Potential New Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that you’re saying what you’d need to do to make it alright only proves that it currently isn’t great - otherwise you wouldn’t need to do such things. It needs a fourth stand, all four corners then need filling in (the gaping corners are arguably more of an issue than an open end, in a weird way), and that’s just the tip of the iceberg. The inside of the stadium is soulless and unfinished, and the public facilities are damn near hazardous at their worst. Considering the bloke who owns it nicked our old stadium off us, and then spent less than he sold that for on supposedly ‘finishing’ this one, which he then maintained ownership of even before the club was sold in 2006, it’s pretty shocking. For a stadium some 18 years old it’s in bad nick, was never completed and is also blocked in by all of his other businesses for good measure.

I don’t agree that people blindly and ferociously trying to attack and P**s Firoz Kassam off is remotely helpful to the club, because rightly or wrongly he has us in a vice and that means spitting at him constantly is basically the dumbest thing you can do while you’re in there, but I’m not going to thank him for a new pitch (if that’s even true) when we pay a million pounds a year to play there. Especially when he never thought enough of us to finish or maintain the very stadium he effectively stole from us in the first place. And trust me, the amount of corners he cut and the amount of things that don’t work behind the scenes is pretty significant. I would know, it used to be my office.

It is absolutely not a stadium that I think anyone could describe as ‘not so bad’ in its current form.
Absolutely agree Ryan.
I am totally gobsmacked when the occasional person comes on here claiming that the club has a good deal and will get no better.
There will never be a better time to try and get a new fit for purpose stadium and the owners at least know what they are doing in this regard

On another thread I read the lease is up in five years.
If we were to build a new stadium that would take at least two years. Probably more than a year to get planning permission.
The concern must be how much the terms of the new lease would be IF we stay. If we are paying £1million a year to stay there, what happens if it goes up by 50% or 100%?
Five years down the line it is going to need more than cosmetic improvement. It was standing idle for many years so how much corrosion to the metal structure is anybody’s guess.
On the other hand Kassam might now be concerned that with the lease running down he could be stuck with an unused stadium if Tiger suddenly comes up with a good plan to move away from the Kassam.
Headington definitely had a soul and a heart, which the Kassam has never had. There’s not been the number of good days at the Kassam, Swansea, probably the best.
The players coming in this season have given me real optimism and with Matty Taylor about to sign we have brought in three strikers that all supporters I think will be happy with.
I believe we have a real opportunity to make the play offs this season, and also enjoy our finest season for a long time.
COYY

A few years ago we could have been looking at a new build project taking years to come to fruition, but the planning world has changed, land that was off limits is now far more accessible and local authorities have a greater understanding of the need to support local development.

In addition, we have a team involved who are experts at these kind of projects and have the finances needed to make it happen. We are not going to be in a situation like with the Kassam where builders are going off site for months at a time or shortcuts made.

My understanding is that we are far closer to being able to announce something than many people realise, and that once we do then things will happen very quickly. I will go as far to say that I would put a huge amount of money on the fact that we will be in our new home long before we have to worry about the lease running out.

There is a much mentioned price on the ground around the £13-£15 million mark.
Maybe our rich kids have said to FK will you take £22 million for it? And he`s weighed up the options and decided to bale.
Fourth stand footings are in place already, build that. Four apartment blocks in each corner, jobs sorted.

And they still make a packet out of it.................... ?

It would nice to have our own ground rather than one where the ghost of Kassam haunts us.
Water Eaton would be nice.
I wonder what Kassam would do with the ground if we upped and left. I know there’s a housing shortage several blocks of flats on the edge of Blackbird Leys. Hmm

Absolutely agree Ryan.
I am totally gobsmacked when the occasional person comes on here claiming that the club has a good deal and will get no better.
There will never be a better time to try and get a new fit for purpose stadium and the owners at least know what they are doing in this regard

We need this fit for purpose stadium to be ready to move into when the lease is up, because unless we ground share ( which I personally dont want ) we would have to negotiate a new lease with Kassam and he will try and make as much money out of us as he could, even though he wants to flog the land to make a fortune he could tie us up to a minimum lease odnsay 5 years when we would really need no more than one season as a potential fit for purpose ground is only 3-6 months away from completion.

Knowing what FK is like it’s the sort of devious tactic he would use.

It would nice to have our own ground rather than one where the ghost of Kassam haunts us.
Water Eaton would be nice.
I wonder what Kassam would do with the ground if we upped and left. I know there’s a housing shortage several blocks of flats on the edge of Blackbird Leys. Hmm
I thought Water Eaton has been ruled out now due to the northern gateway.

