Potential New Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't see its any harder adapting an existing site. The pitch is already there, turn it back to real grass. Build round the pitch with steep stands would easily get a 10 - 15k capacity. Land behind the east end could be turned in to a retail park with access slip road from the a40 west bound. There is even the land across from Marsh Lane where the showman park up when st giles fair is on. Plenty of potential there and both us and city could share the ground.

With what space on 2 sides?

And you realise Oxford City aren't the only ones to use that and if I was City why would I want the costs associated with a bigger stadium when their crowds are a couple of hundred? Plus City would lose their income source with 2 artificial pitches etc as to fit huge stands on 2 sides, you'd have to dig up the 2nd artificial pitch as well so how are you going to replace that?

Tell me how easy it will be to fit a 10-15k stadium around the existing pitch again?

Why would we need to move again? 15k capacity is all we need unless we stayed in the Premier league for more than a season. Dont forget City are trying to become a league team in the next few years. So they would need to rip up their pitch and make changes to the ground. Sharing the ground could be the best thing for both clubs. Our investors fund the work to the stadium in return of developing the land east of the site in to hotels/leisure. Both clubs share the bills but keep any profits they gain from match day including catering. It works with football and rugby sharing grounds why couldn't it with two football clubs sharing?
Sadly, and I don't wish to deflate your enthusiasm for this project, all the land surrounding Court Place Farm bordered by the A40, is already subject to preservation and green belt restriction. Old Marston in particular is taboo. What land there is, is clearly marked as "outdoor sports" not, hotel/leisure.

Last edited:
The pandemic has changed things and when we are finally out of it there will be a huge demand for live events. A stadium in Oxford that not only provides excellent facilities for football but also for musicians and comedians on stadium tours would be great for the city. It can also be designed with what has been learnt from the pandemic e.g able to implement social distancing measures easily when required (I don’t see that ever going away)

Wasn't the Kassam built in mind to host concerts too? I think the only one was Elton John?

But that is almost exactly what is happening. The current board has several very wealthy members. At least one has first hand experience of building a stadium far larger than Grenoble Road. It has been stated several times that the intention is to move to a new location and to progress the club into, at the minimum, the Championship. Just because it is not in the area of public knowledge does not mean that it is not happening.

As to the integrity of the board, I can't answer that but, buying OUFC in the first place and financing it ever since has displayed intent, surely that cannot be denied?
think you mustve misread my post there.

think you mustve misread my post there.
Well unless a billionaire oxford fan is going to build us a new stadium and the fund the team for years how do you think we are going to get a stadium that lets us progress out of the mess that is kassam and the kassam stadium?
I presume you think that any owners that want the property that goes with this stadium have to be bad people that will screw us like kassam?
Nope, don't think so, if anything, I am agreeing with what you have said. You have, perhaps, exaggerated the circumstances a little but, you are not a so far off what is for some, how they perceive the current board. I don't believe that the current owners are out to "screw" the club but they are property developers and as such, are looking to make a profit. All very reasonable and if the club can come out of this with a decent ground, modern facilities and the right deal, then bring it on!

Nope, don't think so, if anything, I am agreeing with what you have said. You have, perhaps, exaggerated the circumstances a little but, you are not a so far off what is for some, how they perceive the current board. I don't believe that the current owners are out to "screw" the club but they are property developers and as such, are looking to make a profit. All very reasonable and if the club can come out of this with a decent ground, modern facilities and the right deal, then bring it on!
Our current deal / situation is basically as bad as it gets. Even if we had the exact same terrible terms as we do now but were paying to play in a new stadium with four sides that was actually finished, it would be infinitely more preferable to where we are now and have been for the last 20 years. It’s really, really hard to get any worse than where we are.

If we ended up playing in a decent stadium for even three quarters what we pay currently, let alone less, that would be ‘give them a bloody statue’ territory.

ok.are we in a position where something out of our control could see us have to restart all over again?

Well unless a billionaire oxford fan is going to build us a new stadium and the fund the team for years how do you think we are going to get a stadium that lets us progress out of the mess that is kassam and the kassam stadium?
I presume you think that any owners that want the property that goes with this stadium have to be bad people that will screw us like kassam?
I don't presume anything of the sort. This is business not benefaction. We will get a new stadium if the property deal works. The three directors of OUFC aren't bad, whatever that means, but nor are they stupid.

I don't presume anything of the sort. This is business not benefaction. We will get a new stadium if the property deal works. The three directors of OUFC aren't bad, whatever that means, but nor are they stupid.
Exactly this

What should not be overlooked should this all go ahead is what's in the detail.

Spot on.

Stratified Brake in Kidlington...
But Will Cherwell district council allow a football grounf to be built there, will the residents of Kidlington and Gosford want thousands of fans there every fortnight and occasionally on Tuesday evenings?

Doesnt look a bad spot for a shopping mall and cinema complex if you look at the distance to alternatives and population centres.

Doesnt look a bad spot for a shopping mall and cinema complex if you look at the distance to alternatives and population centres.
Looks a perfect location to me. Will need some changes to the roads in the area, and some form of pedestrian crossing/bridge from the railway station.

Bicester......decent train connections loads of pubs........right next to Bicester village.....where the old Bicester town ground was.......

Bicester......decent train connections loads of pubs........right next to Bicester village.....where the old Bicester town ground was.......

I hope not. Can't see how they can sell the Oxford brand with a club that don't play with the city boundaries or ring road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom