possible new Guildford ground - ideas

MarkG

Hi - my local team Guildford City are currently homeless, although they used to play at an athletics ground in Guildford which is next to the local leisure centre.

Anyway, this leisure centre is being considered for either refurbishment or completely rebuilding. A friend of mine who is active in local politics thinks it may be possible for them to come home, and has asked if there are any UK grounds built on top of a car park, as he doesn't think the council would let the current car park and park and ride be eaten up. I can't think of any apart from Monaco.

But then thinking around the issue, are there clubs which are effectively part of a leisure complex, for instance the back of a main stand being part of the leisure facilities. I think Plymouth were trying something with an ice rink? How is Colchester's community stadium?

Aerial picture of the site here.

Last edited:
Cant guilford city groundshare with aldershot or woking for the time being? ... wouldnt there be 'suitable' space to build on near hogsback (on the road between guilford &aldershot) or somewhere in or around Bisley area?

Cant guilford city groundshare with aldershot or woking for the time being? ... wouldnt there be 'suitable' space to build on near hogsback (on the road between guilford &aldershot) or somewhere in or around Bisley area?
Our local council is more focussed on new housing in those areas than any real attempt for the club to come "home" (sound familiar). Guildford City FC used to play in the town before their ground was sold for housing. I think the point Howard was asking me was that this could be a once in a generation opportunity for the council leisure to build a football ground on the same site. They are talking over £135M to £221M on the new sports centre, and we know that a basic modern football ground can be as little as £10M to I think £25M for Rotherham's ground which is much higher league standard.

@MarkG ............. Bath rugby are after doing something similar. Only catch is the ground is on a floodplain, idea is the car park doubles as a holding pond and the pitch doesn`t flood.

Who cares about ducking Guildford Fc go cry somewhere else

Who cares about ducking Guildford Fc go cry somewhere else

You may not have noticed but this forum is divided into sub-forums where other things can be discussed.
This sub-forum is UK Football, eg: any football related discussions in the UK.
Maybe we should ask for another sub-forum entitled "How socially inadequate is @Glover " or "How low is @Glover `s IQ" ?
What do you think?

Not that I care................

Back
Top Bottom