I don’t think anything has finally been ruled out. Not sure of any other sites

Coventry were initially told they needed to stay within six miles of the city centre when they were looking for an alternative home for this season. I’m unsure whether that means six miles from the centre point in terms of a pin drop or whether it’s six miles from the edge of some sort of city centre zonal boundary, but I’d be interested to see what such an area looks like from the air. Not that the EFL seem to understand or pay attention to their own rules anymore, of course.

It's all about price isn't it as far as current ground (and Kassam) is concerned. (Contrary to many on here I feel that the current stadium has the potential to be a tremendous ground.)

The club owners are currently looking at their risk/return matrices no doubt. And so will Kassam especially with the clock running down on the lease.

I don't pretend to have my ear close to the ground on this but I keep on thinking Bicester Village tie up.

Seems to make some sense.

COYY - still buzzing from Saturday.

Coventry were initially told they needed to stay within six miles of the city centre when they were looking for an alternative home for this season. I’m unsure whether that means six miles from the centre point in terms of a pin drop or whether it’s six miles from the edge of some sort of city centre zonal boundary, but I’d be interested to see what such an area looks like from the air. Not that the EFL seem to understand or pay attention to their own rules anymore, of course.

It's all about price isn't it as far as current ground (and Kassam) is concerned. (Contrary to many on here I feel that the current stadium has the potential to be a tremendous ground.)

The club owners are currently looking at their risk/return matrices no doubt. And so will Kassam especially with the clock running down on the lease.

I don't pretend to have my ear close to the ground on this but I keep on thinking Bicester Village tie up.

Seems to make some sense.

COYY - still buzzing from Saturday.

The answer to Bicester Village lies in @RyanioBirdio 's post. But it wouldn't happen anyway, that land is not going to host a stadium.

The answer to Bicester Village lies in @RyanioBirdio 's post. But it wouldn't happen anyway, that land is not going to host a stadium.

Bicester Village is a global brand (bizarrely enough) in it's own right and wouldn't want thousands of rowdy football fans disrupting their chic shopping experience every other week.

If we were looking at being around Bicester I would imagine that we would be looking at land much nearer the M40 junction and linked to the Bicester Village train line. Close enough to attract tourists from both Oxford and Bicester Village but far enough away to keep both separate entities.

The 6 mile radius rule is something that I would think could be easily challenged. Road and rail links means that Bicester is 20 minutes from Oxford and I would guess that this would be approved.

Having said all of this, I still believe that any new build would be in or around the city so probably all entirely irrelevant!

Bicester Village is a global brand (bizarrely enough) in it's own right and wouldn't want thousands of rowdy football fans disrupting their chic shopping experience every other week.

If we were looking at being around Bicester I would imagine that we would be looking at land much nearer the M40 junction and linked to the Bicester Village train line. Close enough to attract tourists from both Oxford and Bicester Village but far enough away to keep both separate entities.

The 6 mile radius rule is something that I would think could be easily challenged. Road and rail links means that Bicester is 20 minutes from Oxford and I would guess that this would be approved.

Having said all of this, I still believe that any new build would be in or around the city so probably all entirely irrelevant!

The 6 miles can be challenged as Coventry/SISU have done that already by being allowed to play at Brum.

Presumably though if "we are far closer to being able to announce something than many people realise" and "we will be in our new home long before we have to worry about the lease running out" (your words) then the decision has been made, the site identified (or a price agreed for the current one), costings worked out and the powers that be have already given an informal (if not binding) approval to the plans. Because if those things haven't been done then they won't be announcing anything concrete any time soon, unless of course we are staying where we are.

I reckon the announcement will be a more favourable deal to allow us stay at the Kassam. A bigger percentage of the concessions etc

Don't normally add much to the forum but I've heard a rumour that we are looking at stratfield break which is in a great location not far from the new train station.

Don't normally add much to the forum but I've heard a rumour that we are looking at stratfield break which is in a great location not far from the new train station.

Yep that rumour is doing the rounds, have heard that from a couple of different people. Like you said that is a decent location, and I would have thought there is something that can be done with additional car parking (if needed) at the train station.

Whenever I drive past there I always wonder about the potential to build a stadium, there appears to be quite a bit of recreational land already in use, with several pitches. As you say it is close to Oxford Parkway and good links to A34 & M40. I assume like Water Eaton (just across the road) that it comes under Cherwell District?

Another plot of land, again not too far away is between Pear tree roundabout & Wolvercote Road Roundabout behind the BMW garage. From memory this has been earmarked for development.

I also wonder If the Rugby pitches/land at North Hinksey? have ever been considered?

For the record I am definitely not ITK, just thinking out loud!

On a separate point I note that Oxford United in the Community have appointed Zaki Nuseibeh as a Trustee of the charity.
He joins a board of Trustees that includes the Leader of Oxfordshire County Council Ian Hudspeth as Trustee.

No idea if Hudspeth has any particular influence in these matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom