Points and games

Foley

Played 28 games points 30.
The first time this season we have more points than games (I think)
To stay up we probably need a maximum of 22 points from 18 games. So 6 wins 4 draws and 8 defeats.
With 9 home games left hopefully we should be able to do this assuming that we get a decent striker in.

Played 28 games points 30.
The first time this season we have more points than games (I think)
To stay up we probably need a maximum of 22 points from 18 games. So 6 wins 4 draws and 8 defeats.
With 9 home games left hopefully we should be able to do this assuming that we get a decent striker in.

The table’s tight from 8th down, only 9 points in it!!

Would be interesting to know of the 18 remaining games, how many of those games are against teams that like to play football and how many against teams that like to hoof/press. If it’s the latter we’ll struggle, but if it’s the former then we’ll probably end up in the play offs!

Plenty of the season to go so there could be a variety of combinations for relegation on the cards.

Wimbledon are starting to become the first team to be cut adrift. Now seven points from safety and struggling. That we have them coming to the Kassam in April should be seen as an opportunity.

Rochdale are dropping line a stone so could well take up one of the four places and Bradford’s good form has disappeared. Whilst I can’t guarantee they’ll be in the bottom four come May, they look the most likely.

So one of a fair number between us, Plymouth, Shrewsbury, Gillingham, Bristol Rovers has plus a few more like Scunthorpe and Walsall. A win or two really does make a difference so it could be quite tight.

What I find amazing is that Wycombe aren’t down there. Only 12 points away from hitting 50, I thought they were a dreadful side that we completely outplayed at their place. I just wonder how long their team of old journeymen can keep going for before their combined ages catch up with them.

Plenty of the season to go so there could be a variety of combinations for relegation on the cards.

Wimbledon are starting to become the first team to be cut adrift. Now seven points from safety and struggling. That we have them coming to the Kassam in April should be seen as an opportunity.

Rochdale are dropping line a stone so could well take up one of the four places and Bradford’s good form has disappeared. Whilst I can’t guarantee they’ll be in the bottom four come May, they look the most likely.

So one of a fair number between us, Plymouth, Shrewsbury, Gillingham, Bristol Rovers has plus a few more like Scunthorpe and Walsall. A win or two really does make a difference so it could be quite tight.

What I find amazing is that Wycombe aren’t down there. Only 12 points away from hitting 50, I thought they were a dreadful side that we completely outplayed at their place. I just wonder how long their team of old journeymen can keep going for before their combined ages catch up with them.

My concern is, we don’t seem to do as well against teams in and around us e.g. the six pointers (Wimbledon).

My concern is, we don’t seem to do as well against teams in and around us e.g. the six pointers (Wimbledon).

From 17 place downwards we have beaten 4 out of the 7 teams. I'd say that isn't a bad return considering how inconsistent we have been. In fact we have won more games against the bottom sides than we have against the rest of the teams in the league.

From 17 place downwards we have beaten 4 out of the 7 teams. I'd say that isn't a bad return considering how inconsistent we have been. In fact we have won more games against the bottom sides than we have against the rest of the teams in the league.

But have lost to the four teams below us, with 3 of those games being in the last month if I’m reading it correctly, so also makes it that we’ve lost 4 out of those current 7.

Last edited:
If we had only picked up a point a piece against Rovers and Plymouth then we'd be in 17th and 4 points above the drop and feeling a little more confident. As it stands, it's far too close to call - but that applies to a dozen or more teams.

We've proved that we're not a bad side, and can compete against anyone if we're on our game. But players coming in will make all the difference. Mackie was great yesterday but will need games out, and Graham still needs to be protected with so few games played to date. A new striker will make a huge difference, as will keeping Eastwood fit. But put everything together and we should have enough. An injury or 2 and things start to look a lot less comfortable.

This season is a proverbial "game of two halves" - or two games of two halves.

