Player ratings vs Fleetwood...

Loathe to write anyone off on the one (terrible) performance I have seen but Garbutt looked like he lacked the bottle for a physical battle, turned away from challenges a few times, he is playing at left back in league one, if you can’t put the boot in occasionally then you ain’t going to play, he was a liability. We have to hope for a big improvement.

I think our problems are midfield, fitness, and cohesion. The good news is that they these should all naturally improve. Garbutt is on 20k a week and plays for Everton, he must be better than that. We know Hall is. It will be OK

Bloody hell... £20k a week!! Looked more like YTS on minimum wage. Woeful.

Loathe to write anyone off on the one (terrible) performance I have seen but Garbutt looked like he lacked the bottle for a physical battle, turned away from challenges a few times, he is playing at left back in league one, if you can’t put the boot in occasionally then you ain’t going to play, he was a liability. We have to hope for a big improvement.

I think a big part of it is confidence, he was looking to shift the ball on as quick as possible today. The lack of confidence hopefully is due to hardly playing many ‘real games’ for a long time.

Got a feeling when he gets up to speed people will soon forget these first few performances of his...

I think a big part of it is confidence, he was looking to shift the ball on as quick as possible today. The lack of confidence hopefully is due to hardly playing many ‘real games’ for a long time.

Got a feeling when he gets up to speed people will soon forget these first few performances of his...
Except that today the problem wasn't mostly when he had the ball. It was when the opponents were running at him and THEY had it. His positioning was terrible, his tackling non-existent and his lack of pace frighteningly exposed. I must admit that until this thread I didn't realise he is 25 years old, I thought he was much younger.

Except that today the problem wasn't mostly when he had the ball. It was when the opponents were running at him and THEY had it. His positioning was terrible, his tackling non-existent and his lack of pace frighteningly exposed. I must admit that until this thread I didn't realise he is 25 years old, I thought he was much younger.

I totally agree about the positional side of things. I still do think confidence has a part to play in his performance though.

I’m also another one that thought he was younger than 25!!

Smith ran out of puff today, but he will be a player for this team. When Holmes was in the 10 role, they caused problems as a partnership.

We really missed a ball winner in the middle of the park today. As hard as Ruffels tries, the game just goes past him and with the formation we are playing, I think he's better suited to left back.

The fullbacks main role is to defend, forget what they do going forwards for now because they aren’t doing the fundamental part of their role.

How many crosses into the box did either of them stop?

I can’t remember a single one.

If you aren’t doing that, you aren’t worthy of a place in the side regardless of how well you can attack.

I feel sorry for whoever plays upfront at the moment as they are largely feeding off scraps and when they do manage to make something of the balls forward they are often left to fend off three defenders until they inevitably lose the ball.

The poor performances of Mackie and Hall today didn’t really give Smith much of a chance to make an impact on the game.

Of course Eastwood’s injury wasn’t ideal, but did this really have an impact on the result?

Not for me. The first goal was an easy finish that not many keepers would have saved, the penalty whilst reckless was at a stage where the game was gone.

I can’t see what kind of leaders and scrappers we have in the side now, think back to the team from around 96/97 ish and the names who were part of that:

Mike Ford
Martin Gray
Stuart Massey
Matt Elliott
Paul Moody
Darren Purse

Players who could take the team by the scruff of the neck and pull them through poor performances through work rate and endeavour.

Who do we have in that mould now?

I can’t think of a single one.
Whilst i get what your saying about the fullbacks, i do think if a fullback defending isn't the best then they need to use the attacking side of the game to there advantage, we saw last season with Ricardinho, he was a suspect defender but his attacking threat pinned wingers back and stopped them from being effective. Forexample he was against Lyle Taylor in the home game against Wimbledon last season and nullified him because he was so effective going forward.

Fullbacks do need to get tighter to men though, Garbutt is almost like a 3rd centre back and defends from about 5yds away, countless amount of times the RW had a free cross into box.

The only leader i see in that side isn't even on the pitch. Yes he is a suspect defender but i would drop the number 10 go to 3 in the centre of park and play Mousinho, yes he is hit and miss but he is a leader, he should be for us what Dean Marney was for Fleetwood today. The guy who does the simple sideways passes and breaks up play and allows Brannagan and Hanson to play with more freedom. Brannagan cannot play in a midfield two without an enforcer there [What Ledson was] someone who does the pressing and goes into the tackles and gives him time on the ball to pick out a 30yd pass.

Full backs & the central midfield is a massive issue at present we are a easy touch in them areas, Fleetwood didn’t have the class of Barnsley be still exposed our most vulnerable areas with ease, thought be could of done with a Dean Marney in the centre for us

Am I the only one who thought Ruffels put in a shift today?

Feel for smith today. Was desperately trying to make things happen but with lottle service to him and feeding off scraps. He'll learn a lot and as someone said I think help be a assett. Needs a strike partner.

Ruffels does what it says on the tin, but nothing more. There’s no creativity from our central midfield pairing.

Ruffels does what it says on the tin, but nothing more. There’s no creativity from our central midfield pairing.
Agreed. Ruffles seems very much a safety-first type of player. Not necessarily a bad thing but when the movement and creativity is lacking around him it exposes this. We desperately need that midfielder who will take things by the scruff of the neck and dictate a bit more.

But that will be all for nought if we don't have the players looking space, providing movement and options which, Holmes aside, was conspicuous by its absence yesterday. We need to pull teams around/out of shape a bit more if we want to create more clear-cut chances.

Think that’s main problem we lack both creativity in the middle & an defensive side to our game when teams attack our midfield there nowhere to be seen (you can drive a bus through our midfield at the moment) hopefully Hanson will come in soon & be make a presence in there

The lack of creativity is a worry specially with all the attacking options bar (Ricky Holmes on yesterday performance) we had 2 great chances all game Smith going through & Mackies woeful miss, if that continues I think he will have to look at playing either 4-3-1-2 something KR did last season or 4-3-3 with a midfield three of Hanson in the centre with Brannagan & Browne getting forward to happy the front 3

Ruffels spent the whole match trying to cover for the total lack of ability from Garbutt and Mackie. He was continually being dragged out to the wing to try to cover the gaping holes occurring there. Unlike Branagan he actually put in a lot of covering tackle. Also unlike Branagan he actually passed to his own players on more than one occasion. Not the world's greatest creative player. But he did the job of holding player to the best of his ability.

Feel for smith today. Was desperately trying to make things happen but with lottle service to him and feeding off scraps. He'll learn a lot and as someone said I think help be a assett. Needs a strike partner.

Issue is he's not going to get one. He plays a different style to Obika, who we've used all throughout preseason, and did better linking up what little play we had against Barnsley.

As much as other people hate to hear it, Obika needs to start, with Smith better off the bench against tired legs.

Back
Top Bottom