Potential New Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t argue with any of the points being made about being patient but I’d assume that the sooner our owners see a return on their investment the better. A 5/6 year plan to have a stadium in place and then a realistic tilt at the championship would require a huge amount of patience in their part.

One thing I’d like to pick up on from the Oxvox update was the question of debt on the club and who’s liable. One of the criteria (unconfirmed at the moment?) was that the club has to reach the premiership by 2025 before anything can be reclaimed. If true it does give an insight into the level of their ambitions. We could be in for an interesting few years, for the right reasons this time! ?

I don’t want this to sound like a dig but after Tiger saying that we were close to some sort of exciting announcement on the RO 5 minute forum, the latest Oxvox update put a little bit of a dampener on it. It said something a long the lines of ‘work continues to identify potential sites and also on solutions to the issues at the Kassam’ basically exactly the same message we’ve been hearing for the last 12 months, and certainly not close to any announcement. I just wonder what actual progress is being made and hope that the club and Oxvox are just both being guarded on what’s really going on behind the scenes.
I think Tiger was referring to the training ground rather than the stadium when making that comment!

There ya go Tiger! Lots of 'brown' fields here....and is that a stadium centre left? ? Could even name it the Martin-Baker stadium....

I think many U's supporters (of/over a certain age) see OUFC as a mid table Championship ( old Division 2) side.... I certainly do. Yes, weve not graced the 2nd tier for a while now, nonetheless, get back , stabilise in the first season, and then stay there isnt beyond any realm of possibility and likelihood IMO

owning our home ground would help of course

Sarge, come on! you know we will have to have the occasional sejourn to the Premier league.

I don’t want this to sound like a dig but after Tiger saying that we were close to some sort of exciting announcement on the RO 5 minute forum, the latest Oxvox update put a little bit of a dampener on it. It said something a long the lines of ‘work continues to identify potential sites and also on solutions to the issues at the Kassam’ basically exactly the same message we’ve been hearing for the last 12 months, and certainly not close to any announcement. I just wonder what actual progress is being made and hope that the club and Oxvox are just both being guarded on what’s really going on behind the scenes.

If I was a betting man that would be a cert.

I wonder what the locals would say if the new stadium is built at South Park? It's only a stones throw from where the Manor was ???

There ya go Tiger! Lots of 'brown' fields here....and is that a stadium centre left? ? Could even name it the Martin-Baker stadium....
Hate to rain on anyone’s parade but SODC would not want a football ground there and you can see the opposition to the house build that they wanted there.
You can also imagine what the B480 would be like on a match day.

we should look at Brighton if we are to build a new stadium,well designed and hardly any parking using park and ride etc
Brighton is a long way to travel for home games? ... parking fees even more prohibitive than Oxford..... although they do operate ' one fee' for any stop in a particular zone on their buses , similar to in London ;)

seriously though the Brighton set up aint too bad in terms of stadium n accessibility etc

Brighton is a long way to travel for home games? ... parking fees even more prohibitive than Oxford..... although they do operate ' one fee' for any stop in a particular zone on their buses , similar to in London ;)

seriously though the Brighton set up aint too bad in terms of stadium n accessibility etc
But I would still like to see parking as with any town on Saturdays park and rides get full quite early on

Hate to rain on anyone’s parade but SODC would not want a football ground there and you can see the opposition to the house build that they wanted there.
You can also imagine what the B480 would be like on a match day.
Agree. The important change in recent months at SODC has been their sudden enthusiasm for developing housing south of Grenoble road. If that does go ahead it would surely impact Kassam's strategy for the stadium land. Any development between Grenoble rd and sandford would happen over many years at large scale and would likely be done in collaboration with the city council re. meeting housing obligations under the new local plan. In other words kassam is suddenly in a *much* weaker position. Until late last year he would have assumed his patch was the only big future development option on the table given SODC's previous refusal to even consider the alternative. In recent history Kassam's lawyers have regularly pestered OCC about definitions on what constitutes 'affordable housing' etc. and we can be pretty sure his long term plan was to make squillions developing for housing. Now his position is weaker I'd imagine OCC aren't in any mood to cut him any favours given past behaviour. My guess is that our billionaires will do a deal with kassam pretty soon for the existing stadium site, focus on football for a few months then suddenly start making announcements about 'strategic partnerships' with the local authority to develop the shops, ammenities and leisure facilities that a housing development of of 1800+ houses require. Wouldn't surprise me if some of the other sites discussed on here are being earmarked for a new training facility - none seem feasible for a stadium

Last edited:
I do believe that above all other possible locations that Water Eaton would be the perfect location. Right by Oxford Parkway and the Park and Ride. There would be hardly any traffic issues and it is right on the A34 for easy access to the rest of the county. We just need the council to be more lenient and see the potential for the land there. Hopefully with the rising housing demand Water Eaton may be reconsidered. The land would just be displaced by that freed up by the Kassam Stadium, so there is no net loss of housing space.

There is no market for a large outdoor music venue in Oxford. If there were then stadiums like the Madjeski and the Ricoh would be at it already.

Disagree - Elton John was a huge success a while ago at the Kassam

I do believe that above all other possible locations that Water Eaton would be the perfect location. Right by Oxford Parkway and the Park and Ride. There would be hardly any traffic issues and it is right on the A34 for easy access to the rest of the county. We just need the council to be more lenient and see the potential for the land there. Hopefully with the rising housing demand Water Eaton may be reconsidered. The land would just be displaced by that freed up by the Kassam Stadium, so there is no net loss of housing space.
Leave it with me, I know one of the farmers and reckon I can get the land on the cheap!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom