Players and staff not paid for March

@John Lennon are you still part of the backroom team at oufc? Genuine question as I'm often out if date with matters.

I left the role working for Darryl in August 2016. Initially I was involved on the football side, but his PA saw me as more of an odd job man, and that wasn't exactly my strong point. I felt I had a lot to offer, but things weren't right so we mutually agreed that I left.

It took its toll, as I had a pregnant girlfriend and 6 year old son, so I had to take a break from everything OUFC related. In recent months, I started to help the club again. This led to some positive things happening, including the Supporters Club, Sunderland 10k, and a connection between club and fans. (All the credit goes to club staff) There are some brilliant people at the club across all departments, but the lack of leadership and support for them meant I grew Increasingly frustrated that their efforts weren't being supported, I have again reluctantly had to stop helping out.

For the record, and given my passion for the club, I like what Karl Robinson is about. There are some excellent people on the football side. Same goes for the office staff. Some great people in there, but sadly let down by a lack of support and guidance. The Academy is really strong, and a lot of good work is going on within the Community Trust. The Women's team are doing great, so there is a lot to be positive about.

Even though I think he is a really good man, I don't think Niall is the right man to bring it together. Whether his hands are tied, or he isn't the leader we need, I am not sure. But there is a lot to be positive about, so this is a crucial area that needs to be a lot stronger.

Last edited:
I left the role working for Darryl in August 2016. Initially I was involved on the football side, but his PA saw me as more of an odd job man, and that wasn't exactly my strong point. I felt I had a lot to offer, but things weren't right so we mutually agreed that I left.

It took its toll, as I had a pregnant girlfriend and 6 year old son, so I had to take a break from everything OUFC related. In recent months, I started to help the club again. This led to some positive things happening, including the Supporters Club, Sunderland 10k, and a connection between club and fans. There are some brilliant people at the club across all departments, but the lack of leadership and support for them meant I grew Increasingly frustrated that their efforts weren't being supported, I have again reluctantly had to stop helping out.

For the record, and given my passion for the club, I like what Karl Robinson is about. There are some excellent people on the football side. Same goes for the office staff. Some great people in there, but sadly let down by a lack of support and guidance. The Academy is really strong, and a lot of good work is going on within the Community Trust. The Women's team are doing great, so there is a lot to be positive about.

Even though I think he is a really good man, I don't think Niall is the right man to bring it together. Whether his hands are tied, or he isn't the leader we need, I am not sure. But there is a lot to be positive about, so this is a crucial area that needs to be a lot stronger.
that’s a good read. cheers for a bit of an insight into what goes on behind the scenes

Glad this is now sorted.
Here’s to the next six games,52 points plus and no more “ incidents” off the pitch.
Then a close season announcement to clarify exactly what are Tiger & co’s firm plans and how they intend to fund same .

It took its toll, as I had a pregnant girlfriend and 6 year old son, so I had to take a break from everything OUFC related. In recent months, I started to help the club again. This led to some positive things happening, including the Supporters Club, Sunderland 10k, and a connection between club and fans. (All the credit goes to club staff) There are some brilliant people at the club across all departments, but the lack of leadership and support for them meant I grew Increasingly frustrated that their efforts weren't being supported, I have again reluctantly had to stop helping out.

Fair play to you, hopefully in the future you can have some involvement in the club and nice to hear some positive words about KR.

Fair play to you, hopefully in the future you can have some involvement in the club and nice to hear some positive words about KR.

I personally think the KR bashing needs to stop now. I think after the last few days it is clear what he has been up against this season. He has been a spokesmen for the owner on topics that he shouldn’t have to be. His focus should be fully on the footballing side, not whether the staff are going to get paid.

On the subject of the staff and their refusal to work today, I feel it was a day premature. If I was them I would of waited to see if wages were paid today like the club promised. If they hadn’t been paid today then I could completely understand the walk out.

Glad this is now sorted.
Here’s to the next six games,52 points plus and no more “ incidents” off the pitch.
Then a close season announcement to clarify exactly what are Tiger & co’s firm plans and how they intend to fund same .
I agree it would be great but we’ve been waiting over a year for some sort of clarification so I can’t see why it’ll suddenly happen this summer. Especially when it would appear that Tiger himself hasn’t got a scooby what he’s doing. I’m sorry but I’ve now lost all faith in this current regime. I agree there are some good things going on, but my suspicions that that is largely down to good staff going the extra mile rather than driven by leadership and a cohesive strategy at the top has only been reinforced by John Lennon’s post. The club is constantly being undermined by incompetent business practices and that is down to Tiger. And I also agree that we’re still waiting to find out what NM actually does.

of course we'll hear from our owner in the next 2 months or so as it's the time your cash is needed so get ready for the normal thanks for your support and what wonderful fans etc. no doubt usual soundbites about good standard of targets etc and despite the fact there will still be no mention of the past months debacles and no insight of plans going forward people will still fall for it becuase as the powers that be know it's our club and that's what they play on.

