EPL Poor old Spuds......

I think the reason the authorities are more keen to have these games called off is due to broadcasting.
I would presume that the club get the same broadcast fee regardless of whosoever makes up their team on the pitch - buggers up SKY's schedule too (so it's not all bad).

It's reasonable that the first match after covid is detected in your matchday bubble is postponed - that gives the club involved the opportunity to move players into isolation, test/re-test the remaining players and anyone else drafted into the squad and to deep clean the facilities needed to prepare and schedule the match.

Postponement of a second match would be perplexing, given the squad sizes which these teams carry.

So, these moneybags PL clubs with huge amounts of talent on their books are unable to field a team.... yet some field a team of kids in FA Cup and league Cup ties, but have to call off PL games due to a few positive covid tests ? Really?

So, these moneybags PL clubs with huge amounts of talent on their books are unable to field a team.... yet some field a team of kids in FA Cup and league Cup ties, but have to call off PL games due to a few positive covid tests ? Really?
To be fair to them @Sarge, taking Man Utd as an example they only have 37 first team players, and a miniscule 5 goalkeepers. You can't expect them to deal with it as well as we did, with our massive squad cap of 24 players. When we had 13 out, we could quite comfortably put an 11 together if we borrowed a few players, whereas they may struggle to field full quota of players sitting in the stands due to not being picked.

It’s just taking the P**s out of clubs the size of ours when man united have 4 players missing with COVID out of a squad of f**k knows how many they can get the game postponed it’s been happening for months in the EFL teams suffering with players missing but just get on with it but not in the PL oh know we can’t have that

Yes but it would devalue the prestigious PL competition if the public had to watch the Man U reserve players, even though they are mostly internationals who earn £10 million a year.

Are these the same cup games that they insist they take seriously?

Man United game off now. Cynically I think the reason the authorities are more keen to have these games called off is due to broadcasting. People aren't going to tune in to watch a load of reserves. So it makes more financial sense to postpone the game until the big names are back

As for us carrying on, you have to remember that even though OUFC means everything to us, it means nothing to the money men.
I think the football authorities are trying to protect against a full sports lockdown. You can call it cynical but if they just let matches continue the likely outcome would be a full lockdown. I am sure a lot of governmental pressure would be requesting postponement.
The situation has changed dramatically since our Wigan game. The football authorities really are between a rock and a hard place.

Back
Top Bottom