Player ratings vs Fleetwood...

Except that today the problem wasn't mostly when he had the ball. It was when the opponents were running at him and THEY had it. His positioning was terrible, his tackling non-existent and his lack of pace frighteningly exposed. I must admit that until this thread I didn't realise he is 25 years old, I thought he was much younger.
He looked more like 55.

Shearer - 4 - just not up to it! Slow distribution. Have away unnecessary penalty.

McMahon - 5 - better than Barnsley. Still some work to do. Very slow!

Nelson and Dickie - 6 - coped relatively well and limited Fleetwood to very few chances. Their main chances came from a foul and a penalty or break aways from our corners.

Garbutt - 4 - what is going on? Looks bereft of confidence. I was expecting a superstar, like Baldock.

Brannagan - 4 - really poor today and gave up lots of possession. A couple of nice cross field passes.

Ruffels - 5 - much improved from Barnsley but not good enough to be a League 1 starter.

Holmes - 6 - a few nice runs and touches but no end product. Excited to see him when fully settled.

Mackie - 1 - anonymous. Didn't do anything of note other than miss a sitter!

Hall - 2 - didn't get into the game at all. Very poor showing.

Smith - 4 - worked hard. No support for him up top. Should have done better with his chance.

Browne - 5 - showed glimpses of promise. Awful tackle, rightly booked.

Henry - 3 - didn't get into the game.

Obika - not enough time.

Massive improvements are needed and quickly!

Interesting to see someone else's opinion - I would never have said that Holmes would rate equally with Nelson and Dickie, or that Garbutt was as good/bad as Brannagan and Smith - but we all see things differently! Which is what makes the forum interesting.

Shearer - 4 - just not up to it! Slow distribution. Have away unnecessary penalty.

McMahon - 5 - better than Barnsley. Still some work to do. Very slow!

Nelson and Dickie - 6 - coped relatively well and limited Fleetwood to very few chances. Their main chances came from a foul and a penalty or break aways from our corners.

Garbutt - 4 - what is going on? Looks bereft of confidence. I was expecting a superstar, like Baldock.

Brannagan - 4 - really poor today and gave up lots of possession. A couple of nice cross field passes.

Ruffels - 5 - much improved from Barnsley but not good enough to be a League 1 starter.

Holmes - 6 - a few nice runs and touches but no end product. Excited to see him when fully settled.

Mackie - 1 - anonymous. Didn't do anything of note other than miss a sitter!

Hall - 2 - didn't get into the game at all. Very poor showing.

Smith - 4 - worked hard. No support for him up top. Should have done better with his chance.

Browne - 5 - showed glimpses of promise. Awful tackle, rightly booked.

Henry - 3 - didn't get into the game.

Obika - not enough time.

Only thing I disagree with was giving Hall a 2. Fleetwood obviously sussed him as a danger man and he never had less than two (sometimes 3) men marking him throughout the time he was on the field. With absolutely no help from either the fullback or Branagan he never had any real chance to shine.

Only thing I disagree with was giving Hall a 2. Fleetwood obviously sussed him as a danger man and he never had less than two (sometimes 3) men marking him throughout the time he was on the field. With absolutely no help from either the fullback or Branagan he never had any real chance to shine.
Mmm...not convinced, he looked a bit lacklustre and was hobbling a fair bit at times ....didn't look fully fit.

And yet those two had us top of League Two at Christmas. So just how bad are these ones ?

I was more thinking of the Cambridge lightbulb moment. However, Hunt wasn't first choice that season so I guess my memory is not what it was. That said, I didn't rate either.

I guess Garbage would just go back to Everton at the end of the season if we got relegated on his £26k/week!!

McMahon - 5 - better than Barnsley. Still some work to do. Very slow! - Cameron Norman or Ruffles?