I'm not sure people 'fall for it' really. I'll be buying a season ticket because supporting my team is what I do - not because I suddenly believe that the current owner is wonderful, the manager a genius, the transfer pot endless or that the new players will be world beaters. I suspect the vast majority feel the same.

would love to know how he runs his other businesses. does he pay the Thai tax man on time (or whatever equivalent), communication with staff etc or is just down to running a football club from another country?
the summer will be interesting

I'm not sure people 'fall for it' really. I'll be buying a season ticket because supporting my team is what I do - not because I suddenly believe that the current owner is wonderful, the manager a genius, the transfer pot endless or that the new players will be world beaters. I suspect the vast majority feel the same.
Exactly. Which is what most supporters of oufc and all other clubs do.

I think people forget that most of us actually enjoy going to games, even if the football is not always all that, and take pleasure from supporting our team no matter how badly it’s run.

No one is falling for any spiel from whichever owner is screwing us, people are not that stupid, it’s just that 6,000 people actually want to go and watch Oxford United play and you have to pay for that privilege.

If it was just down to football, and the politics surrounding our club, I don't think I'd ever go.

For me it's all about meeting up with people who share my passion, for a beer/catch up/moan. Take Coventry for example, I must have spoken to 30 people thorough out the day. Given my mental health issues, I rarely see anyone outside of work. So when I do go, it is a joy, regardless of the result.

I've probably only been to 4 home games this season. But as I did last summer, I will be buying a season ticket again this summer. It is easy to think, because of the way the club is run, and the few home matches I go to now, that I won't bother next season. But I support Oxford United, the team I've loved since I was a young lad. That's why I will do my bit for the club, regardless of individuals or policies.

The club and fans are all that matter. I'd never let any individual or owner stop me supporting our great club.

If it was just down to football, and the politics surrounding our club, I don't think I'd ever go.

For me it's all about meeting up with people who share my passion, for a beer/catch up/moan. Take Coventry for example, I must have spoken to 30 people thorough out the day. Given my mental health issues, I rarely see anyone outside of work. So when I do go, it is a joy, regardless of the result.

I've probably only been to 4 home games this season. But as I did last summer, I will be buying a season ticket again this summer. It is easy to think, because of the way the club is run, and the few home matches I go to now, that I won't bother next season. But I support Oxford United, the team I've loved since I was a young lad. That's why I will do my bit for the club, regardless of individuals or policies.

The club and fans are all that matter. I'd never let any individual or owner stop me supporting our great club.

Amen to that!

Absolutely. I was a young lad sitting on my Dads shoulders in the early 60's watching the U's. Been going ever since and my lads sat on my shoulders. Hopefully their lads will sit on their shoulders!!
OUFC is a family. We have our ups and downs. Moans and laugh's etc. At the end of the day owner's, players etc come and go whilst we remain. Long may it continue!!
Up the U's
Come on you yellows!

Absolutely. I was a young lad sitting on my Dads shoulders in the early 60's watching the U's. Been going ever since and my lads sat on my shoulders. Hopefully their lads will sit on their shoulders!!
OUFC is a family. We have our ups and downs. Moans and laugh's etc. At the end of the day owner's, players etc come and go whilst we remain. Long may it continue!!
Up the U's
Come on you yellows!

Down in front!

Without wanting to speak for Horseman, I think his post has been misunderstood a little. I think the point he was trying to make is that Tiger is very fortunate in that no matter how incompetent he continues to be, it won’t have as big an impact on him financially as it possibly could due to the bond the supporters have with the club. This ‘industry’ for want of a better word, is unique in that respect and it’s a shame when people take it for granted and exploit it.

The feel good factor of an owner running a club well, would have a certain affect on income to the club but not sure how much? 5% maybe. I still think he has good intentions for the club. In hindsight we should have brought in less players that had injury risks. If we'd had a better performance on the pitch earlier on in the season the owner would have got much less criticism.

The feel good factor of an owner running a club well, would have a certain affect on income to the club but not sure how much? 5% maybe. I still think he has good intentions for the club. In hindsight we should have brought in less players that had injury risks. If we'd had a better performance on the pitch earlier on in the season the owner would have got much less criticism.
I doubt that winding up orders and non-payment of staff would have have gone unremarked upon! But it's all part of the same approach - from the very first press conference to the latest debacle of staff wages, ST has looked unorganised and unprofessional and events seem to bear that out. I guess the onfield performance hasn't helped in that it's contributed to a generally downbeat atmosphere, but I am sure we would be pretty worried about the off-field events whatever the on-field situation.

Back
Top Bottom