General Players out on loan

Is it just me, or is there a lot of smoke and mirrors with our youth players coming through? A large number have played in the Tinpot Trophy at 16, 17 and 18, with the occasional place on the bench in a league game but then they seemingly drift toward a quiet release or long term injury, with the occasional loan spell thrown in. This enablse Robbo to talk-up the youth system, yet in reality, the returns are pretty low.

The younger players coming through seem to be the likes of McNally and Smyth (ie picked up elsewhere).

Unfair or not?
unfair imo ... even taking on board professional football is harsh

If OUFC were to take part in one of the EFL U23 leagues, IMO, it would give more development time to our own, homegrown, talent

The amount of games avaliable for the over 18s seems to be a bit of a minefield, we can't rely on loans as the only option for player development,

unfair imo ... even taking on board professional football is harsh

If OUFC were to take part in one of the EFL U23 leagues, IMO, it would give more development time to our own, homegrown, talent
There's clearly financial/logistical/footballing reasons why we've we're not doing it.

The other benefit, I would have thought, in going up against PL academies would be to scout players that they might release, and show off our exceptional training ground to them when they come to play.

There's clearly financial/logistical/footballing reasons why we've we're not doing it.

The other benefit, I would have thought, in going up against PL academies would be to scout players that they might release, and show off our exceptional training ground off to them when they come to play.
exactly that too

The downside, I would have thought, in going up against PL academies would be to show off our players that they might steal, and show off their exceptional training ground to them when they go to play.
Fixed that for you

Is it just me, or is there a lot of smoke and mirrors with our youth players coming through? A large number have played in the Tinpot Trophy at 16, 17 and 18, with the occasional place on the bench in a league game but then they seemingly drift toward a quiet release or long term injury, with the occasional loan spell thrown in. This enables Robbo to talk-up the youth system, yet in reality, the returns are pretty low.

The younger players coming through seem to be the likes of McNally and Smyth (ie picked up elsewhere).

Unfair or not?
I do think Robinson never helps himself with the bigging them up etc, And I do think there are times we could give some of these youngsters proper minutes instead of parading them in the jpt then the occasional chance to sit on the bench in a league game

I do think most of them though just aren’t good enough for a team chasing promotion in league one, I’m sure a couple will end up reaching this level again like Cundy has, But I think at the end of the day most of them when we let them go are ending up at conference South level or even lower, if they were really on the cusp of getting into our squad I think more of them would end up at a better level

Back
Top Bottom