General Politics and OUFC - Cause for concerns?

sorry, I didn't see the irony meme.

But beware, this big bad moron is watching you.
No hard feelings Malc, more of frustration that our marketing of season tickets is P**s poor
Hope that doesn’t get a ban 😀

One of the things the article addresses is the motivation /attraction for owning a lower league club the consortium of people who now own OUFC.
Tiger and Empire Asia : on their way out it seems. Presumably they saw the club as a buy, do up, sell on for a profit, perhaps whilst getting control of some valuable land on the side.
Geicke - the builder : The one with the expertise to get a stadium project done. Perhaps he will get his payback from the side projetcs of nthe new stadium.
Bakrie and Thohir:
I can't work out whether this is a vanity project to be the first Indonesian owners of a top 30 football club. As they are relatively young, perhaps it is a bit of fun. Thohir has the football background from DC United and Inter Milan. Bakrie has the family wealth.
A medium term money making project off the back of the stadium.
The sportswashing argument could make sense, showing how nice Indonesians can transform a lower league club.
There are always people who want to be identified with the Oxford brand, the mega-rich are virtually queuing up to sponsor various institutions at the University, effectively to brush under the carpet the source of their wealth and show their benevolence. Perhaps the West Papua issue makes direct investment in the University too problematic for the University to accept.

One of the things the article addresses is the motivation /attraction for owning a lower league club the consortium of people who now own OUFC.
Tiger and Empire Asia : on their way out it seems. Presumably they saw the club as a buy, do up, sell on for a profit, perhaps whilst getting control of some valuable land on the side.
Geicke - the builder : The one with the expertise to get a stadium project done. Perhaps he will get his payback from the side projetcs of nthe new stadium.
Bakrie and Thohir:
I can't work out whether this is a vanity project to be the first Indonesian owners of a top 30 football club. As they are relatively young, perhaps it is a bit of fun. Thohir has the football background from DC United and Inter Milan. Bakrie has the family wealth.
A medium term money making project off the back of the stadium.
The sportswashing argument could make sense, showing how nice Indonesians can transform a lower league club.
There are always people who want to be identified with the Oxford brand, the mega-rich are virtually queuing up to sponsor various institutions at the University, effectively to brush under the carpet the source of their wealth and show their benevolence. Perhaps the West Papua issue makes direct investment in the University too problematic for the University to accept.
The most trivial part of all this to me, is that what we are presented with a dispute over land which dates back to the 1960's.

Land that is part of Indonesia, and if it's part of Indonesia it is their choice to mine it's valuable minerals if they wish to do so.

And are we really going to pretend that a City(and University) that has a number of very close links to Cecil Rhodes, and still bares Buildings and statues in his name, is somehow on the moral high ground over a territorial dispute on the other side of the world.

Back
Top Bottom