Potential New Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
I told you all years ago. The Bicester Village stadium! Now, after Covid the empty shops can be demolished with a new 20k seat stadium built on site. There is plenty of parking and good road access. There are two dedicated rail stations and the newly formed Bicester Aerodrome Company will welcome people flying in...

Trust me!

I told you all years ago. The Bicester Village stadium! Now, after Covid the empty shops can be demolished with a new 20k seat stadium built on site. There is plenty of parking and good road access. There are two dedicated rail stations and the newly formed Bicester Aerodrome Company will welcome people flying in...

Trust me!
We've also got a spoons and a Nando's as well, what more could a football fan wish for ? Oh, and for the posher fans, a Wimpey.

Trust me!

The Mini Plant site will be available by then.

Oxpens, the dream.

Imagine the potential commercial gain from having a stadium within a stones throw of a brand new shopping complex.
Would go hand in hand as the tourists and shoppers arriving at the station would be directed to the ground via advertising boards and road signs, raising the club profile.
Many football fans would end up in pubs or going shopping before and after matches.
A city centre stadium with plenty of local businesses that would thrive off of it on match days.
Easy rail links for people travelling via the new East-West Mainline, Charlbury direction, Didcot and more.
We wouldn't even need to come up with a creative name for the ground, "The Oxpen Stadium", or even better just "The Oxpen/Ox Pen" would be incredible and very original, unlike the classic (insert name here) Road/Park.

Negatives? Cost obviously, developing Oxpens would likely be significantly more expensive due to the land value. In addition it would be situated on a floodplain meaning the foundations would need to be raised to avoid flooding. Not to mention OCC being a total bitch for allowing anything positive to ever happen.

The final and obvious draw back would be traffic as the Botley road and other surrounding roads are already car parks on Saturdays. Solution? Park and ride and a leisurely walk in, all while passing more shops and pubs to entice the average Joe to spending their money in their elevated spirits.

All pie in the sky though, one can only dream.
Have you seen "they", whoever they are, are planning a six million pound bridge across the river by the ice rink. This is for a footbridge / cycle bridge.

Seriously, six million?

It does irritate that AFC can get this far towards a new stadium even before we have even a sniff of land for a potential ground. Some point soon those who have the financial say so really need to clarify what is happening.
There is land available, granted, not cheap but, without movement towards acquiring that land and getting the planning permission sorted, we will run out of time as guests of FK.

It does irritate that AFC can get this far towards a new stadium even before we have even a sniff of land for a potential ground. Some point soon those who have the financial say so really need to clarify what is happening.
There is land available, granted, not cheap but, without movement towards acquiring that land and getting the planning permission sorted, we will run out of time as guests of FK.

to be fair Niall Mc' has said stadium information will be given at the end of the (this?) season, which, atm, has no end date :rolleyes:

to be fair Niall Mc' has said stadium information will be given at the end of the (this?) season, which, atm, has no end date :rolleyes:
Do you remember the days when NMcW was saying the end of the season and I was saying the end of the year and we had pages of arguments about who was telling the truth? Bizarrely, the way things are going we may both be right!!!

b2667b5d60f958ae28db4650483a7006.jpg

Restrictions on new buildings added to Oxford’s skyline are being lifted/relaxed.
This was a reason (amongst others) that Marston & Ice rink sites were not viable.
Potentially another hurdle overcome.

Watching the NMcW interview on ifollow I get the impression we’re very close to some exciting news on this front. He talks of very supportive local councils and very supportive investors. The whole interview impressed me in fact. Those two interviews (also the one with Robinson) have made me feel a lot more optimistic and excited about the future of our club.

Restrictions on new buildings added to Oxford’s skyline are being lifted/relaxed.
This was a reason (amongst others) that Marston & Ice rink sites were not viable.
Can’t ever see it being the ice rink area, and where about in Marston are you thinking?

Can’t ever see it being the ice rink area, and where about in Marston are you thinking?
Best guide to potential sites is within the OCC Oxford Local Plan 2016-2036
If you then download the map from that document (sorry it's within the plan as a downloadable pdf.) Policies map pdf.
This highlights all the areas under consideration for development. Exactly what sort of development will be decided however, there are some areas which would be ideal in terms of transport links (including prospective rail links) for a future stadium within a community of housing,shops etc.

Agree with you on the ice rink idea, simply not practical.

Best guide to potential sites is within the OCC Oxford Local Plan 2016-2036
If you then download the map from that document (sorry it's within the plan as a downloadable pdf.) Policies map pdf.
This highlights all the areas under consideration for development. Exactly what sort of development will be decided however, there are some areas which would be ideal in terms of transport links (including prospective rail links) for a future stadium within a community of housing,shops etc.

Agree with you on the ice rink idea, simply not practical.

Off topic but I'm intrigued by the view cones. None over Botley at all but one protecting that delightful view over Redbridge Hollow. That Ellsfield one I think would prevent development of Court Place Farm if it ever was an option. I would love to have a stadium in the center of Oxford but I hope we don't make compromises to achieve that dream when I will travel wherever to see the boys.

That said I would love the club to do something progressive to discourage fans arriving by car.

Lets hope not. The amount of businesses linked to the manufacturer in Oxford Is massive and would be devastating. Not to mention the number of families that have workers there.
Oxford United would be impacted big time.
Apart from the university and the river crossing, the Mini plant is basically why Oxford is here

Neither of those sites are in the current thinking.

Neither of those sites are in the current thinking.
Wallop you seem to know a little bit on whats going on. Without giving too much away, are you still seeing significant progress with the stadium issue?

There is huge work needed to happen before any announcements can be made. Identifying possible locations, determining if they are for sale/lease, and at what cost, sounding out authorities as to the likelihood that they would get planning permission, designs, supplementary businesses (hotel, retail, leisure etc), travel links etc.

Work has been ongoing in many of these areas and whilst covid will have slowed some things down, others have continued in the background.

Every time this has been mentioned, there are a few who demand locations, costs, time frames etc, and no one will give that information until things have been rubber stamped. But the idea that no announcement = no work is simply not true.

NMcW gave a timeframe of the end of the season for news, I gave the end of the year. I still have confidence that my timeframe will prove to be accurate, and that without covid NMcW wouldn't have been far away either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom