Potential New Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yes definitely, and presumably what the club are trying to do is to resolve the Stadium issue before the licence expires.
And if this doesnt happen we are stuck for a further 25 years, unless Kassam let's us get out and there is still the option of a new site.

I pray that we get this sorted and move on.
We must try all avenues to avoid another 25 years of drain and decay and be wary of falling into an equally vicious scenario that leaves us in a similar position.

We must try all avenues to avoid another 25 years of drain and decay and be wary of falling into an equally vicious scenario that leaves us in a similar position.
I couldnt have put it better. ?

We must try all avenues to avoid another 25 years of drain and decay and be wary of falling into an equally vicious scenario that leaves us in a similar position.(quote)
Crikey yes we must get the stadium situation sorted out for the betterment of the club, you would like to think with all the experience behind the scenes they should be able to sort something, then there’s always the investors and the outlook of a possible new stadium but that might also end up as a drain and decay scenario.

Oh yes definitely, and presumably what the club are trying to do is to resolve the Stadium issue before the licence expires.
And if this doesnt happen we are stuck for a further 25 years, unless Kassam let's us get out and there is still the option of a new site.
There would also be the perception for Kassam that his stadium is lying empoty and growing weeds/falling apart; we all know that perception is a big thing for Fizza and family.

Plus, his asset value will decrease if it's deteriorates, so if he can get planning permission to build houses, he'd be happy to get the club out before the local plan changes.

And why oh why would we want to do that?????
Well if there is no chance of a new ground then what on earth would be the alternative?
The comment was in response that we would ground share. Look what is happening to Coventry ground sharing.

As the guardian of the club I am sure he would be delighted to do that. Or (once we were building a new stadium and were committed) he might feel he has us and more specifically the investors over a barrel and try to get some sort of compensation for the lost 24 years of earnings if we left. But he'd never do that. Would he?
I don't trust the man to do right by the club if he can possibly avoid it. A clean break in 5/6 years time is the easiest (we can just walk away) but could a new stadium be approved and build in that timescale?

In a word No.
Now, unless our board have secretly purchased a site and are several steps ahead then we are staying where we are.
The Oxford North/Two development isn`t big enough to fit it in.
As soon as they say "We want to build here" the objections and protracted appeals process will begin. Lets not forget the legal issues that surrounded Grenoble Road.
So if we are staying where we are the best bet is buying it! ?

If you built flats in the corners you can guarantee that within a month the new residents would be complaining about the noise on match days..

In a word No.
As soon as they say "We want to build here" the objections and protracted appeals process will begin. Lets not forget the legal issues that surrounded Grenoble Road.
I'm not sure that's true.
Planning seems to have changed considerably at the moment. So if it has the backing of the council and is linked to leisure facilities, then the appeals process may not be that protracted ( especially if not that close to current residential areas).
That's my understanding, but is anybody on here more involved with the current planning process?

seacourt tower site up for sale. room for a stadium and retail etc?
been a long time since i’ve been that end.
traffic would be horrendous but got A34, park + ride and station nearby.
proper location near the city centre instead of stuck in the middle of nowhere

I'm not sure that's true.
Planning seems to have changed considerably at the moment. So if it has the backing of the council and is linked to leisure facilities, then the appeals process may not be that protracted ( especially if not that close to current residential areas).
That's my understanding, but is anybody on here more involved with the current planning process?

Spurs had a hefty delay by having to prove the additional facilities were of benefit to the community and not just them. As far as I am aware if the site is already a ground (Spurs et al) or a brownfield site the planning would be "softer". Sadly we are looking at potential green sites associated with other developments, much like where we are now.

And what a site that would be!??????
Traffic around it may well be an issue though. Local residents opposition would also be stiff.

Given that they're looking at getting £65 Million for it I'd guess an absolute non-starter.

In a word No.
Now, unless our board have secretly purchased a site and are several steps ahead then we are staying where we are.
The Oxford North/Two development isn`t big enough to fit it in.
So if we are staying where we are the best bet is buying it! ?

In a word YES.

I get depressed reading some of the negativity on here regarding this issue. I usually enjoy your posts and find them well thought out Essexyellows, but I have to strongly disagree with you on this one. I think some people have got so used to the failures and mediocrity that we've faced over the last twenty odd years that they've had the positivity knocked out of them.

I think many of you are doing the current board and their advisors a disservice to assume that they have not taken all of these things into consideration. Do people really think that we would be at this stage without an attainable site being identified and the various local authorities and councillors being sounded out about the potential planning issues already? The time scale for stadium design would be 12 months and planning a similar amount of time. The two could dovetail to some extent, but lets be cautious and allow 24 months for those two things to be complete. That's assuming some of the design work hasn't already been done of course! Build time would be 18 to 24 months, so a total of 4 years, probably less, so it's eminently doable within the timescale. We would not be building something of the scale and complexity of Tottenham's new stadium, nor would it be in the middle of a heavily congested part of London, so that is not a valid comparison.

All allegedly of course.......................

OK so assuming there is a new stadium in the pipeline.
Obviously we as fans want as much of the revenues going into the club as possible.
Whereas the owners presumably want some sort of return on their investment.
Any idea what they might be thinking?
A Kassam like development where they keep the profitable bits and leave the club with little apart from match day revenue and football income?
or for instance anything going on within the stadium the club keeps, so for instance bar, catering, "club house", exec box, hospitality?
or say there are other leisure facilities or hotels and conferences or room hire or function rooms?
or if they manage to get some sort of flats in as well? would we be fine if they keep that bit of land and the gains on the flat developments? Or if they are able to do some sort of deal with Kassam to leave, they get some of that ?
or perhaps a Manchester United type situation where the club gets all the revenue, but the owners get to charge interest and receive dividends?

[EDIT]
and of course the build all has to be funded somehow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom