World Cup Poland V England

Decent away point in our hardest game of the whole qualifying group, late equaliser are always a kick in the teeth but this is no big deal and we will qualify comfortably.

Still going to qualify with ease , no need to panic , rewind 10-20 years ago we would always struggle to qualify, we’ve come a long way

Hahaha we got what we deserved. I hate this negative of a manager. We sit on 1-0, make no subs!

Im so glad he doesn’t manage OUFC.
Problem is the players are more worried about their image. Southgate should have subbed Sterling he done nothing tonight the red should be ashamed and go and hang himself.
This pissing about in defence or going on the attack and then wait for the opposition to all regroup and get back behind the ball and then pass it back to Pickford.

I’ve rarely seen a competitive game of football of this intensity where one team doesn’t make any subs whatsoever. He had 5 available to him as well!

The players looked a bit tired at the end - perhaps with a few subs we would have kept the ball better.

Why isn’t Southgate bringing on subs? It is ridiculous.
Little wonder then that we conceded late on.
It doesn’t make any sense.
Such strength in depth in this England squad yet he just fails to see that multiple players are running on empty.
We will still win this group… at a canter but Southgate needs to start recognising fatigue and doing something about it.

He’s a useless manager, and a very negative one at that. I’m not reacting because we’ve drawn tonight, but because as soon as we go 1-0 up, we then decide to sit on it. You think he’d learn from the final, when we sat back on 1-0 vs italy. You’d think he would of learnt from his negative tactics in the World Cup semi final vs Croatia. When we were also 1-0 up. We sat back vs Colombia in the same World Cup at 1-0, and let a late goal in. This was a game against Poland, who only have one quality player. You mark him out of the game as best as you can, and win the game. We should be beating these teams, I’m sure Netherlands and France wouldn’t of sat back in either of these games.

Mind boggling.

Good result that tonight, all things considered.

We were probably going to qualify even if we got thumped 5-0 today. But the nice away point in our hardest fixture means it's now nailed on.
Only Albania & Hungary at home, and Andorra & San Marino away to come and we can lose one of them and still top the group.

It's amazing how easy we've found qualifying for the World Cup this past decade or so.....really from Capello onwards. Given how much of a chore it always used to be - even after the expansion to 32 teams. I know we've had some favourable draws, but we also seem to be so much more adept at beating the mediocre cloggers (like Hungary) than we used to be.

He’s a useless manager, and a very negative one at that. I’m not reacting because we’ve drawn tonight, but because as soon as we go 1-0 up, we then decide to sit on it. You think he’d learn from the final, when we sat back on 1-0 vs italy. You’d think he would of learnt from his negative tactics in the World Cup semi final vs Croatia. When we were also 1-0 up. This was a game against Poland, who only have one quality player. You mark him out of the game as best as you can, and win the game. We should be beating these teams, I’m sure Netherlands and France wouldn’t of sat back in either of these games.

You mean France, who've drawn home and away against Ukraine and home against Bosnia this qualification cycle?
And the Netherlands, who've drawn with Norway and got thumped 4-2 in Turkey?

Both those countries have work still to do to qualify. England are picking out their desert gear already.

Southgate is our most successful manager for more than half a century. I don't know what more he needs to do to catch a break from the fans!?

Only Belgium and Denmark have more points in qualifying from the European section. Denmark's group is absolutely woeful as well.

Southgate has got to a final and a semi final in his last 2 tournaments, plus that other thing where we lost to the Dutch. He has things to improve on but this is the best and most likeable England side I've seen in my lifetime. Who do people want instead? Allardyce?!

Last edited:
I just don't get England fandom at times. Southgate imposes a style on an international side and is pilloried for it the second it doesn't get three points. For the first time in donkey's years, England aren't just a shock-and-awe team that sees the XI best players that they have thrown onto the field but a cohesive unit that plays a certain way. It's cautious, conservative and not always stunning to watch, but it generates results. A World Cup semi-final, a NL finals spot and their first tournament final at the Euros ever where they were knocked out on penalties and he still can't win over some.

Jeez. It was a draw against Poland yesterday. So what? England were five wins from five going into it and still four points clear even after a draw. If you're getting hung up on this, have a word. It's the bigger picture that needs looking at and England should really be looking at training camps and organising the warm up games ahead of the World Cup next year. France won the World Cup in 2018 and yet in qualifying for the tournament conspired draw with Belarus and draw 0-0 at home against Luxembourg. I bet no one was mentioning those results when Pogba et al were parading the trophy around Moscow.

Despite only conceding two goals in qualifying, I still think the defence needs further work for England. It may be a question of resources at his disposal (Southgate certainly has plenty of options for the other positions), but Pickford seems to have to do a little more work than he should at times. Also, with the likes of 30 years+ players like Walker and Trippier being the mainstays, it seems as though the defence doesn't seem to have that succession planning that Southgate likes to impose with drafting in younger players. They may need to see a few more options come through the ranks.

Absolutely clueless comments on here from some, Southgate is our second best ever manager on performances in competitive competition, an away draw with Poland after losing on penalties in our first final in 55 years and he is s**t though.

I just don't get England fandom at times. Southgate imposes a style on an international side and is pilloried for it the second it doesn't get three points. For the first time in donkey's years, England aren't just a shock-and-awe team that sees the XI best players that they have thrown onto the field but a cohesive unit that plays a certain way. It's cautious, conservative and not always stunning to watch, but it generates results. A World Cup semi-final, a NL finals spot and their first tournament final at the Euros ever where they were knocked out on penalties and he still can't win over some.

Jeez. It was a draw against Poland yesterday. So what? England were five wins from five going into it and still four points clear even after a draw. If you're getting hung up on this, have a word. It's the bigger picture that needs looking at and England should really be looking at training camps and organising the warm up games ahead of the World Cup next year. France won the World Cup in 2018 and yet in qualifying for the tournament conspired draw with Belarus and draw 0-0 at home against Luxembourg. I bet no one was mentioning those results when Pogba et al were parading the trophy around Moscow.

Despite only conceding two goals in qualifying, I still think the defence needs further work for England. It may be a question of resources at his disposal (Southgate certainly has plenty of options for the other positions), but Pickford seems to have to do a little more work than he should at times. Also, with the likes of 30 years+ players like Walker and Trippier being the mainstays, it seems as though the defence doesn't seem to have that succession planning that Southgate likes to impose with drafting in younger players. They may need to see a few more options come through the ranks.

I'd say right back is exactly where England are well stocked for the future, with the likes of Trent Alexander-Arnold, Reece James, Wan-Bissaka and Sam Long waiting in the wings.

In fact, there is decent talent waiting for their chance in most positions. Centre back is a bit of a concern for me, but hopefully Godfrey and Konsa have good seasons again and find themselves in contention, likewise if Gomez can stay fit then he's a talent.

Hahaha we got what we deserved. I hate this negative of a manager. We sit on 1-0, make no subs!

Im so glad he doesn’t manage OUFC.
You hate the manager who was a penalty away from winning the Euros? Which England managers in your lifetime have been better?

You really dislike him don't you?!
No, he just frustrates me and thousands more with his play on his day he’s unstoppable but when he receives the ball and suddenly stops which allows the opposition to all get behind the ball and three or four then go to him and he tries to dribble or whatever to get free of them and then he loses the ball. That’s what I don’t like about him

Back
Top Bottom