Potential New Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kassam will not sell to OUFC. He doesn't have to sell. He has no need to sell. He is not interested in selling. He has a very lucrative arrangement in place, in law.

He has until the lease runs out, once it does ,unless both Oxford United and Oxford city council agree to remove the condition on the stadium then it is worthless. He could sell it, but to who? , no housebuilder will buy that land knowing its to be used as leisure only.

Go back to when Niall was asked last year about the 3000 houses being built across the road wether it's changed the stance of the board about staying at the kassam, his reply wasn't no. Somethings telling me that a deal can be done on the Kassam.

One small fly in the ointment, OUFC have to leave in order to end the licence arrangement. If we leave, we have nowhere to play.

If it come to it, we would ground share with mk, Wycombe etc. Kassam can not knock down that stadium even if we decide we won't play there. It will take years for him to get planning on that site unless we have a new stadium within Oxford's boundary.

Make it student housing (create a route for Brookes/Uni buses etc), free up property elsewhere for families etc.
It’s student housing that will be the issue but does Kassam own the land it’s on, as nearly all of Oxford land it’s college owned

If it come to it, we would ground share with mk, Wycombe etc. Kassam can not knock down that stadium even if we decide we won't play there. It will take years for him to get planning on that site unless we have a new stadium within Oxford's boundary.
And Kidlington isn’t in Oxford’s boundary

And Kidlington isn’t in Oxford’s boundary

Minchery farm or Greater Leys wasn't either before it was developed. Everyone knows kidlington is just as much as a suburb of Oxford as is Botley, its just they lie in another district councils area.

Minchery farm or Greater Leys wasn't either before it was developed. Everyone knows kidlington is just as much as a suburb of Oxford as is Botley, its just they lie in another district councils area.
But it’s Cherwell district and if they don’t want it they won’t have it. You have to remember by here has to be a consultation if the residents of Kidlington, Water Eaton and Gosford and outlying villages want the stadium no problem if they as I suspect don’t want a stadium the councillors for that area will have to weigh up the pros and cons, vote for the stadium against the wishes of the electorate in that area and risk being not elected at the next election or vote as the consultation recommends.

I should also add that I genuinely haven't got an issue with Oxvox or what they are sharing. Yes, I'd like to hear more from them, but respect the position that they are in and the confidentialities they alluded to.

I won't be saying much more on the matter as it inevitably ends up with a speculation merry-go-round. But I remain confident that we will see an outcome that we all want.
And what exactly informs such confidence?

giphy.gif

But it’s Cherwell district and if they don’t want it they won’t have it. You have to remember by here has to be a consultation if the residents of Kidlington, Water Eaton and Gosford and outlying villages want the stadium no problem if they as I suspect don’t want a stadium the councillors for that area will have to weigh up the pros and cons, vote for the stadium against the wishes of the electorate in that area and risk being not elected at the next election or vote as the consultation recommends.

This is why I can see the board buying the kassam and doing a redevelopment. Its going to take years to do a land deal (if at all possible) and while this pandemic has shown there isn't the same money to be made with leisure and retail anymore and it's unlikely they will get permission to just build houses around the new stadium on land like Stratfield Brake.

This is why I can see the board buying the kassam and doing a redevelopment. Its going to take years to do a land deal (if at all possible) and while this pandemic has shown there isn't the same money to be made with leisure and retail anymore and it's unlikely they will get permission to just build houses around the new stadium on land like Stratfield Brake.
Valid points, but we live in a world where money talks, and big brown envelopes, and mutual backscratching gets things done.

Nobody in these towns and villages all over the county wants all these new builds that are popping up all over the place, and make their feelings known to their councils, via petitions and protests, but it still happens anyway, because at the end of the day, everyone has a price.

Councils promised to protect the green belt areas from redevelopment, but now areas of the green belt are being redeveloped and built on, why? 💰💰💰

There are people who don't want new builds going up on the land opposite the Kassam, but we all know how that will end. Why? 💰💰💰

There were probably a lot of people who opposed the Kassam, and surrounding development ever going ahead, but it did. Why? 💰💰💰

I suspect if a consortium as wealthy as the one that currently owns our club, wants a new stadium, it'll just be a case of "dealing" with the appropriate people in charge of the decision making, and going through the backscratching logistics moving forwards, before it's inevitably accepted, and signed off.

A minor issue, such as local residents opposition, has never stopped major developments in the past, weather it's stadiums, shopping centres, or housing estates, and it ain't gonna change, in fact, it's only gonna get worse, because what the big dogs want, the big dogs get. Why? 💰💰💰

But for once, instead of a major development of houses going up, and just boosting the bank balance of some greedy big wig, who's probably never even stepped foot in our county before, if it goes ahead, this would provide job opportunities, whilst also being a major boost for the future of our club, so I'm all for it!

Wherever it ends up, if it's gonna happen, it's inevitable that we're gonna have to tickle a few tummies, I just hope we don't stoop too low in the process...

OK, more than 2,500 posts and no one really seems to know anything, though some claim to and may do so. Time to close the thread till there is some actual info?

OK, more than 2,500 posts and no one really seems to know anything, though some claim to and may do so. Time to close the thread till there is some actual info?
Absolutely not!

Over 170,000 reads, and it's still getting about 30 extra posts a day, tells me that people want to discuss, and read about, this very important issue facing our club.

With the talk of money, brown envelopes, rich folk and back scratching I thought it had morphed into a politics thread.... :ROFLMAO:

That occurs to me too. But in that case why doesn't Kassam do that?
I know it's annoying for people who are more ITK.

Can the businesses who currently lease space in the Ozone afford to continue paying rent in the current climate?
Has the Park Club gone bust already?

Being in possession of a reasonable mind and using sound logic, means that throwing millions at Kassam, then millions more in renovations, building a 4th stand, installing proper and up to date communications technology with proper conference facilities, catering, upgrading all the toilets and other sanitary facilities, replacing the worn out seating and bringing the general health and safety requirements up to standard etc. etc. would not induce any right minded developer to even consider the prospect. Add in that the stadium would offer no further development prospects other than the remote possibility of some flats in the corners (and taking into account the pre-existing covenants on the stadium) and the thought of "buying" the stadium is too ridiculous to imagine.

That's all without even considering the fact that Kassam is never, ever going to sell his stadium to anyone from OUFC. He's made that perfectly clear from the outset.
OxVox are very well aware of the costs, it was they who put together a study into buying the stadium (ably assisted by Stewart Donald) That study made it clear that without a benefactor of some magnitude, that was a non starter. (that benefactor would need to be prepared to wave goodbye to his or her funds for ever)
What if the Stadium and site is demolished and then rebuilt? What would be the difference between that and building somewhere new?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom