Portsmouth player ratings

IsleofWightYellow

Mitchell - 6: He doesn’t command his box, doesn’t come off his line to claim anything. Stupid pass for the penalty. Kicking poor at times. Good save for the pen though.

McMahon - 6: Good cross for the OG, but he has no pace. Battled well enough. Some set pieces were poor.

Nelson - 5: He looks unfit, overweight, lacking in confidence. Second half he started to bring the ball out of defence a bit better.

Dickie - 4: He got dominated in the air, couldn’t pass, looked weak

Garbutt - 3: He clearly didn’t want the ball, I felt sorry for him at times, he looks mentally fragile

Hanson - 2: He can’t pass the ball, looks slow, overweight... gave the penalty away. Looked ok when he was anonymous and I wasn’t noticing him. Hopefully just not fit?

Baptiste - 7: One bright spark, worked hard in a poor team, neat and tidy

Brannigan - 5: Poor first half, improved a lot in the second

Mackie - 2: How, how, how is he playing? Against Fleetwood he was awful. He is lumbering, not fit, can’t head, passes sideways. He works hard at least. His legs seem to have gone.

Smith: 5 - He worked hard and won a couple of free kicks, but mainly toiled away to little effect

Browne: 6 - I like him, flickers and flashes today. I’d like to see him centrally I think.

Subs:

Obika: 7 - Unsettled the defence when he came on. Strong. Unlucky not to score.

Henry: 8 - Changed the game, looked a class above, made us pass it. Could have scored two or three.

Ruffles: 5 - I didn’t really notice him that much

Mackie should not be in the first team, shown nothing to justify his selection
Garbutt, as above

Smith needs to start showing why we hung around for him

Let’s hope some of the absentees like Holmes, Hall can come in and change it, but i always worry when a manager pins all his hopes on players who are unavailable.

The lack of competition at left back looks a worry

Norman, Whyte, Raglan (Is he fit?) & Mous all have to be given a chance on Tuesday and a more solid 442 formation. Enough is enough. My team would be.

Mitchell
Norman Raglan Mous Ruffels
Baptiste Browne Whyte Holmes
Obika Henry

Norman, Whyte, Raglan (Is he fit?) & Mous all have to be given a chance on Tuesday and a more solid 442 formation. Enough is enough. My team would be.

Mitchell
Norman Raglan Mous Ruffels
Baptiste Browne Whyte Holmes
Obika Henry
Holmes won't be fit until Saturday!

I’d be tempted to go with a solid 442 on tuesday

Mitchell
Norman Raglan Nelson Ruffels
Henry Mous Baptiste Browne
Obika Lopes

My friend at the game was of the opinion that Thompson for them was outstanding as a loan player, exactly what we are missing.

Also that Brannagan is having his time here wasted by being so deep.

And that Garbutt was unbelievably pap.

Mitchell-5
Mcmahon-4
Nelson-4
Dickie-5
Garbutt-2
Hanson-3
Brannagan-6
Mackie-1
Baptiste-6
Browne-5
Smith-5

Henry-7
Obika-7
Ruffels-6

Why did it take until 3-0 for us to even make a game of it? 4231 doesn't work when the number 10 drops into midfield and leaves Smith up top alone. Henry gave the perfect example on how to play 10, him and Obika linked up well and we were the better team for the majority of the last 30. That's because Henry actually got in the channels and was direct.

Ruffels LB>CM

Garbutt and Mackie are dreadful doesn't look like they want the ball and both drift to central

My friend at the game was of the opinion that Thompson for them was outstanding as a loan player, exactly what we are missing.

Also that Brannagan is having his time here wasted by being so deep.

And that Garbutt was unbelievably pap.
Garbutt was awful, 3 or 4 times up against the quickest player on the pitch and he is jogging back expecting the ball to go out and suddenly Lowe brushes past him and gets to the ball. He acts as a 3rd CB at times and doesn't cover the wing or attempt to block the cross he is just as bad as Smith-Brown.

Mitchell-5
Mcmahon-4
Nelson-4
Dickie-5
Garbutt-2
Hanson-3
Brannagan-6
Mackie-1
Baptiste-6
Browne-5
Smith-5

Henry-7
Obika-7
Ruffels-6

Why did it take until 3-0 for us to even make a game of it? 4231 doesn't work when the number 10 drops into midfield and leaves Smith up top alone. Henry gave the perfect example on how to play 10, him and Obika linked up well and we were the better team for the majority of the last 30. That's because Henry actually got in the channels and was direct.

Ruffels LB>CM

Garbutt and Mackie are dreadful doesn't look like they want the ball and both drift to central

Interesting that the players with the highest marks are the ones Robinson DIDN'T sign.

I can take defeats and have a fairly realistic vision of what Oxford can achieve season by season. I thought maybe a top half finish at a push this season as we do have a lot of competition in League 1 this time around.

However, we’re supposed to be a professional football club and we’re turning out with players who are unfit?! What the chuff went on over the summer? Who was monitoring this sort of thing?

The lack of preparation has been an utter shambles. That falls at KR’s door I’m afraid.

I can take defeats and have a fairly realistic vision of what Oxford can achieve season by season. I thought maybe a top half finish at a push this season as we do have a lot of competition in League 1 this time around.

However, we’re supposed to be a professional football club and we’re turning out with players who are unfit?! What the chuff went on over the summer? Who was monitoring this sort of thing?

The lack of preparation has been an utter shambles. That falls at KR’s door I’m afraid.
Derry said Barnsley was the "Perfect Storm". It wont happen again. Yeah, right.

Can I ask who actually IS FULLY FIT at the moment? Dickie, Brannagan, .... er ... who else??? So much for the fittest team in the league!!!

When we are carrying 2 players Garbett and Mackie, I am afraid at this level we will get punished.
Coming from a Prem club or being an Ex Prem player is not a basis for signing - who watched / scouted these 2 because worryingly I cannot see any signs of where any improvement can come from.
However my biggest concern is after the first 2 games KR still picked them for the Pompey game.
While being in a down beat moment other thoughts
Ruffels Machon too slow
Wheres the width
Wheres our hold up striker
Please do not offer Hall another contract
The January transfer window cannot come quick enough but would I trust KR based on acquisitions this year.

PS
Lundstrum Rothwell Johnson Ledson and yes Hylton if only !

I’d be tempted to go with a solid 442 on tuesday

Mitchell
Norman Raglan Nelson Ruffels
Henry Mous Baptiste Browne
Obika Lopes

Lopes? He looked out of his depth on Tuesday when he came on, but I’d expect that of a 16 year old.

If anything it’s got to be Obika & Smith.

I’d start Whyte and Browne on the wings, put Mousinho and Nelson in centre of defence. Bring Ruffels in for Garbutt and Norman for McMahon. I’d probably go with Henry and Baptiste in the middle with Henry playing the more advanced role.

Mitchell
Norman, Mousinho, Nelson, Ruffels
Baptist
Whyte, Henry, Browne
Obika & Smith
4-1-3-2

I guess so, but then it depends whether Tiger did fully support him with the players targeted!

Just seems odd that KR had players lined up at the of last season, but like another poster posted we ended up doing lastminute.com. If if these are the players KR targeted e.g. Garbutt, Mackie, McMahon, then god only helps us.

Oh, and we didn’t bring in a recognised goalscorer either.

Lopes? He looked out of his depth on Tuesday when he came on, but I’d expect that of a 16 year old.

If anything it’s got to be Obika & Smith.

I’d start Whyte and Browne on the wings, put Mousinho and Nelson in centre of defence. Bring Ruffels in for Garbutt and Norman for McMahon. I’d probably go with Henry and Baptiste in the middle with Henry playing the more advanced role.

Mitchell
Norman, Mousinho, Nelson, Ruffels
Baptist
Whyte, Henry, Browne
Obika & Smith
4-1-3-2
I understand what you’re saying about Lopes but unfortunately our more senior options up front are too similar. I don’t think Smith and Obika as a pair would work, we need some pace. Maybe Whyte up front? Get him to play on the shoulder and run the channels, just having someone to do that would stretch the opposition defence a little bit and create a bit more space.

Back
Top Bottom