General Politics and OUFC - Cause for concerns?

If and it is a big if they were to walk away who is to say that they may take the debt with them?
But why mention “ if the current owners walk away” I do hope you realise if they walk away that could be the death knell of this club.
Of course I realise it could be the death knell of our club which is why I brought up the subject of the ballooning debt.

Of course I realise it could be the death knell of our club which is why I brought up the subject of the ballooning debt.
We are not the only club with ballooning debt but we did break even a couple of seasons ago albeit the long term debt was still there. But we are no where near what some clubs debts are,!so while this article has appeared and now some are seeing it for all the harm it could do. But as others have said this is a decades old issue that I personally can’t see it going any further it will only be the likes of Ian Middleton, John Hill, Sue McIvor and KDC who night try and use it to tarnish our club with the Oxfordshire County Council.
It just seemed all new posters have come out now to find fault and it makes people wonder their true intentions.

That’s a cheap dig.

I’m fairly relaxed about all this but it would be a poor move to completely ignore it. We can and should have a moral compass about those running the club and the ethics we all choose to live by should be reflected by those at the club.

I hope they are and have no evidence to say that they aren’t. However this article gives a hint of doubt that could be explained away fairly easily.
Not a dig, just a question to gauge strength of feeling about an issue most only learned about 36 hours ago.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I am no part of any conspiracy. I've been watching Oxford for nearly 50 years and I would love to see us move somewhere into a new home of our own and become sustainable. There must be some concern however about what happens if the current owners walk away and leave us 18, 20 or even 30 million in debt.
I thought the concern was the ridiculous notion OUFC were purchased to quash an uprising on the other side of the world!!

Can I presume posters like Battman, WitneyU etc won't attend another game whilst Bakrie and Thohir are associated with OUFC as a result of this article?
When have I suggested a complete boycott, or even anything close? There'd be zero point in doing it, as any money I spend watching games or buying merchandise goes back into running the club, and won't be lining the owners' pockets. The only call I've made is for answers to the questions this issue raises, I think that's fair isn't it?

When have I suggested a complete boycott, or even anything close? There'd be zero point in doing it, as any money I spend watching games or buying merchandise goes back into running the club, and won't be lining the owners' pockets. The only call I've made is for answers to the questions this issue raises, I think that's fair isn't it?
I wonder if any New Astor supporter asked questions of their new owners….looks like the EPL didn’t give a dam when Newcastle beers bought sinilar as to where Abramovich got his money from or how he acquired his money.

I think that's massively unfair on @battman who is very clearly a fan but has a slightly different take on this one issue. @WitneyU is either the long lost Charles Harry Finlayson Methven returning to troll this forum, or someone looking to discredit the club and couldn't wait to jump in to this thread and has never been to a game.

You can't put these two posters in the same category even if you have different views on this.
I’m not sure what makes you think WitneyU is our friend Charlie?
I mean apart from only joining the forum at the end of March this year, only posting about the stadium, our owners and 1 dig at Sunderland as a club and their fan base I can’t see why you would draw that conclusion…

I’m not sure what makes you think WitneyU is our friend Charlie?
I mean apart from only joining the forum at the end of March this year, only posting about the stadium, our owners and 1 dig at Sunderland as a club and their fan base I can’t see why you would draw that conclusion…
And no self-respecting OUFC fan calls themselves a 'U'.

Anyway, isn't Stewart Donald from Witney? 🧐

Obviously this news is affecting season ticket sales. So many of our fans sitting on the fence now wondering if we will get the new stadium and a proper seat 😀

We are not the only club with ballooning debt but we did break even a couple of seasons ago albeit the long term debt was still there. But we are no where near what some clubs debts are,!so while this article has appeared and now some are seeing it for all the harm it could do. But as others have said this is a decades old issue that I personally can’t see it going any further it will only be the likes of Ian Middleton, John Hill, Sue McIvor and KDC who night try and use it to tarnish our club with the Oxfordshire County Council.
It just seemed all new posters have come out now to find fault and it makes people wonder their true intentions.
Just because we are nowhere near some other clubs debt doesn't mean we shouldn't be concerned/ask questions. We for one thing don't have any substantial assets to counter it. When a boat is sinking, looking elsewhere and saying their shoes are wetter doesn't help (and that is just the first analogy that came to mind, I don't think we are sinking).

Again, re the issue, it may be nothing, but there is nothing wrong with being concerned/asking questions. As long as it is done in the right way, if these businessmen are as big and worthy as is claimed then they will have zero issue with clarifying. And if they are the big beasts of business and stadium building, then they will be used to dealing with local interests/politics and be able to deal with it with ease.

Re: intentions of new posters (and has been shown not all of them are) - pointing to a news article in a serious publication that mentions OUFC and asking questions is different from coming on and spouting unsubstantiated rumours that x player has been seen buying furniture in Blackpool.

• React
Reactions: m
Back
Top Bottom