General Playoffs

Will we make the playoffs this season? (2020/21)

• Yes

Votes: 40 63.5%
  • No

Votes: 23 36.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yellows1

Interested to know who thinks we’re make it into them and who doesn’t, thoughts??

If I had to put my own money on it at evens then no but we’re in with a chance - 3/1 against I reckon.

Bookies have us 11/4, eighth favourite to make them.

They look more likely to make than the autos but I still think we’ll be reeling from the wasted start to the season by the time May comes around. Ordinarily the top two sides from this division will lose no more than 10 matches each and that will in all likelihood be met or surpassed this season which suggests it is a tighter division than usual (I can’t see Lincoln and Hull losing many but they have 6 and 8 defeats each). You can make the playoffs with 10-15 defeats and we’re already on 9 so not much room for error.

A lot of football to play though.

Depends if you think we’ve just been on a good run or that we’re getting better. I vote the latter, Wembley here we come! Can we lose there twice in one season?

I don't think we will, I think we will play nice football but we're not efficient or clinical enough.

Mirror the second half of the season exactly to the first and we finish with 74 points and will certainly be top 8. Absolutely no reason why we can't pick up draws that were defeats and wins that were draws. Reckon will finish on 78/79 points which should gives us 4th/5th place I think.

Heart says yeah we’re going to get in the play offs we’re also going to win the Pizza trophy but head says I dunno if we will make it to difficult for ourselves time will tell whatever does happen it could be an interesting couple of months coming up
COYY

We can definitely make it on a pure footballing basis but, as others have said, are we ruthless enough in both boxes at the crucial times. We will need a few performances like Ipswich away last season when we were rock solid at the back and took our chance when it came. Saturday was a classic example when our general performance spelt good enough for the automatics even but our lapses in crucial areas at crucial times would place us about where we are now.

I don't think we are *quite* good enough - although it depends how the new loanees bed in and whether they improve us significantly. But even so I think we are a bit too porous defensively.
We are hamstrung by the terrible start to the season again - two or three wins in that period and the picture looks different - but it gets harder to progress up the table the higher you go, because the other teams around you are of course more likely to be winning as well!
We might have a better idea after the next four league matches - a couple we really should win followed by a couple that are more tricky.

I can’t see us finishing ahead of Lincoln, Hull or Doncaster. So best we can really hope for is 4th, 5th or 6th. We can do it but we’ll need to go on another great run - losing to away Doncaster is one thing, but we’ll need to beat the likes of Bristol Rovers away and Wigan at home, so the next couple of games should give us a bit more of an idea. Win both convincingly and I think it’s back on, we’ve shown that we can get over a loss. 0-2 points and I think there’s little chance. Let’s see!

11/4 to finish Top 6 is an awful price

Who in their right mind would take 8/1 for Promotion when the only probability of gaining it is through the Play Offs and you can get 12/1 to win them which tells you how tight things are in this League There are still 15 teams with a chance of making them.

1/5 to finish Top Half has to be the call from a betting point of view.

I don't think it's just about the next 2 games, it's how many pts from the next 7 before the visit down the A420 and i'll predict 10 from those 7.

It's all about point accumulation, and even after an awful first 10 games, we got to the half way point on 37 points which would virtually guarantee top 8 as a minimum if repeated in the second half. But with momentum and the additions of Lee, Barker (and arguably Brannagan and Winnall), there's absolutely no reason why we can't do a lot better in this second half.

At home, since Swindon, we have drawn 3 and won 4 with the only goal conceded against Hull. We have home games against Portsmouth, Peterborough, Charlton, Doncaster, Blackpool and Lincoln before Easter. Draw 3 and win 4 of them and the situation looks pretty bloody good!!

I'd agree that two from Lincoln, Hull and Doncaster are looking good for the auto's, but look beyond them and it's still anyone from the top half still in with a shout.

Looking at the table I'd say we have a chance of scraping in to the top six, but no team below us will, so out of the top 11.

I can't see us catching any of the top three, Lincoln, Doncaster or Hull as they are not dropping enough points.

Catching Peterborough or Portsmouth will be difficult too. They have currently both played one more match than us, but are 9 and 8 points ahead. It'll take a big drop in form for any of the above teams, and for us to keep winning most games to get near them.

So, to me we are scrapping for sixth place, along with Sunderland, Accrington, Charlton, Ipswich and Crewe.
Crewe we can easily go above as they have played four more games. Hopefully, Accrington will falter as they usually do.

I think we have to win tomorrow and Saturday to stay in the hunt, as they are games the top teams would win.

There are also quite a few matches where teams above us will drop points by Saturday:
Hull v Lincoln
Posh v Ipswich
Crewe v Portsmouth
Lincoln v Accrington
Sunderland v Doncaster

Of course, anything may happen and we could still make the autos!

We still havent beaten anyone in the top 7 and only Accrington in the top 10 so I dont think we will make the play offs unfortunately. Hope I am proved wrong.

Last season, I thought we would be a point or two shy of the playoffs, but thanks to the early curtailment, we were included.

This year, I think we have a real chance of reaching them on merit and with one team traditionally falling out of the race (Hull having a bit of a wobble at the moment), a 5th/6th place shouldn't be out of the question.

It's all about point accumulation, and even after an awful first 10 games, we got to the half way point on 37 points which would virtually guarantee top 8 as a minimum if repeated in the second half. But with momentum and the additions of Lee, Barker (and arguably Brannagan and Winnall), there's absolutely no reason why we can't do a lot better in this second half.

At home, since Swindon, we have drawn 3 and won 4 with the only goal conceded against Hull. We have home games against Portsmouth, Peterborough, Charlton, Doncaster, Blackpool and Lincoln before Easter. Draw 3 and win 4 of them and the situation looks pretty bloody good!!

I'd agree that two from Lincoln, Hull and Doncaster are looking good for the auto's, but look beyond them and it's still anyone from the top half still in with a shout.
It would be a miracle :unsure:

Problem is it's not just about winning games in hand it's continue to win whilst others drop pts beyond that. i have predicted 10pts from the next 7 and would go for 27 as a bare minimum in those after to the end of the season to have an outside chance of the Play offs.. You then have to win the Play Offs or the season is meaningless.

This for me is why the Play offs is a get out of jail card when in real terms finishing far off the Top 2 means you failed and hides the real issue.

It would be a miracle :unsure:

Problem is it's not just about winning games in hand it's continue to win whilst others drop pts beyond that. i have predicted 10pts from the next 7 and would go for 27 as a bare minimum in those after to the end of the season to have an outside chance of the Play offs.. You then have to win the Play Offs or the season is meaningless.

This for me is why the Play offs is a get out of jail card when in real terms finishing far off the Top 2 means you failed and hides the real issue.
Well in those terms then 22 out of 24 teams will fail this season, which is an unnecessarily depressing way of looking at it. For a recently relegated big club with a large budget, missing the top two might indeed be a failure, but for impoverished Burton or Wigan then staying up would be a big success. For a midranking team like ours sixth place would be an achievement.

Back
Top Bottom