Ex Player Alex Rodriguez Gorrin

I just wish people would stop being horrid to Karl. After all, he's proved he's a tactical genius now.

He was brilliant yesterday. My only qualm was that he didn't shoot more yesterday. He must have set up our midfielders 3 or 4 times for good goalscoring chances when he could have shot himself. With our midfielders scoring records I would rather he shot himself.
I really appreciate his mind set; relaxed, not selfish, believes in others. Exactly, what we need right now.

I don't think we've had a player in the time I've been watching the Yellows as dangerous in terms of raw technical ability as Barker. Off the top of my head, Johnson, Roofe, Whyte, even COD could all skin a man on their day, but Barker has the beating of literally any defender in the division unlucky enough to come up against him. It's incredible to watch, and such a shame we probably won't get a chance to actually see him doing his thing in the flesh.

I don't think we've had a player in the time I've been watching the Yellows as dangerous in terms of raw technical ability as Barker. Off the top of my head, Johnson, Roofe, Whyte, even COD could all skin a man on their day, but Barker has the beating of literally any defender in the division unlucky enough to come up against him. It's incredible to watch, and such a shame we probably won't get a chance to actually see him doing his thing in the flesh.

He sometimes reminds me of Marcus Browne. Think it’s probably because he carries the ball quickly, is strong and often likes to cut inside and shoot.

There may be a few of us allowed in for a Play Off Final if we made it there, so don't give up hope just yet.
That would start off the Season Ticket debate if they allowed 10,000 in from each team....

I’ve been thinking about this for a while and part of the problem is we have too many players either without a true position or the formation doesn’t suite them, I accept players like Forde/Long are useful to fill a few positions but feel we have too many in the squad:for example
Skyes - MF/LW/RW?
Ageyi - striker/LW/RW
Kelly- still not sure best MF position
Henry - CM/ LW/RW
Grayson- CB/LB/MF
I generally think recent recruitment has been disappointing not just personal, but after 3 years I would expect KR to have developed a squad which suites the football he wants to play?
Sean Clare an example of trying to play players in wrong positions, now doing quite well at Burton?

Last edited:
Three of the four you mentioned are bench players at best in this league as it stands at the moment. Agyei can make it as a striker (and possibly a winger if the game is set up right), but also blows hot and cold.
Sykes is a RM, but not a starter on this season's form. Ditto Kelly but in CM. Henry would normally be RM, but this season has seen a significant drop off in form. He is a CM now for me, but, again doesn't warrant a place.

• React
Reactions: m
Is there not also an issue with the formations now used in that the old 442 has 5 distinct outfield roles (FB, CB, CM, WM, FW) into which you could basically allocate any player, but modern 433, 4132, 4231 etc have blurred the lines between them, meaning that players have to fit into the roles available on the day rather than a set position.

Three of the four you mentioned are bench players at best in this league as it stands at the moment. Agyei can make it as a striker (and possibly a winger if the game is set up right), but also blows hot and cold.
Sykes is a RM, but not a starter on this season's form. Ditto Kelly but in CM. Henry would normally be RM, but this season has seen a significant drop off in form. He is a CM now for me, but, again doesn't warrant a place.
Agyei apparently blows hot and cold, but how many ‘cold’ games has he had as a central striker? I can’t remember any this season. Also can we also say that Matty Taylor also blows hot and cold, given that he’s had some very cold spells this season also?

I believe the main problem with Matty this year is that he has been told to take on the Mackie mantle and annoy/frustrate the opposition much to the detriment of his natural game.

Thoughts on next year contracts?
Extend:
Ruffles
Sykes (still think there is a good player there)
Gorrin

Release:
Hall
Henry (been a great player)
Mous (coaching role)
Winall (or list)
Hanson (list)
Eastwood
Sean Clare (list)

undecided:
Forde

loans:
Try and sign Mcguane, Lee and maybe shodipo, none of the others

Last edited:
Thoughts on next year contracts?
Extend:
Ruffles
Sykes (still think there is a good player there)
Gorrin

Release:
Hall
Henry (been a great player)
Mous (coaching role)
Winall (or list)
Hanson (list)
Eastwood
Sean Clare (list)

undecided:
Forde

loans:
Try and sign Mcguane, Lee and maybe shodipo, none of the others
Disagree with two.

Clare - keep but play in midfield, where he did well for us and is doing well at Burton (We could do with him in the team now). However, can't see KR doing that.

Sykes - let go. Has flashes of decent play, but nowhere near consistent enough and never influences games (for the better). Assists 0 goals 0. Also gives away far too many stupid fouls, regularly.

I’d definitely rather have Clare in the side over Sykes.

Barker and McGuane both on season long loans and you’re starting to build a good team.

With the squad size reducing to 20 (aged over 21 as of 1st January 2021 I assume) next season.
Here is the current state of play.

Under contract for 21/22 and beyond:

.10 Winnall

Please tell me you're winding me up. Winnall is going to be dangling round the footballers' necks for another season.

Hoping the squad cap will be removed, salary cap is OK, clubs should be able to spend it on pelicans as long as they put out 11 players throughout each match,

Please tell me you're winding me up. Winnall is going to be dangling round the footballers' necks for another season.

Hoping the squad cap will be removed, salary cap is OK, clubs should be able to spend it on pelicans as long as they put out 11 players throughout each match,

Did they not scrap the squad cap or was that just the salary cap?

Back
Top Bottom