Match Buildup playoffs build up thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering the lad has been injured/ill for the past couple of years, I'd say he hasn't had enough chances to prove his worth. I seem to remember a youth player called Samuel Long being offered a six-month deal to prove his worth after injury, whatever happened to him?
And what happened to a certain Shandon Baptiste who was offered a short term deal and had 2 bad injuries?

It's a good thing that we give our young players opportunities to succeed rather than dismissing them as quickly as some on here do.

Are we having the drinks breaks in the play off games, or is that just the soft PL teams?

Drinks breaks haven't been mentioned, but I'd guess we will mirror these games.

Re synching with Radio Oxford, I've listened on FM at a home game and the radio was only about a second behind the live action based on hearing the ref's whistle. The TV will therefore be well behind Jerome if anyone's listening on FM.

I introduced my daughter to Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy on the Spectrum last week, she's programming a platform game in her IT class, so showed her where they all started. Not sure she was that impressed...

Great games. Many a happy hour spent playing them.

Loved my zx spectrum!

Some great games that seemed to define my childhood. Frank Bruno's Boxing, Paperboy, Attik Attak, Jet Set Willy, and Daley Thompson's Decathlon which was a joystick breaker!!

Skool Daze, Commando, Football Manager (with the stick figures) and Elite stick in my mind as well.

Daley Thompson Decathlon was a finger breaker as well if your joystick was knackered.

Considering the lad has been injured/ill for the past couple of years, I'd say he hasn't had enough chances to prove his worth. I seem to remember a youth player called Samuel Long being offered a six-month deal to prove his worth after injury, whatever happened to him?

Umm, he remains a bang average full back?...

Not sure if this has been mentioned. Goal line technology will be used in the play offs...

how reassuring ... especially after the first PL post lockdown match, when Sheffield United clearly scored against Villa, yet the 'goal' wasn't given, because the referee's beeper didn't say it was a goal :(

how reassuring ... especially after the first PL post lockdown match, when Sheffield United clearly scored against Villa, yet the 'goal' wasn't given, because the referee's beeper didn't say it was a goal :(
Sky commentators seemed to have been informed that the ref's "watch" beeped at half time, in the changing rooms!

Skool Daze, Commando, Football Manager (with the stick figures) and Elite stick in my mind as well.

Daley Thompson Decathlon was a finger breaker as well if your joystick was knackered.
remember waiting for ages to load the games with a tape recorder then right at the last minute the bloody thing would crash and you’d have to start from the beginning.
got a zx81 somewhere in my cupboard

Proper build up thread this. Covers:
- covid testing
- match viewing options and technology
- computer gaming of yesteryear
- match officiating technology

Team selection and score predictions next week perhaps? How times have changed ?.

remember waiting for ages to load the games with a tape recorder then right at the last minute the bloody thing would crash and you’d have to start from the beginning.
got a zx81 somewhere in my cupboard

Yes. ?

The 6 mins wait helped build anticipation I think. Also helped getting new games when you had a tape to tape recorder. :)

Last edited:
There hopefully will be some good build up over the next week on BBC Radio Oxford.

It would be good if Jerome is back on a 2pm tomorrow with some guests like they were doing a while back.

They have plenty to talk about with our biggest games in years.

Proper build up thread this. Covers:
- covid testing
- match viewing options and technology
- computer gaming of yesteryear
- match officiating technology

Team selection and score predictions next week perhaps? How times have changed ?.
Well TBF we don't normally start a matchday thread two weeks in advance having not seen any players on the pitch for three months!

Besides there was a link to a nice Spectrum emulator, so that's me sorted! (Level 9 adventures!)

And actually (answering your question at least a little) - these matches behind closed doors in various countries seem to have produced quite a high proportion of away wins compared to 'usual'. So let's be optimistic and suggest a win by a couple of goals at Portsmouth, followed by a 1-1 draw at Grenoble Road.

And actually (answering your question at least a little) - these matches behind closed doors in various countries seem to have produced quite a high proportion of away wins compared to 'usual'. So let's be optimistic and suggest a win by a couple of goals at Portsmouth, followed by a 1-1 draw at Grenoble Road.

For too early for score predictions ?. Give me a chance to set up the Commodore 64 this weekend first. Really hope the cassette loader works after all these years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom