Current Player Players in positions

southcoastyellow

I’ve been thinking about this for a while and part of the problem is we have too many players either without a true position or the formation doesn’t suite them, I accept players like Forde/Long are useful to fill a few positions but feel we have too many in the squad:for example
Skyes - MF/LW/RW?
Ageyi - striker/LW/RW
Kelly- still not sure best MF position
Henry - CM/ LW/RW
Grayson- CB/LB/MF
I generally think recent recruitment has been disappointing not just personal, but after 3 years I would expect KR to have developed a squad which suites the football he wants to play?
Sean Clare an example of trying to play players in wrong positions, now doing quite well at Burton?

Last edited:

Berliner

Three of the four you mentioned are bench players at best in this league as it stands at the moment. Agyei can make it as a striker (and possibly a winger if the game is set up right), but also blows hot and cold.
Sykes is a RM, but not a starter on this season's form. Ditto Kelly but in CM. Henry would normally be RM, but this season has seen a significant drop off in form. He is a CM now for me, but, again doesn't warrant a place.

Reactions: m

mooro

Is there not also an issue with the formations now used in that the old 442 has 5 distinct outfield roles (FB, CB, CM, WM, FW) into which you could basically allocate any player, but modern 433, 4132, 4231 etc have blurred the lines between them, meaning that players have to fit into the roles available on the day rather than a set position.

HampshireYellow

Three of the four you mentioned are bench players at best in this league as it stands at the moment. Agyei can make it as a striker (and possibly a winger if the game is set up right), but also blows hot and cold.
Sykes is a RM, but not a starter on this season's form. Ditto Kelly but in CM. Henry would normally be RM, but this season has seen a significant drop off in form. He is a CM now for me, but, again doesn't warrant a place.
Agyei apparently blows hot and cold, but how many ‘cold’ games has he had as a central striker? I can’t remember any this season. Also can we also say that Matty Taylor also blows hot and cold, given that he’s had some very cold spells this season also?

Coffin dodger

I believe the main problem with Matty this year is that he has been told to take on the Mackie mantle and annoy/frustrate the opposition much to the detriment of his natural game.