General Possible introduction of kick-ins discussed by football's lawmakers Ifab

Kick-ins to speed up throw-ins, no thanks. just give the fourth official a stop watch and if the team take more than 15 seconds to take it, then give the throw-in, then it goes to the opposition.
I dont really see why that would speed things up, teams take long enough over free kicks. It would lessen the head tennis and aerial challenges though, which could endear it to some.

No, no and no.

Should get a timekeeper before that, as used in Rugby and the ref can stop the clock for injuries etc.

The biggest idiocy in that report is the lawmakers not approving the use of temporary substitutions to allow Head/Concussion assessments. It works perfectly well in other sports and this further confirms IFAB are ridiculous and potentially causing danger to players.

Fun fact I discovered from reading about this today - between 1863 (when the throw in law was first codified) and 1877 (when everyone finally agreed on new laws), most versions of the laws of the game had the throw-in being awarded to the first team to touch the ball after it left the field of play (as opposed to against the last team to touch it before). It then had to be thrown in perpendicular to the sideline, like a rugby lineout.

Would make the game more interesting and interactive for the fans! Although clubs would probably want to start employing 7 ft bruisers, rather than schoolkids, as ball boys!

Just stop the clock when the ball goes dead. Time wasting would immediately become irrelevant.

But games would last a lot longer in terms of time. The clock currently continues to tick when ‘keepers are dawdling over a goal kick or a player is getting treatment. If you stopped the clock at every stoppage, you’d have a much longer game on your hands.

Proposals have been mooted for 60 minute games with the stop clock in place. Their logic goes that since most matches see the ball in play for c.58 minutes, a 60 minute game is close to the real thing but with more accurate time keeping.

My argument is why bother changing it? Dark arts methods for running down the clock are part and parcel of football. You love it when your team is doing it and tear your hair out when it’s done against you.

I’m happy with the game continuing to innovate but this seems like a needless step to me. Let’s keep time keeping open to interpretation. Football has operated with two halves of 45 minutes each and that’s fine with me.

It’s not entirely accurate to use current ball in play times as a guide though as at the moment teams purposely waste time with the ball dead, knowing that it won’t all be added on. If a stop clock method was introduced that would stop as it would be pointless, so teams would get on with it. Games would still last longer though that’s for sure.

Technically though isn’t the added time at each half meant to be making up for any time wasting or dead ball time? If refs actually added it on accurately rather than just always adding 0-2 minutes in the first half then 3-6 mins in the second half depending on how close the game is, maybe this wouldn’t even be an issue…

Wycombe games would cover two days under the stop clock method

Games they started playing in 2014 would still be ongoing tbf.

Akinfenwa would have eaten the linesmen before half-time.

If you had a 'game clock' that was stopped when the ball wasn't in play, there should still be sanctions for unnecessarily delaying the game or you'd have endless 'drinks breaks' and players going down with 'cramp' so their team mates could have a quick natter with the manager. Or perhaps it should be more like American football, where you'd have a fixed amount of time to take a throw in or free kick. Fail to do so and it's awarded the other way. I know it isn't traditional, but the endless time wasting really irritates me - and yes, even when we do it!

If you had a 'game clock' that was stopped when the ball wasn't in play, there should still be sanctions for unnecessarily delaying the game or you'd have endless 'drinks breaks' and players going down with 'cramp' so their team mates could have a quick natter with the manager. Or perhaps it should be more like American football, where you'd have a fixed amount of time to take a throw in or free kick. Fail to do so and it's awarded the other way. I know it isn't traditional, but the endless time wasting really irritates me - and yes, even when we do it!
Refs just need to be stronger with the likes of Wycombe, adding on time for time wasting and booking or sending off players who take the P**s. The cheating sides always seem to get the better of refs - maybe the fourth official needs to have a bigger role in keeping an eye on what they get up to.

Refs just need to be stronger with the likes of Wycombe, adding on time for time wasting and booking or sending off players who take the P**s. The cheating sides always seem to get the better of refs - maybe the fourth official needs to have a bigger role in keeping an eye on what they get up to.

I remember reffing an u16s game and one team was unsubtly timewasting, and I couldn't be bothered to write the multiple reports if I booked them, so told them for every minute they timewasted I'd add on double. We played 16 minutes injury time as they didn't believe me. Their manager had a moan but I just suggested he look at his own team's efforts. The opposition equalised after about 10 minutes injury time.

Kick ins would make every throw in a set piece and slow the game down lol, they don't have a clue.

Back
Top Bottom