Potential New Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do like the idea of an 'expandable' stadium, like the late Nene Park, where the single decker stands had been built so that an upper section could be added if ever required. That would mean the ground isn't two thirds empty in L1 (8,000 in a 20,000 seater) and is expandable (relatively easily and cheaply) in the Championship.

Or, given that we’re now known for only having three sides, build 3 and be ready to build a fourth ?

I do like the idea of an 'expandable' stadium, like the late Nene Park, where the single decker stands had been built so that an upper section could be added if ever required. That would mean the ground isn't two thirds empty in L1 (8,000 in a 20,000 seater) and is expandable (relatively easily and cheaply) in the Championship.
An expandable stadium... That's what we've got now ? plenty of scope to add to it.

Fourth stand, make it like this maybe narrower but taller or curved...... thats 10,000 in one hit.
1565864671939.png

Fill in the corners, another 3,000 or so.

At 25k with no bother...

I went to Spurs new ground last weekend. Absolutely brilliant, best big stadium I've ever been to. They have nailed it with the atmosphere (stands close to the pitch, massive single tier end to provide the noise), and also with the bar and food facilities. I'd take a 15K version of that. I don't think it should be any bigger, it's better all round if the ground can be relatively full for most games.

No, got to look forwards. We've filled the current ground in Conference games, if we make the Championship and have teams like Birmingham and Leeds bringing 3000 away fans, suddenly 15000 is looking a touch small.

Got to look forwards but also be realistic. We're not a championship club. I doubt if we get there we'll spend more than a year there. So you're building a 20k seater for 1 season? Then we drop back down and get attendances of 6k and the stadium looks too big for us. Keep it smaller, keep it tighter. Would rather have a full stadium than a half empty one. If we become an established championship club, then we can look at stadium expansions.

Sort of like...building only three sides so that the fourth can be added quickly and cheaply as we go on our journey up the leagues?

IGMC

Got to look forwards but also be realistic. We're not a championship club. I doubt if we get there we'll spend more than a year there. So you're building a 20k seater for 1 season? Then we drop back down and get attendances of 6k and the stadium looks too big for us. Keep it smaller, keep it tighter. Would rather have a full stadium than a half empty one. If we become an established championship club, then we can look at stadium expansions.
Why couldn't we be a Championship club?
Brentford weren't a few years ago. What about Bournemouth?
Brighton would not be a Prdmiership club without ambition and a new ground big enough.

Why couldn't we be a Championship club?
Brentford weren't a few years ago. What about Bournemouth?
Brighton would not be a Prdmiership club without ambition and a new ground big enough.
I think many U's supporters (of/over a certain age) see OUFC as a mid table Championship ( old Division 2) side.... I certainly do. Yes, weve not graced the 2nd tier for a while now, nonetheless, get back , stabilise in the first season, and then stay there isnt beyond any realm of possibility and likelihood IMO

owning our home ground would help of course

I would just take some clarity on their plans around the stadium!
Heard a lot of guff without much substance..

Business decisions should really be based on reality rather than feelings, though.
And the reality is that Oxford lacks a fit and proper venue for larger semi outdoor events. A large stadium 20/25,000 with modern facilities and break out spaces within easy reach of the city would be very attractive. OCC would want to be involved as a community project. The right developer would understand that you cannot just build a football ground in the middle of an urban conurbation anymore, and would want to involve the local authority from the outset to grease the planning and land release requirements.

Oh. what a surprise! Horst Geike, Erik Thohir and Zaki Nuseibah are all experienced and have a proven history. Then add in Ian Hudspeth (Oxford United in the community trustee) who of course is leader of Oxon CC and it can be seen that the club has assembled quite a team to get the job done.
Zaki Nuseibah has also been appointed as a trustee to Oxford Utd in the community so will meet up with many in the community who can provide ideas to further increase the attraction of a new stadium. (and can sell the idea back to them)

I have every faith in the board, at the very least, making an excellent pitch (no pun intended) to the local authorities.

And the reality is that Oxford lacks a fit and proper venue for larger semi outdoor events. A large stadium 20/25,000 with modern facilities and break out spaces within easy reach of the city would be very attractive. OCC would want to be involved as a community project. The right developer would understand that you cannot just build a football ground in the middle of an urban conurbation anymore, and would want to involve the local authority from the outset to grease the planning and land release requirements.

Oh. what a surprise! Horst Geike, Erik Thohir and Zaki Nuseibah are all experienced and have a proven history. Then add in Ian Hudspeth (Oxford United in the community trustee) who of course is leader of Oxon CC and it can be seen that the club has assembled quite a team to get the job done.
Zaki Nuseibah has also been appointed as a trustee to Oxford Utd in the community so will meet up with many in the community who can provide ideas to further increase the attraction of a new stadium. (and can sell the idea back to them)

I have every faith in the board, at the very least, making an excellent pitch (no pun intended) to the local authorities.
good point re outdoor events. surprised FK hasn't cashed in on this if there's a market for it

good point re outdoor events. surprised FK hasn't cashed in on this if there's a market for it
He tried it once with an Elton John concert. Never again. Don't know the reasons why but I can imagine there was not much to sell the venue to a promoter!

He tried it once with an Elton John concert. Never again. Don't know the reasons why but I can imagine there was not much to sell the venue to a promoter!
can vaguely remember that, but surprised nothing else had been planned over the years.
with all the students and Oxford being good for music, the stadium could've filled a gap in the market..
open end to build a stage for bands and relatively close to town but for whatever reason that option wasn't explored..
maybe FK was/is content with just us using the wind tunnel and raking in the cash

overpriced the 'hire' fee and wanted the franchises, advertising, etc, etc at a guess ? ... very likely he priced himself out of the market with one event ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom