I mean Niall has gone quiet on this front for a while!
My thoughts remain the same, but there are only so many times you can share a view with others demanding proof, which would never happen under commercial sensitivities. I'll respect the view of the club not to fuel ongoing rumours and won't comment further, but my views remain on record and nothing has happened to change them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom