Points for play off

NottsYellow

I thought normally 72 points, or thereabouts got a play off place. Looking at the table, at halfway mark the last two places are occupied by P'boro P23 with 41 points. Barnsley P22 with 39 points.
So extrapolated, over whole season, it looks like 80 points will be required.
We currently have 26 points so a mere 54 points required.

These things tend to revert to the average so playoffs may well end still being around 72. I remember last season the doom mongerers were making predictions of 55+ to stay safe given the table around march when our situation was precarious ..safety ended up being the standard 50 with a decent goal difference.

Anyway even at 72 we would need 46 points..2 points per game going forward. Stranger things have happened but extremely unlikely.
Given our truly awful start I think top 10 should be a ambitious but realistic target If we can maintain our good form.

On current form we would’ve been contenders but our start was so bad we are like one of those mad fuckers who run a marathon dressed in the old fashioned deep sea diving gear, heavily handicapped. After the start it became about staying up, the fact that at this moment it doesn’t look like being such a huge task is great, but we should just keep focusing on getting away from the bottom as that seems to being out the best in us.

I thought normally 72 points, or thereabouts got a play off place. Looking at the table, at halfway mark the last two places are occupied by P'boro P23 with 41 points. Barnsley P22 with 39 points.

Steady on there.

No way will it need 80 points.
Taking the last 5 years 69 to74 points have got into the play offs.
The average is around 72 points
As somebody else said some were last year suggesting that 55 points were required to stay up and as normal it was around 50 points (50 and a decent GD would have been enough)

These things tend to revert to the average so playoffs may well end still being around 72. I remember last season the doom mongerers were making predictions of 55+ to stay safe given the table around march when our situation was precarious ..safety ended up being the standard 50 with a decent goal difference.

Anyway even at 72 we would need 46 points..2 points per game going forward. Stranger things have happened but extremely unlikely.
Given our truly awful start I think top 10 should be a ambitious but realistic target If we can maintain our good form.

As I see it too. I didn’t have us down as likely playoff contenders before a ball was kicked and had dismissed the idea entirely after 10 games. If we do happen to make it, we’re going to have some terrific fun over the next few months!

I still would rather see us put a few more points and places away from the relegation zone first.

Maybe I haven’t had enough sherry yet, but I’m still looking over my shoulder at the teams beneath us.

Yes we're on a great run of form, but that's won't last. Injuries, suspensions will kick in at some point. Look at our subs bench in recent games, pretty thin if we're honest. We're bound to hit a sticky patch at some time before the end of the season. After the start we had I'll settle for mid-table security.

Forget about talk of play-offs it's about ensuring League 1 safety and recruiting well for next season.

Merry Christmas!:)

Maybe I haven’t had enough sherry yet, but I’m still looking over my shoulder at the teams beneath us.

Yes we're on a great run of form, but that's won't last. Injuries, suspensions will kick in at some point. Look at our subs bench in recent games, pretty thin if we're honest. We're bound to hit a sticky patch at some time before the end of the season. After the start we had I'll settle for mid-table security.

Forget about talk of play-offs it's about ensuring League 1 safety and recruiting well for next season.

Merry Christmas!:)
That's fair enough although we have had a great run over a period of time now and not just a few games.a 5 point gap is a fair way at this stage of the season.
The next 3 games gives us a really good chance to open up the gap and get towards half way.

Currently I’m enjoying a relatively young team playing some decent football and looking to build up a few points. Who knows what January will bring but I am not optimistic given the off-field rubbish recently served up byThanakarnjanasuth and co.

Currently I’m enjoying a relatively young team playing some decent football and looking to build up a few points. Who knows what January will bring but I am not optimistic given the off-field rubbish recently served up byThanakarnjanasuth and co.

And that for me sums up the frustration and confusion of many us fans. Because despite the recent off the field silence and issues, the young team, playing decent football with a young manager in charge willing to play them that people are enjoying, is all down to the chairman putting in the funds at youth levels, signing players like branagan, dickie and whyte and sticking by a young manger who many would have sacked.

And that for me sums up the frustration and confusion of many us fans. Because despite the recent off the field silence and issues, the young team, playing decent football with a young manager in charge willing to play them that people are enjoying, is all down to the chairman putting in the funds at youth levels, signing players like branagan, dickie and whyte and sticking by a young manger who many would have sacked.

Indeed. Like most things in life the situation is hardly black or white.

I would be happy with (should we miss the playoffs):
Top half of table and a Wembley final (3rd time lucky with that pesky competition?) for a bit of silverware for the club and an opportunity to show off our club with a day out at Wembley for our new investors (?). Then a productive summer transfer window with a meltdown-free 'summer transfer thread' on here ;)

It would be a freak season if 80 points were required to make the play-offs. For reference, the figure has been 71, 73, 74 and 69 over the past four seasons.

I know it's the season to be jolly, but getting to the playoffs?

Humbug.

Back
Top Bottom