Garbutt - 4 - what is going on? Looks bereft of confidence. I was expecting a superstar, like Baldock. - Potential, needs time

Brannagan - 4 - really poor today and gave up lots of possession. A couple of nice cross field passes. Tried to be everywhere

Ruffels - 5 - much improved from Barnsley but not good enough to be a League 1 starter. - Full back cover with pace

Holmes - 6 - a few nice runs and touches but no end product. Excited to see him when fully settled. Best player on the pitch

Mackie - 1 - anonymous. Didn't do anything of note other than miss a sitter! Unfit or legs gone - didn't get involved

Hall - 2 - didn't get into the game at all. Very poor showing. Man marked a lot of the time - Fleetwood had seen what he did at Barnsley

Smith - 4 - worked hard. No support for him up top. Should have done better with his chance. Needs another alongside him - 4 4 2

Browne - 5 - showed glimpses of promise. Awful tackle, rightly booked. Looks useful

Henry - 3 - didn't get into the game. Give the bloke a chance - he had an uphill start and instantly made a difference - but too late

Obika - not enough time. Give him a chance alongside Smith in a 442 and if he still can't produce it'll need another. Whyte worth a go?

Agreed - GK Shearer woeful. Ruffles at RB for some pace and forward play. Hanson in. Henry and Browne to start with Holmes. Not convinced a lone striker can cut it at this level. Just like England - approach play and no end product. Fleetwood hit us on the break. They broke up any of our forward flow by niggling fouls and constantly kicking the ball away. With two up front any side would have more to think about and not as able to get forward so often or as quickly. Just my opinion.

Agreed - GK Shearer woeful. Ruffles at RB for some pace and forward play. Hanson in. Henry and Browne to start with Holmes. Not convinced a lone striker can cut it at this level. Just like England - approach play and no end product. Fleetwood hit us on the break. They broke up any of our forward flow by niggling fouls and constantly kicking the ball away. With two up front any side would have more to think about and not as able to get forward so often or as quickly. Just my opinion.
Garbutt. What can one say? Made Tiendalli look good. He was rinsed the whole game.

Don’t you mean Ruffles LB

Shearer - 4 - Silly penalty and appeared extremely slow at getting down.
McMahon - 4. Not good enough for me. Offered nothing going forward.
Garbutt - 5. Better than McMahon but improvement needed. Seems to have more about him going forward than TM too.
Nelson - 6. Solid
Dickie - 5.5. Given a rough ride by Evans in second half
Ruffels - 5. Fairly anonymous
Brannigan- 4. Poor distribution and not strong enough in the tackle
Hall - 3. Poor
Holmes - 7. Showed some class but goes down easily. Will annoy me if he continues like that
Mackie - 5. Saw glimpses of optimism. Tracks back well enough but should have scored
Smith - 6.5. Great first touch but very isolated. Should have scored.

Browne - Headless chicken comes to mind
Henry and Obika - not on long enough to rate

Robinson - 3. we were being over run in midfield and our full backs need more going forward or we will always invite pressure. Charlton fans always said he was and it appeared like that today.

Reviewing the highlights, what on the earth is McMahon doing for their first goal?!! Ooooh Evans has his hand on his wrist, lets roll over on the ground. You're a L1 defender ffs!
Garbutt was incredibly unpopular around me yesterday.
Ruffels and Brannagan cannot play together as a CM pairing if we want to achieve anything this season.

Holmes deserves a 7 or 8 for actually showing some semblance of ability.
Nelson 6 or 7, he won everything that came his way
The rest were very very poor.

Think that’s main problem we lack both creativity in the middle & an defensive side to our game when teams attack our midfield there nowhere to be seen (you can drive a bus through our midfield at the moment) hopefully Hanson will come in soon & be make a presence in there

The lack of creativity is a worry specially with all the attacking options bar (Ricky Holmes on yesterday performance) we had 2 great chances all game Smith going through & Mackies woeful miss, if that continues I think he will have to look at playing either 4-3-1-2 something KR did last season or 4-3-3 with a midfield three of Hanson in the centre with Brannagan & Browne getting forward to happy the front 3
The way things have gone I would go 4-1-2-3 with Mous just in front of the back 4. That can become 4-3-3 when we are in possession and gives us a good base for counter attacking now we have more pace. There were still too many hit and hope balls up to Smith which he was never going to win. Play like we did the last two games and we'll get beaten every week!! The two full backs need to pull their fingers out and how Mackie starts over Henry only Robinson knows. I thought it was a poor show from Robbo. Left it far too late to change things. Hall had a couple of strong challenges on him early and and he treated the ball like a hot spud after that. Needs to get used to it. He knows its coming so has to get his mind right to deal with it, something that Holmes did quite well.

Back
Top Bottom