EFL Possible start dates for 20/21 season

Marked Ox

God like member
Has been suggested on another forum that the FL will start on either 5th or 12th Sept. This is only a rumour but the person has got some stuff like this right in the past. And pre-season would start early August.

Last edited:
By 12th September this season, we had already played 10 fixtures. Seven league games, two League Cup games and one EFL Trophy match. Even assuming those secondary cup competitions are suspended for next season, that's still a lot of extra league games to fit in if the season is to finish at the usual time.

By 12th September this season, we had already played 10 fixtures. Seven league games, two League Cup games and one EFL Trophy match. Even assuming those secondary cup competitions are suspended for next season, that's still a lot of extra league games to fit in if the season is to finish at the usual time.

tbh there’s loads of midweek cup matches that can just be replaced with a league match plus lots of empty midweek spots.

This is going to be strange because some clubs will have been in training for weeks and will then be playing league games up to the end of July, some like us will have just started trainng up again and playing three playoff games, while others wont have emerged from furlough since March - so this will mean vastly different levels of preparedness for a September start. Will we break again after the final, or will be just keep going after having three months off up to last week?

Well we won't be elegible for the EFL trophy as its for the bottom 2 divisions, so that will be less games for a start.

A period of hibernation has been suggested by a few different sources and I'm inclined to agree it is a genuine possibility; some clubs simply won't be able to afford the costs of testing etc while also losing a valuable revenue stream.

I've probably missed something obvious, but I dont see how much is saved by a club hibernating still having to pay infrastructure costs and salaries etc. Compared to still having those costs and playing without fans.

Like I said probably me missing the obvious, but once furlough has ended I dont see the benefit!

Once furlough has ended, the benefit is definitely reduced, I agree. I've seen a few different dates mentioned, but even delaying the start of the season until the end of December or January - taking full advantage of furlough - would save clubs a significant amount in wages and testing costs, which are estimated to be around £4,500 per week.

So while it may not be a massive delay, even pushing back the start of the season by a few months, and saving a good chunk in the process, may be tempting to some clubs.

Last edited:
Won't be possible because of the Euros.
If the 2020/21 season starts as "normal" then it absolutely has to finish in May.
In these circumstances, would there be an actual issue with the lower leagues continuing up to (and even during/after) the Euros - very few players will have a clash of interest..

In these circumstances, would there be an actual issue with the lower leagues continuing up to (and even during/after) the Euros - very few players will have a clash of interest..

wouldn't that depend on who qualifies for the Euros ? ( Northern Ireland, Ireland & Wales among others, will call up some players from L1 & L2 should they qualify)

I know this relates to non-league but the leagues tend to be reasonably aligned for starting so might be light at the end of the tunnel!

The plan is September but they also outlined scenarios if the season doesn't start until January, so it's hardly conclusive at this stage. Ultimately, it rests with the government.

Minutes from the meeting for anyone interested.

Premier league doesn’t finish til end of July. So that sets out when the relegated teams to the championship will be decided.

Not sure when the championship finishes.

But let’s say a month off and three weeks pre season. So end of September start of October at the earliest.

Won't be possible because of the Euros.
If the 2020/21 season starts as "normal" then it absolutely has to finish in May.
Do the Euros have to happen at the same time? I mean, the World Cup in 2022 is happening in winter and that was before “unprecedented times” so they could easily push the euros back a couple of months.

Back
Top Bottom