We started playing the team's that were promoted from L2, teams that had come down from the Championship or our ubiquitous "bogey teams" and this was compounded by the loss of some key players to injury - one win from the first twelve games was the outcome. We then had what could be deemed a normal set of fixtures and the return of Eastwood, and we embarked upon our run and were only beaten once in eleven league outings.

Second half of the season and the dreaded Xmas games which should have seen a reasonable return and we get zilch and now we now embark on a run of games against those teams battling it out at the sharp end. I fear that even after yesterday, these will need to be endured before we get to March and can enter the final phase and ease ourselves to safety by playing some more benign fixtures - but the final day trip to Luton could be a crucial game if we haven't scrambled to safety by then.......

In my opinion, its the drawn games (especially against those down here with us) that will decide things. Draws against bogey teams like Fleetwood and Southend are good results, but even in the unbeaten run there were draws where we could and should have won. Can't be complacent in saying "well at least it's a point"...if you win one game and lose the other then you'd still have one point more than two draws. The "six pointers" will be more important than ever this season. We saw what a bad run over Christmas could do...now two games later and we're above the line.

Prescriptions of heart medication to increase till May, one assumes.

But have lost to the four teams below us, with 3 of those games being in the last month if I’m reading it correctly, so also makes it that we’ve lost 4 out of those current 7.

We have dropped points where we would be expected to pick them up but we have also picked up points in games where we would of expected to get nothing from. Yesterday being 1 of those.

It is clear that with a fully fit squad this team is good enough to get to mid table of league 1 and I still think we will be around lower midtable come May.

We have dropped points where we would be expected to pick them up but we have also picked up points in games where we would of expected to get nothing from. Yesterday being 1 of those.

It is clear that with a fully fit squad this team is good enough to get to mid table of league 1 and I still think we will be around lower midtable come May.

Hence why I said we seem to perform better against teams that tend to play football (which generally tend to be the better teams) rather than those who get in our faces.

I agree with you, if we can avoid further injuries to key players and get another striker in we are likely to finish lower mid table.

It would make a massive difference to confidence if we could break our away duck. The lack of away wins really piles the pressure on the home games.

In my opinion, its the drawn games (especially against those down here with us) that will decide things. Draws against bogey teams like Fleetwood and Southend are good results, but even in the unbeaten run there were draws where we could and should have won. Can't be complacent in saying "well at least it's a point"...if you win one game and lose the other then you'd still have one point more than two draws. The "six pointers" will be more important than ever this season. We saw what a bad run over Christmas could do...now two games later and we're above the line.

Prescriptions of heart medication to increase till May, one assumes.

The ability to get heart medication will depend on which Brexit it is. ;)

I'd also add that Accrington Stanley are currently tumbling down the table after a good start. They are only 5 points above us.

I think the biggest factor will be the team's mental toughness. Despite the injuries we've had, our squad is still too good to be as low as we are in the table. There's been some really good performances a times during the season but they've been too few and far between.

Far too often our players seem to lose concentration, make costly mistakes, or drop their heads after conceding (factors that I don't think Robinson's emotional management style helps!). Yesterday's performance showed signs that the players are capable of keeping their heads and concentration for a full 90 mins (aside from a poor mistake from Dickie), so let's just hope that becomes the norm and not a one off fluke.

I'd also add that Accrington Stanley are currently tumbling down the table after a good start. They are only 5 points above us.
Charlton fans furious within accy’s showing at their place yesterday, one of their players getting away with a proper stamp on Lyle Taylor. Seems they’re reverting to nasty lower league tactics, and I can see a full season in L1 being too much for them.

Have updated this...sure I saw someone with a much better version!

Screenshot 2019-01-23 at 09.41.57.png

Every match is clearly crucial, however at the start of March we have Scunthorpe/Gillingham/Rochdale/Bradford.

7 home wins is 21 points, isn't it? Or have we had fax machine issues again...

Back
Top Bottom