Potential New Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given how well we played against Man City in front of a wide audience why was the place half empty against Hartlepool in the biggest domestic cup competition?

You are joking arent you? Half the ground was shut you turd, we basically sold out the sections that were open.

No, I just prefer to recognise the huge positives around our club right now rather than moaning about not selling out to Hartlepool!!!

Then if you don't want reasoned debate or input on how things might be better crowd wise think about what you write as nobody was/is moaning it was You that had a dig and keep spouting on about 10k crowds in games when there should/would have been whilst trying to act clever about what myself and others had suggested previously.

Mmm. Although you nearly made me all dewy eyed about the FA Cup, I reckon that the crowd against Hartlepool was a very good one ?
Cardiff's crowd in the same round was 5,800, Burnley 8,000 and Birmingham v Blackburn 7,300.
Playing against a team 2 leagues lower in what is a much less important game, I reckon the crowd was higher than would have been expected

i was responding to what scotters wrote and like him you've also missed the point.

i was responding to what scotters wrote and like him you've also missed the point.
I was responding to your question as to why the ground was only half full against Hartlepool after the performance against Man City.
Regardless of your argument with Scotchegg, in my view that is a poor argument.

You are joking arent you? Half the ground was shut you turd, we basically sold out the sections that were open.

you also missed the point and i was responding to scotters dig

Well that is one way to increase attendance percentages! Lets start by demolishing the North Stand as it seems we don`t need it. ? ? **

Buy the ground, not the land, flats in the corners, finish the West stand, make us sustainable for 20 years and start seriously looking at another new build.

**this is a joke for those who might be challenged/triggered.

I was responding to your question as to why the ground was only half full against Hartlepool after the performance against Man City.
Regardless of your argument with Scotchegg, in my view that is a poor argument.

yes i am aware of that but the old debate had been about how to attract new fans and i and 1 or 2 others gave suggestions, scotchegg then brought it up again trying to be clever after 5 games saw decent crowds whilst ignoring that it is the games against the likes of Hartlepool that need the promoting.

whatever i say is going to be taken out of context so i'll leave it there

yes i am aware of that but the old debate had been about how to attract new fans and i and 1 or 2 others gave suggestions, scotchegg then brought it up again trying to be clever after 5 games saw decent crowds whilst ignoring that it is the games against the likes of Hartlepool that need the promoting.

whatever i say is going to be taken out of context so i'll leave it there

There is no context! Of course Man City will attract more fans than Hartlepool, no one is suggesting otherwise.

This season will likely see an increase in average league attendance by over 1000 which includes good and bad games, wet Tuesdays in January and sunny last games of the season. That is the relevant point rather than looking at the odd game here or there.

After West Ham, you said, how many will return? Well it looks like a fair few of them, and not just for the big games. We're playing great football which is getting results on the pitch. That helps. We are engaging with fans better. That helps. We are trying to improve parking on and off site. That helps. And all of this has been done without compromising commercial gains by giving tickets away.

There are many good things going on at the club right now, and it's a real shame you can't acknowledge that.

Putting aside whether we eventually move or don’t, capacity has to be taken seriously. For all the love for The Manor, we’re on average a better supported club now than we were in Headington. Football has evolved to be a more professional, family-oriented form of entertainment and that’s persuaded more people to go from a wider range of backgrounds. That should be embraced and I think the commercial aim to be presenting ourselves as ‘Oxfordshire United’ is the west go of going about it. We can attract the wider county to games now which I don’t think was so possible at The Manor.

12.5k is enough at our present level. A 15k stadium in the Championship would be sufficient and, in the realms of fantasy with a benevolent sugar daddy funding us to the PL, a 20k stadium would be the limit. Half empty stadiums are miserable places to watch games and a tighter, more compact and filled ground will always create a better experience – see Kenilworth Road v Stadium: MK for example.

Let’s not pretend something we’re not. We’re not ever going to be a Liverpool or Manchester United and that doesn’t bother me. I’m not following Oxford for the endless flow of trophies (I think I would have cottoned on that they’re not that great at acquiring them a long time ago!). I’m in it for following my hometown club, getting to go to games with mates who also follow them and every now and again enjoying one of their moments in the limelight. We’re no bigger than a Bournemouth or Brentford but both have made strides to establish themselves outside of the third tier and we can with the right management and a fair wind do the same, but there’s no need to overstretch ourselves nor jettison what makes Oxford United special.

Putting aside whether we eventually move or don’t, capacity has to be taken seriously. For all the love for The Manor, we’re on average a better supported club now than we were in Headington. Football has evolved to be a more professional, family-oriented form of entertainment and that’s persuaded more people to go from a wider range of backgrounds. That should be embraced and I think the commercial aim to be presenting ourselves as ‘Oxfordshire United’ is the west go of going about it. We can attract the wider county to games now which I don’t think was so possible at The Manor.

12.5k is enough at our present level. A 15k stadium in the Championship would be sufficient and, in the realms of fantasy with a benevolent sugar daddy funding us to the PL, a 20k stadium would be the limit. Half empty stadiums are miserable places to watch games and a tighter, more compact and filled ground will always create a better experience – see Kenilworth Road v Stadium: MK for example.

Let’s not pretend something we’re not. We’re not ever going to be a Liverpool or Manchester United and that doesn’t bother me. I’m not following Oxford for the endless flow of trophies (I think I would have cottoned on that they’re not that great at acquiring them a long time ago!). I’m in it for following my hometown club, getting to go to games with mates who also follow them and every now and again enjoying one of their moments in the limelight. We’re no bigger than a Bournemouth or Brentford but both have made strides to establish themselves outside of the third tier and we can with the right management and a fair wind do the same, but there’s no need to overstretch ourselves nor jettison what makes Oxford United special.

rubbish - 6 trophies acquired in the last 15 years, that's a lot better than Spurs.

And don't forget the Guinness 6-a-side trophy.

Bit like the one we are in now? ?
I get the comparison with Reading & Brentford.
Brighton have an immense catchment area and have generally been more successful than both Reading, Brentford & Us.
Yes the current ground size (intended to be 15 000 and I believe 20k with the corners filled in) was probably the right size (if not design)
If Mr Kassam would give the club a really good deal, and somehow there was the finance to develop/ improve the stadium, it could work.
Personally I think that Mr Kassam will never give the club a good deal ( and there is the issue of sharing car parks etc)
So if the owners can financially structure a quality new stadium maybe I'd a similar size, I am not sure whether too many oufc supporters would be upset??

There is no context! Of course Man City will attract more fans than Hartlepool, no one is suggesting otherwise.

This season will likely see an increase in average league attendance by over 1000 which includes good and bad games, wet Tuesdays in January and sunny last games of the season. That is the relevant point rather than looking at the odd game here or there.

After West Ham, you said, how many will return? Well it looks like a fair few of them, and not just for the big games. We're playing great football which is getting results on the pitch. That helps. We are engaging with fans better. That helps. We are trying to improve parking on and off site. That helps. And all of this has been done without compromising commercial gains by giving tickets away.

There are many good things going on at the club right now, and it's a real shame you can't acknowledge that.

there you go again, what is it with you? i have not moaned or whatever you wish to call it about what's going on today it was YOU who decided to have a dig about an old debate that raised "Suggestions" for ways to attract new fans why bring it up if you don't want counter debate?

To say it's games like Accrington Southend Hartlepool.Fleetwood that need promoting is not moaning it is fact so rather than thumping your chest on a small scale of games where crowds were higher try to grasp what i've said and think Long Term.

it is not about today,You acknowledged that it's games like Man City that will attract more fans but what do you propose to do to flll the seats for the less glamorous games?

As was said back then you can wait to reach the promised land and hope that that will be suffice but in an ever changing modern world people have already began to find other things to do. it is the next generation and those in the 20-30 age group that you need to attract.

You may believe that once in the Championship the ground (whichever one) will be full most games but everything is the premiershi*e clubs and yes people will pop along when the likes of Man City come calling but i do not see a family who are planning their day out deciding that Oxford v Derby is a decent option, that is just an opinion nothing more.

Nobody can deny things are going well at present but Everyone has opinions and those were mine and i repeat opinions nothing more.

To say it's games like Accrington Southend Hartlepool.Fleetwood that need promoting is not moaning it is fact so rather than thumping your chest on a small scale of games where crowds were higher try to grasp what i've said and think Long Term.

Do you not think it's a little pointless to say that we are not doing enough to promote games that haven't yet taken place?

Lets look at the Fleetwood game. Second to last home game, last weekend of school easter holidays and a decent chance that we could be looking at promotion or playoffs? That will be huge. Then Southend on the last day of February on the back of a big home game against Sunderland? Again, that will be 9k+.

Games against Accrington and AFC Wimbledon will be midweek I'd guess so that might impact on numbers, but if we continue this form then I can see 8k+ for both these games too.

Then add in Rotherham, Ipswich, Blackpool, Sunderland, MK Dons, Portsmouth, Bristol Rovers and Bolton and I reckon we'll see getting on for 9-10k or more for most of these games.

So, what more do you expect?

...Then Southend on the last day of February on the back of a big home game against Sunderland? Again, that will be 9k+.....

The way things are looking at the moment we'll be able to dust off the old "Barrow, on a Tuesday night..." chant.

I, too, would prefer not to watch games in a half-empty echoing stadium and the reality is that people will come to watch a SUCCESSFUL team. Our crowds have improved because we are challenging at the right end of the division (and to a lesser extent, playing good football) but that won’t always be the case. The second year in the championship and the novelty factor of Middlesboro, Millwall and Brentford, for example, will certainly have worn off for most of the ‘casual’ support. Plus we are more likely to be losing more than winning....
Yes, let’s be ambitious, but talking of filling a stadium with a 20,000+ capacity on a weekly basis in the championship is pie in the sky.

I, too, would prefer not to watch games in a half-empty echoing stadium and the reality is that people will come to watch a SUCCESSFUL team. Our crowds have improved because we are challenging at the right end of the division (and to a lesser extent, playing good football) but that won’t always be the case. The second year in the championship and the novelty factor of Middlesboro, Millwall and Brentford, for example, will certainly have worn off for most of the ‘casual’ support. Plus we are more likely to be losing more than winning....
Yes, let’s be ambitious, but talking of filling a stadium with a 20,000+ capacity on a weekly basis in the championship is pie in the sky.
Plus in 10 years time we are just as likely to be in League 2 as in the Championship.

I am not sure I have heard anybody suggesting that we would fill a 20k stadium week after week.
Readings capacity is 24,000.
Their average in the Championship is normally around 17k, with crowds as low as 11k but they do get 20k crowds with big away teams.
Are Reading hugely bigger than Oxford?

I am not sure I have heard anybody suggesting that we would fill a 20k stadium week after week.
Readings capacity is 24,000.
Their average in the Championship is normally around 17k, with crowds as low as 11k but they do get 20k crowds with big away teams.
Are Reading hugely bigger than Oxford?

No and nor do they have the potential to go global like we do. If we did a reading and made the premiership you watch are attendances and people wearing shirts round the city increase hugely more than theirs. Everyone has heard of Oxford where ever you come from. Can't say the same for that slum in Berkshire. Sponsorship deals will be huge, Oxford uni will certainly be joining the band wagon if this were to ever happen. 25k might not be big enough with all the tourist fans ?

No and nor do they have the potential to go global like we do. If we did a reading and made the premiership you watch are attendances and people wearing shirts round the city increase hugely more than theirs. Everyone has heard of Oxford where ever you come from. Can't say the same for that slum in Berkshire. Sponsorship deals will be huge, Oxford uni will certainly be joining the band wagon if this were to ever happen. 25k might not be big enough with all the tourist fans ?

Sadly not everyone has heard of the football team or would even know what League they are in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom