Potential New Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, despite the level of expectation now being placed on an imminent announcement, we have been told categorically that no site has yet been chosen. As we reported in our last update the club continues the long and difficult process of identifying possibilities across Oxfordshire.
What I'm reading from this is that, granted, nothing has definitely been ruled in, both nothing has explicitly been ruled out either. I don't think it comes as a surprise that they're still identifying current sites, because 'identifying' is quite vague in this case.

Identify could mean 'we've found a patch of grass close to Oxford Parkway on Google Maps', or it could mean 'we've explored the viability of buying a plot of land and have discussed the price and basic infrastructure upgrades necessary with the relevant owners and authorities'. The club are playing their cards close to their chest, but I'm willing to bet that's because they're not releasing any information until all the jigsaw pieces are in place. Either that or the board and Niall have done absolutely nothing in two-three years. I won't believe that the latter is the case.

And if there are some things OxVox can't publicly say, then that surely means there is some progress being made behind the scenes.

That has confused me even more. Finalise a stadium by the end of the year can only mean buying or a better lease on the Kassam.
Let's be honest, Tiger's grasp of English hasn't always been perfect, hasn't it? You can finalise plans by the end of the year, which is what you can deduce from what most people ITK have been saying about the possibility of us staying at Grenoble Road.

Last edited:
I don't want to get into a battle, but I stand by everything I've posted on the subject and will leave it for others to judge for themselves.
I for one have no doubt to question what you've been told. You always tell it as it is/how you see it.

Let's be honest, Tiger's grasp of English hasn't always been perfect, hasn't it? You can finalise plans by the end of the year, which is what you can deduce from what most people ITK have been saying about the possibility of us staying at Grenoble Road.

You could say the longer this goes on without any leaks in the public domain that staying at the kassam will be the actual route we go. Let's not forget Tiger and co have been involved with the club for 3 whole years now, if there were to be a land deal to be done it would of been alot more broadcasted.

Now I was reading about Southends proposed new stadium a 21k bowl in an undeveloped area, £80 million to putchase land,build this and the required infrastructure ie roads, landscaping. 800 homes near the stadium will pay for the construction cost. Leisure facilities have been dropped because of costs.

That cost of build is staggering, maybe the kassam isn't too much of a bad prospect after all.

You could say the longer this goes on without any leaks in the public domain that staying at the kassam will be the actual route we go. Let's not forget Tiger and co have been involved with the club for 3 whole years now, if there were to be a land deal to be done it would of been alot more broadcasted.

Now I was reading about Southends proposed new stadium a 21k bowl in an undeveloped area, £80 million to putchase land,build this and the required infrastructure ie roads, landscaping. 800 homes near the stadium will pay for the construction cost. Leisure facilities have been dropped because of costs.

That cost of build is staggering, maybe the kassam isn't too much of a bad prospect after all.
If there's no deal to be done and renewing the lease on the Kassam is the inevitable outcome in your eyes, then why is Thohir trying to buy us?

If there's no deal to be done and renewing the lease on the Kassam is the inevitable outcome in your eyes, then why is Thohir trying to buy us?

I'm not saying renewing the lease will be the outcome, I got a feeling they may buy the kassam and finish it off. You may ask why would they do this as they won't make any money out of it? Reading last season lost 43 million due to lack of crowd, merchandise, catering, sponsorship deals. If we were to be promoted to the championship and didn't spend silly money on players we could make a huge profit. Not to mention the extra revenue they could make from non match day.

Everyone knows there is more money to be made on a new build and develop around but we could still be talking about this in 10 years like Southend. We need a stadium of our own sharpish others we are just a money pit what ever league we are in.

Precisely OX14. We will be buying the Kassam with a view to selling it in years to come if & when something more attractive comes along.

I wouldn't be amazed if we stayed at the Kassam. People talk a lot about associated leisure facilities being profitable, but is that true? The Kassam would be worth more without those shoddy barns around it. Out of town shopping, chain restaurants, mass-market cinemas, plasticky conference centres - none of those things are popular these days. Housing is where the money is - or alternatively the footprint of the Kassam is large enough to have associated business facilities that might be profitable if they were higher quality.

You are more ITK than Oxvox?
Being in possession of a reasonable mind and using sound logic, means that throwing millions at Kassam, then millions more in renovations, building a 4th stand, installing proper and up to date communications technology with proper conference facilities, catering, upgrading all the toilets and other sanitary facilities, replacing the worn out seating and bringing the general health and safety requirements up to standard etc. etc. would not induce any right minded developer to even consider the prospect. Add in that the stadium would offer no further development prospects other than the remote possibility of some flats in the corners (and taking into account the pre-existing covenants on the stadium) and the thought of "buying" the stadium is too ridiculous to imagine.

That's all without even considering the fact that Kassam is never, ever going to sell his stadium to anyone from OUFC. He's made that perfectly clear from the outset.
OxVox are very well aware of the costs, it was they who put together a study into buying the stadium (ably assisted by Stewart Donald) That study made it clear that without a benefactor of some magnitude, that was a non starter. (that benefactor would need to be prepared to wave goodbye to his or her funds for ever)

Being in possession of a reasonable mind and using sound logic, means that throwing millions at Kassam, then millions more in renovations, building a 4th stand, installing proper and up to date communications technology with proper conference facilities, catering, upgrading all the toilets and other sanitary facilities, replacing the worn out seating and bringing the general health and safety requirements up to standard etc. etc. would not induce any right minded developer to even consider the prospect. Add in that the stadium would offer no further development prospects other than the remote possibility of some flats in the corners (and taking into account the pre-existing covenants on the stadium) and the thought of "buying" the stadium is too ridiculous to imagine.

That's all without even considering the fact that Kassam is never, ever going to sell his stadium to anyone from OUFC. He's made that perfectly clear from the outset.
OxVox are very well aware of the costs, it was they who put together a study into buying the stadium (ably assisted by Stewart Donald) That study made it clear that without a benefactor of some magnitude, that was a non starter. (that benefactor would need to be prepared to wave goodbye to his or her funds for ever)
You're probably right, I really have no idea. But it still sounds easier than finding a new site, and I'm still not sure what the associated developments are meant to be , if not housing.

OxVox were asked to hold off on the efforts to advance the community led option ,why not just continue with the the hard work and time spent ,every option needs to be explored and this one could be the saving grace.

OxVox were asked to hold off on the efforts to advance the community led option ,why not just continue with the the hard work and time spent ,every option needs to be explored and this one could be the saving grace.
I can understand that, but they would be essentially working across purposes when both parties could be working together. Why should OxVox be working hard to secure the stadium as a community-owned asset if the club wants to move to a new venue the other side of the city?

I can understand that, but they would be essentially working across purposes when both parties could be working together. Why should OxVox be working hard to secure the stadium as a community-owned asset if the club wants to move to a new venue the other side of the city?
Just think the more likely option is we will still be at our current home not ITK ,whilst the owners/investors have told the committee a limited amount of information I just feel it i prudent not to rely on everything they say being gospel things can change and ownership as well .

What really boils my P**s on this subject is the endless repetition. I have lost track how many times I and countless others have explained why things are as they are. Why buying the Kassam is a non starter, why the political will is there to facilitate a new stadium, why developers do what they do, why the local authorities want houses built, why those same authorities want community led development, why the issue of green/brown belt land has been put aside, why there are existing local plans for how, where and what to develop.

It is a matter of time, that is all. The right package of land at the right price with the right considerations for a reasonable profit for the developers and without local planning issues.
OxVox cannot say anymore than they have without losing the confidence of the board. I appreciate that, I don't like it but that's because I'm gagging to know where and when the new stadium will come to fruition.

What really boils my P**s on this subject is the endless repetition. I have lost track how many times I and countless others have explained why things are as they are. Why buying the Kassam is a non starter, why the political will is there to facilitate a new stadium, why developers do what they do, why the local authorities want houses built, why those same authorities want community led development, why the issue of green/brown belt land has been put aside, why there are existing local plans for how, where and what to develop.

It is a matter of time, that is all. The right package of land at the right price with the right considerations for a reasonable profit for the developers and without local planning issues.
OxVox cannot say anymore than they have without losing the confidence of the board. I appreciate that, I don't like it but that's because I'm gagging to know where and when the new stadium will come to fruition.
I feel the same, this has been going on and on and on and on for too long now with nothing more than "we're making progress on it", "you'll find out more by X date" coming from the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom